Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this just a Honda oversight or is there a way to make them automatically go off after 2 hours if the car is turned off?

I often find a single overhead light on in the back if my kid turned it on or if someone bumped it while getting out. Seems to stay on forever (or I guess until it drains the battery).

I did a search but didn't find anything relevant in my results. Maybe wasn't using the right terms.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
The light doesn't turn off. One of my kids turned one on once and it stayed on all night. Really dumb of Honda not to put a delay on the interior lights once the key is removed. The only way to turn it off is the master switch on the dash but that's a pain in the ass. I never use it.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Your reading lights don't turn off, but then again, it would take a while to drain the battery. I say this because a guest left her light on in the second row, and I only discovered it accidentally almost two days later. The battery managed to start the van even though it struggled, but after driving it to the store and back, it bounced back and has not given us any more reason to worry...

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try to remember that. I'd say to Honda engineers, make it a habit to spend the extra $5.00 to add circuitry to turn off all interior lights after a certain period of inactivity. It is 2012 after all - can't be that tough.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Is this just a Honda oversight or is there a way to make them automatically go off after 2 hours if the car is turned off?

I often find a single overhead light on in the back if my kid turned it on or if someone bumped it while getting out. Seems to stay on forever (or I guess until it drains the battery).
Sheeesh, must be universal (kids liking to turn them on manually, then forget to turn them off). Happened to me too many times. Now I make sure all lights are OFF with a visual inspection after I press the Lock button on the keyfob.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
100% agreed, put while they are at it put in auto-on head lights across the whole lineup. Auto-off but no on on a EXL-RES, go figure.

·
Registered
249 Posts
100% agreed, put while they are at it put in auto-on head lights across the whole lineup. Auto-off but no on on a EXL-RES, go figure.
I may be in the minority of not wanting/having (mine is only EX-L) auto-on for headlights, and like it the way it is with simply the DRLs coming on, so to save on main bulbs lifespan. But auto-off would be nice for me, I hate reminder chimes for HLs, seatbelts, etc, etc.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No I'm with you, I don't love Auto-On. Although most (all?) cars with Auto On have that as one stop on the turn switch, so those of us who dont like it dont have to use it. Choice! Yay!

Not sure who would ever want their overhead lights to stay on forever, so to me that is just Honda being lazy or cheap or both.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Not everybody likes auto-on headlights but every other car that I have owned had it and there is always an option on the switch to shut it off. At least the option is there where Honda won't give it to us. Especially on a EXL-RES trim level. But back to the OP's post, auto off interior lights should have not been an oversight. What if the lights were left on at -30C, the battery would probably be dead in the morning.

Honda being cheap is how I see it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have this problem also where my kids are constantly leaving the light on. It will burn your battery if it keeps occurring. I am on my 3rd Battery in 6 years.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
For the Ody, whenever I leave the van I think 1-2-3:
- Remove key.
- Make sure headlight is OFF.
- Make sure interior light switch is OFF.

There is no other way around it.

Time to develop new habit.

·
Registered
105 Posts
cnn is right, there is no way around it. My kid turned on the light in the back on a Sunday afternoon and I only found out Wednesday night getting out of work! Yes, it started.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is a pet peeve. I went from a 1998 Pontiac Transport Montana to a 2007 Odyssey EX-L. Although the Honda is superior in almost every way (as I don't have to tell this forum), I was shocked I took so many steps backwards as far as how it handles the locks and lights. What the Pontiac had should be the standard: If all the doors are open, you can hit the lock button on the remote and you get a chime, telling you that 10 seconds after the last door is shut, the car will lock. You don't have to wait until the family is completely done exiting before locking it up--just make sure the last kid shut their door. And of course, all the interior lights go off automatically no matter how many were left on. I never had a dead battery, but in the first year of having my Odyssey, at least twice we went to start the car in the morning and found a drained battery because the kids left the overheads on. I've had to train myself to hit that master cutoff. I've quit worrying about it. But the first year I racked my brain trying to figure out a way to install an auto off (I'm not that good with electronics, so I gave up pretty quickly).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 2013 and if the switch is in the median position the lights should come on and go off after 30 seconds. HOWEVER the lights stay on. Is it then necessary to put the switch on every time you drive at night and then remember to tirn it to off upon exit?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts