Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've searched a number of ways through the forums and have read many wonderful discussions which dance right around my situation, but don't quite seem to address my issue. Hopefully someone with a bit more experience can give me an idea of where to start.

Our 2000 EX has changed behavior this week. I changed the battery after it was dead, but can't say if the old battery was a symptom or a cause. I suspect the former.

The master light switch on the dashboard (to the right of the radio) has three positions. The upper position has a picture of what appears to be a lit bulb, the center position has a picture of a car door, and the bottom position has the word "OFF" on it. For purposes of this discussion, I'm going to call these three positions "ON", "AUTO", and "OFF".

Normally, when the master light switch is in the "Auto" position, the interior lights will come on when either a door is opened or the unlock button on the FOB is pressed. Then after a short period, assuming the door has been closed again, they will automatically turn off. Alternatively, if the doors are closed and the lock button on the FOB is pressed, the lights will turn off immediately (and the doors will lock as well). Normal exceptions to this behavior are when a light has been manually turned on by pressing the button (driver and passenger lamps) or the lens itself (2nd and 3rd rows) or if the switch is in the on position (rear cargo).

Also normal, when the master switch is set to the "On" position, they all turn on, and when the master switch is set to the "Off" position, they all turn off. Exceptions to the master off include the front row and rear cargo lamps which can be switched on manually regardless of the master switch.

Our van has functioned like this perfectly since we bought it used seven years ago. So much for the normal stuff. On to the changed behavior.

Now, the interior lights will not shut off when the master switch is in the "Auto" position. They appear to be dimmed just a bit, but all are solidly on. When a door is opened or when the unlock button on the FOB is pressed, a "click" is heard under the dash and all lights come up to full brightness. After all doors have been closed, the lights will dim again after a couple of moments (about the same amount of time after which they used to go off, if I'm recalling accurately). Alternatively, if the lock button on the FOB is pressed after the door is closed, the lights will dim immediately. Basically, it's the same behavior as before, but instead of going off, they dim slightly. I don't have access to a photometer, but in layman's terms I would say that they dim to about 75% of their full brightness - enough to tell they have dimmed, but not a great drop in light output. Another detail I've noticed is that while they are in this dimmed state, if you manually turn on any light, it will get brighter and will remain so until manually turned back off.

As far as I can tell, the "On" and "Off" positions of the master light switch still function completely normally. "On" turns them all on full brightness and "Off" turns them all off, overriding the second and third rows while allowing the front row and rear cargo to come on when manually switched on.

Currently, we are riding around with the switch always in the "Off" position. However, it would be really nice if the lights came on automatically when the van is unlocked or when the door is opened, like they used to. Especially at night.

Thanks for any insight you might have as to what part or fuse has failed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi Did U Clean the Battery Black negative cable and Terminal
Check of any Loose Ground around the Engine Bay
If u Own a Multimeter Check Ur Voltage when lights r dimmed down
It should read 12V or more............ Remove the plastic cover of any light and Test it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cleaned the negative lead and am sure nothing is loose under the hood.

I've not tested one of the lamps, but don't see how measuring the current will explain why there is current when there should not be.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oops, the Chilton link says my library session has timed out. Is it only accessible from libraries that subscribe to their database?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've searched a number of ways through the forums and have read many wonderful discussions which dance right around my situation, but don't quite seem to address my issue. Hopefully someone with a bit more experience can give me an idea of where to start.

Our 2000 EX has changed behavior this week. I changed the battery after it was dead, but can't say if the old battery was a symptom or a cause. I suspect the former.

The master light switch on the dashboard (to the right of the radio) has three positions. The upper position has a picture of what appears to be a lit bulb, the center position has a picture of a car door, and the bottom position has the word "OFF" on it. For purposes of this discussion, I'm going to call these three positions "ON", "AUTO", and "OFF".

Normally, when the master light switch is in the "Auto" position, the interior lights will come on when either a door is opened or the unlock button on the FOB is pressed. Then after a short period, assuming the door has been closed again, they will automatically turn off. Alternatively, if the doors are closed and the lock button on the FOB is pressed, the lights will turn off immediately (and the doors will lock as well). Normal exceptions to this behavior are when a light has been manually turned on by pressing the button (driver and passenger lamps) or the lens itself (2nd and 3rd rows) or if the switch is in the on position (rear cargo).

Also normal, when the master switch is set to the "On" position, they all turn on, and when the master switch is set to the "Off" position, they all turn off. Exceptions to the master off include the front row and rear cargo lamps which can be switched on manually regardless of the master switch.

Our van has functioned like this perfectly since we bought it used seven years ago. So much for the normal stuff. On to the changed behavior.

Now, the interior lights will not shut off when the master switch is in the "Auto" position. They appear to be dimmed just a bit, but all are solidly on. When a door is opened or when the unlock button on the FOB is pressed, a "click" is heard under the dash and all lights come up to full brightness. After all doors have been closed, the lights will dim again after a couple of moments (about the same amount of time after which they used to go off, if I'm recalling accurately). Alternatively, if the lock button on the FOB is pressed after the door is closed, the lights will dim immediately. Basically, it's the same behavior as before, but instead of going off, they dim slightly. I don't have access to a photometer, but in layman's terms I would say that they dim to about 75% of their full brightness - enough to tell they have dimmed, but not a great drop in light output. Another detail I've noticed is that while they are in this dimmed state, if you manually turn on any light, it will get brighter and will remain so until manually turned back off.

As far as I can tell, the "On" and "Off" positions of the master light switch still function completely normally. "On" turns them all on full brightness and "Off" turns them all off, overriding the second and third rows while allowing the front row and rear cargo to come on when manually switched on.

Currently, we are riding around with the switch always in the "Off" position. However, it would be really nice if the lights came on automatically when the van is unlocked or when the door is opened, like they used to. Especially at night.

Thanks for any insight you might have as to what part or fuse has failed.
I'm having this exact issue on '06 Odyssey. The light dims when you shut the door, the next step should have been to turn off. It will turn off if I lock the door with the keyFOB. Is there a relay or timer for this function, and where is it?

Did somebody solve the above problem?
Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
When I had this problem, my door indicator showed that one of my sliding doors remained open when it was physically closed. I found the center sliding hinge was stiff. When I l freed it up and lubed it, now my indicator shows the door is closed and my switch is back in the Auto position.
Since you say the lights dim, mine never dimmed. So it might not be related- but if the keyfob locking turns it off, it could be. It is relatively easy to check the hinges (at least on my '99, probably same or similar on your '06) to verify the sliding doors are closing completely.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts