Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's 2012 stalled out her and after tearing into the engine I found the forward bank of cylinders (4,5,6) timing was advanced almost one spoke of the cam gear. Now more curious was the timing belt is in perfect condition. Cylinder 5 is hitting the intake valves due to being off time(duh)

Now, has anyone seen this? Any ideas?

My most likely course of action is replace timing belt & replace head most likely. I thought maybe the timing belt tensioner took a dump but it doesn't make sense the forward bank advancing nearly 60 deg.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you know the other half, I'm interested in hearing it as well. I didn't install the timing belt. The van has ~175000.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
you positive the tensioner didn't fail or wasnt weak?

any legible writing left on the belt? curious what brand it was or if it was genuine.

the fake belts are rubber without the neoprene and polyurethane, and are not stiff when you press the ribs together and try to bend the belt.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Almost one spoke...not one tooth? Advanced nearly 60 degrees is quite alot. 60 degrees is 1/6 of a circle, and having 6 cylinders, it sounds like that specific cam was not at top dead center on cylinder 1 when the belt was installed. Was the timing belt replaced recently? Was the car running OK before it stalled? Very strange.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's what i was wondering, it seems like the tensioner is still tight. But it could've loosened up. I was going to replace it just to cover my bases. There's some rust looking powder over in that area so my thought was tensioner failed.

The belt had no markings on it but felt the same as the gates belt I'm replacing it with. I'll check again to let you know what brand.

I figured since the piston has hit the valves on the fwd head to just replace the head. Expensive, yes but I'm not sure how much damage there is you know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The engine ran fine before the failure. My first thought was broken camshaft but it seems to be turning all the valves. (I removed the valve covers) It puzzles me how just the fwd bank advanced a spoke. I noticed it by pulling all the plugs and turning the engine until i heard/ felt the engine stop. I borescoped number 5 and saw the valves hitting the piston.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
4,962 Posts
I figured since the piston has hit the valves on the fwd head to just replace the head. Expensive, yes but I'm not sure how much damage there is you know.
Since you're planning on fixing it anyway, you might as well just put a new belt on first and see if it runs. Sometimes you can get lucky and even if you don't, the new belt which you were already going to put on anyway is already on and you can proceed with the head replacement.

·
Registered
2011 Odyssey LX, 120k miles
2,149 Posts
Since you're planning on fixing it anyway, you might as well just put a new belt on first and see if it runs. Sometimes you can get lucky and even if you don't, the new belt which you were already going to put on anyway is already on and you can proceed with the head replacement.
It seems impossible, but there have been reports on here of that happening - a failed belt allowing valve-piston contact, yet it is fine after a new TB job.

Even before completing the new TB job, if you can manage to set the cams and crank to proper positions (do the job of the belt, whether it is there or not), you could do a leakdown test - e.g., starting on cylinder #5 since that is the one in most doubt. That would very directly let you know if the valves are sealing, without needing to go through the whole reassembly, and possibly a compression test, then firing it up.

Good luck in this. I have scanned pages for the TB job from my 2011 manual, so if you can't find other sources, let me know and I will email it to you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll do that. It's just a little bit of extra time.

I couldn't tell if the camshaft was distorted or warped. It's hard to see under the rockers and brackets. It's just baffling how it could get that far out of time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'll do that. It's just a little bit of extra time.

I couldn't tell if the camshaft was distorted or warped. It's hard to see under the rockers and brackets. It's just baffling how it could get that far out of time.

even if the camshaft is broken, it may still turn everything it touches.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
2,837 Posts
the gates belt I'm replacing it with.
This might be the issue right there...

Many reports of issues with (modern) Gates timing belts. Go OEM or with Aisin kit for max reliability.

A weak/leaky tensioner could allow the belt to skip, or a weak/stretchy/bad belt could do the same.

-Charlie

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
4,962 Posts
With the known weak camshafts on these VCM-2 engines, a broken camshaft wouldn't surprise me too much.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright, after a little more troubleshooting I found the tensioner is shot. Im going to inspect the head more to see if i have to replace it. I don't want to unless i have to.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update
I replaced the tensioner and put the engine all back together with a new belt as well and still the engine stumbles and is running rough. Threw error codes: random misfire, cyl 4,5,6 misfire as well. So Im ordering a head tomorrow and installing it later.

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate the help. Also i noticed several cracks in the upper intake manifold where a bolt is located to sandwhich the halves together. The joys of car ownership...

·
Registered
304 Posts
Update
I replaced the tensioner and put the engine all back together with a new belt as well and still the engine stumbles and is running rough. Threw error codes: random misfire, cyl 4,5,6 misfire as well. So Im ordering a head tomorrow and installing it later.

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate the help. Also i noticed several cracks in the upper intake manifold where a bolt is located to sandwhich the halves together. The joys of car ownership...

I would replace that intake before I touch the heads. It very well could be that you have a vacuum leak causing the misfires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts