Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This started about a week ago. At night, when I turn on my headlights, only the left light goes on. If the brights are engaged, they both go on, but when I switch back to low beams, the right one goes out.

When I hit the horn, the right one goes on. I've duplicated this several times.

If I turn the lights off and turn them back on, it's still on. It doesn't happen again until the next day.

No, I am not making this up, nor am I trolling. I am totally serious.

I have three theories on this:

1. The filament is loose in the bulb, and the act of honking the horn knocks it into place. All I need to do is buy a new bulb.

2. There is a loose connecting and the act of honking the horn knocks it into place. All I need to do is check the connections.

I don't think either of these are the cases as driving doesn't seem to have any effect. Which leads to:

3. There is some weird electrical failure happening, the act of honking the horn triggers something that sends the current to the bulb.

I was discussing this at a friend's house last night (upon leaving I demonstrated the problem for him!) and he thought that since both the lights and the horn are associated with the alarm that the problem could be there.

Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
When you switch to low beam it goes out because the high and low beams have their own filiments. Why haven't you tried the steps you mentioned instead of talking about it. You will get a million guesses here on what it could be. Change the bulb to rule it out and check the socket for corrosion while you are at it. Check all the connectors and wiggle the cablesro see if it comes on. From there you need to get a voltmeter and start isolating it. As for the horn turning it on could be a short in the cable or a backfeed circuit.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In terms of a quick push on the wires, I tried that already.

Alas, tonight, the light would not go on when I honked the horn, so I need a new bulb.

The honk the horn working so consistently was just weird, though, so I had to ask.

Time to order new bulbs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Check for a loose connection to ground. There are several, front fender, engine block, frame etc.. Usually when weird things happen when they shouldn't, (i.e. horn honking with the blinker or such) a loose connection is to blame.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts