Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a modification that will turn off the interior lights, if left on, after several minutes ? It is a constant source of harassment that when my kids turn on their map lights they get left on when we leave the van. My only option is to keep turning off ALL interior lights before we exit the van. In that case, when we return with groceries, etc. we open the hatch to a dark interior that's hard to see and load. Not very convenient.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I'd love to find something like this as well. One of the great things about my '01 Volvo is that NO lights would remain on after 15 minutes no matter what you did. It is a fantastic feature when you have so many doors kids.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2002 Ody EXL-Nav (TW) ordered, but apparently never coming.
2001 Civic EX

·
Registered
25 Posts
I found out the hard way that once they are on they stay on until 1) you notice 2) the battery is as dead as it can be.

#2 was how I found out after being gone for 4 days to Florida, my little one hit that button that puts the lights on all the time on the dash. Worse yet I couldnt shift the tranny out of park to push it out of the garage. Managed to work it out (barely) ..but I may put some tape over that switch. It is too easily hit by kiddos.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi ya folks,

Sounds like a project for Chuck!

Since they have the lights now on some sort of a timer, could the same logic be installed in series with the master switch on the dash?

Thanks,
Errol

------------------
Keohi Web Design
Keohi HDTV

·
Registered
196 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by errol:
Hi ya folks,

Sounds like a project for Chuck!

Since they have the lights now on some sort of a timer, could the same logic be installed in series with the master switch on the dash?

Thanks,
Errol

</font>
It wouldn't be too difficult to install a timer relay in the circuit. The issue would be finding an input that let you know all the doors were closed. If not, the lights would constantly be timing out. I'm hoping the 2002 electrical manuals are going to be available from Helm before too long.

------------------

See my Pics

Tom
2002 RP EXL-RES

·
Registered
585 Posts
I think the real issue here is when individual map lights get turned on (I know its happened to me on at least 5 occasions so far; with me, my wife & 4 year old each having some culpability in it) so I would be happy if we could set a '15 minute' or whatever timeout for the lights when the switch is in the middle (normal) position.

This oughta be fairly easy since they *do* go out (when the individual lights aren't turned on) after a few secs with the doors closed or when the ignition starts. There should be a way to key into that.

Ok, here are the specs around the exact behavior desired:
- vehicle engine not running, doors closed; switch in middle position; lights go out after specified time period even if lights have been manually turned on
- BONUS; vehicle engine not running, doors closed; switch in top position; lights go out 30 minutes after last door open/close behavior was registered.

Current behavior is as follows:
- vehicle engine not running, dome lights turned on individually stay on forever if switch in middle position
- vehicle engine not running, doors open; lights always on
- vehicle engine running, current interior light behavior is fine (AFAIK)

This is a big issue for those of us with kids (and people who mess around in their vans alot at night) compounded by the fact that its such a rigamorore to move the van with a dead battery.

This is a 'must do' mod if someone can figure this out.

PS here is all behaviors; tell me if I'm missing any:

Dash switch in DOWN position
- interior lights OFF (do not come on either via switch or from individual light switches). (sidenote; my BST is powered via middle domelight and it *does* have power available when switch is in this position)

Dash switch in UP position
- interior lights always ON (remain on regardless of whether you flip individual light switches on or off) My BST does NOT work when dash switch in this position

Dash switch in MIDDLE position
- interior lights on when doors opened or unlocked either from remote or by inserting key in door and then go out after a few seconds regardless of whether the doors are open or not.
- interior domelight switches obey their individual on/off behavior however they are ALL ON during the above case. (Again, my BST does NOT have power in the few seconds they are on)
- interior lights go out after a few secs or key is turned in ignition
- headlights (if left on) come on when 'unlock' is pressed on key remote or driver's side door is opened (15 sec timeout from time the door was closed or immediately upon key turning in ignition)

Does that sound about right?

PS BST = backseattheater; my flipdown LCD

[This message has been edited by nyvram (edited 10-10-2001).]

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm a electronics designer/technician by trade...I've designed various delay circuits in the past. This problem definately interests me also. I'm going to investigate the circuitry from the Helm manual and see what I can come up with. It's definately possible to design this in. Question is, how involved would it be? I'll see what I come up with and let you all know.

·
Super Moderator
13,704 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by txjim:
#2 was how I found out after being gone for 4 days to Florida, my little one hit that button that puts the lights on all the time on the dash. Worse yet I couldnt shift the tranny out of park to push it out of the garage. Managed to work it out (barely) ..but I may put some tape over that switch. It is too easily hit by kiddos.</font>
Don't some batteries come with the Anti-Drain Down feature where if the power of the battery goes down to a certain level it will shut down all other things except the starter?? I think I heard rumblings about that new feature (I think in the Maxima).

·
Registered
564 Posts
The way it works in the Volvo is just fantastic, and completely covers all conditions: NOTHING stays lit for more than 15 minutes regardless of switch or door status. I leave all doors open all the time, and never worry about the battery. If you need the light longer, you simply close and open the door again, etc. VERY nice. If a timer could be started any time an interior light went on, that would be slick!

------------------
-= Darell =-
2002 Ody EXL-Nav (TW) ordered, but apparently never coming.
2001 Civic EX

·
Registered
25 Posts
good idea on the timer. Geez, my 92 Bonneville has "illuminated entry" that I really like. It will on leave radio and wiper but not headlights once the engine is off. It will turn them off when you open the door. Great when you want to hear the end of song. And it shuts off automatically after 10 mins if the engine is still off. Same with the interior lights, (but not if manually left on) and when you get in the car they only shut off only when the engine starts or 10 mins, whatever is first. And
that is on a 10 yr American car. I learned my lesson on this one.

·
Registered
86 Posts
As txjim described the function on his car, it occurred to me this is the same function on the windows our the 02 Ody. You can operate the windows for 10 minutes, as long as you don't open the door.
Could this window function be incorporated into the lights?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've been thinking about this topic since the day I bought my 2000 LX. I believe this problem only effects the LX? I think I read in the owners manual that the EX has a timer.

Nonetheless, here is a relay I found while researching this topic. The question is how to wire in several triggers. However, the Honda electronics already has this set-up. So, we just need to tap the point where all the triggers have been "OR'd" together. I bet this comes right into the main switch on the dash. Definitely need the Helm manual for this job.

I think this time delay relay would work nicely:
http://www.nationalcontrols.com/Timer1-21.htm

·
Registered
564 Posts
Has anybody tried leaving a door open on a 2002 EX yet? Is the interior light still on 1/2 hour later? I don't think there is an overall timer to cut all the power to the lights, like I'm looking for. I'm thrilled to see so much interest in this subject.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2002 Ody EXL-Nav (TW) ordered, and now maybe coming on November 2!
2001 Civic EX

·
Registered
596 Posts
For you electronix nerds, there is an electronic battery protector, called Priority Start. It is an E-Z wire item which shuts everything down when the battery drops to a level which near that which will fail to start the vehicle. They sell them at Beverly Hills Motoring Accessories for about $80.00. They are at www.beverlyhillsmotoring.com

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

1 - 14 of 14 Posts