Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's say you have your display set to anything other than the "Odometer & Oil Life" setting. Try Trip A, for example.

Now, open the door with the engine running, close the door and walk away with the fob. The vehicle will yell at you and the display will change to No Key. As soon as you come back with the key and open the door, the display will change to the Odometer & Oil Life display, not the display that it was set to before the No Key message.

It seems like the display loses it's memory and doesn't know where it was when the fob left the area. It's an annoyance that I fell victim to a few times on my first road trip since buying the van. It took a couple of times of climbing into the driver's seat and seeing a different display than I had set it to before I figured out what was happening.

If the van can remember what it was set to when you shut it down and walk away with the fob, you'd think it could remember what it was set to when you leave it running. Geez.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I agree with you - it is annoying when it happens. But a few presses of the dash button and you are at whatever display you wanted. Do you often walk away with the car running and driver's door closed?

On a side tangent, I wonder how it works then with the remote-start Odysseys. I would assume they would have some bypass to allow the van to start and run without the remote inside.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree with you - it is annoying when it happens. But a few presses of the dash button and you are at whatever display you wanted. Do you often walk away with the car running and driver's door closed?
Sure. It's not uncommon for me to go back into the house if I forgot something or if I want to leave the AC/Heat on for the passengers.

On my first-in-this-van road trip over the past weekend, there was a lot of in and out of the Airbnb as I loaded stuff for our day trips. Coolers, etc. Since parking wasn't right in front of the Airbnb, I often moved the van closer, left it running to cool in the >90° heat and started loading. That's when I first noticed the change in the display and wondered what the heck was going on.

On a side tangent, I wonder how it works then with the remote-start Odysseys. I would assume they would have some bypass to allow the van to start and run without the remote inside.
I'll find out fairly soon. That will be the next upgrade after the hitch and ATF cooler are installed.

·
Registered
14,125 Posts
I learned to take the key out of my pocket and drop it into a cup holder when leaving a keyless vehicle running. Probably not a good idea if you are leaving it running far away from where you are parked. I usually do this when someone else is in the vehicle and I need to keep the A/C on. It will complain even if there is another key inside. It has to be the key that started it.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I learned to take the key out of my pocket and drop it into a cup holder when leaving a keyless vehicle running.
Why? Other than the beeps (which don't bother me at all) and the changing display (which is only a minor annoyance) what else happens when you walk away with the fob?

What makes it worth digging into your pocket for the fob?

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,054 Posts
Not much bothers me about how the keyless start behaves. I get more irritated about how my wife behaves with the keyless start.

I am sufficiently old-school to believe that the driver of a vehicle is in command of it and should therefore have control of all its functions, starting with the key. My wife, on the other hand, is happy to have a vague-at-best awareness of the key's general whereabouts because "The van started didn't it? The key must be here someplace." :rolleyes:

I acknowledge that my annoyance with this is probably disproportionate to the problem itself.

·
Registered
14,125 Posts
The beeps annoy the person left in in the vehicle. (the reason to leave it running in the first place)

My wife keeps her keys on a lanyard, that in her car that had a key, had to be wrapped around the ignition. I always tried to use my own keys when we took her car. Now that she has an RDX with the same keyless set up, I'm not sure how she deals. The lanyard does make them hard to loose. I also get to call her coach.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The beeps annoy the person left in in the vehicle. (the reason to leave it running in the first place)
Does it beep more than that first series of "Hey! Where you going?" beeps? Does it repeat at some time interval? If so, I haven't experienced that yet.

My wife keeps her keys on a lanyard, that in her car that had a key, had to be wrapped around the ignition. I always tried to use my own keys when we took her car. Now that she has an RDX with the same keyless set up, I'm not sure how she deals. The lanyard does make them hard to loose. I also get to call her coach.
I'm just getting used to mine. I've only had the van for about 2 weeks (first key less vehicle) and since I'm working from home, it hasn't gotten as much use as it normally would.

Before we left for our first road trip this weekend, I decided to try something other than my pocket since I need the fob to unlock the van, open the windows, the hatch, the sliders, etc. This seemed to work out fine:

We were in and out of van lots of times over the weekend and keeping the fob hanging on my belt loop made it easily accessible. It also explains why it's easier to just walk away with the fob vs. unhooking it and leaving it in the van.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts