Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Ody EX. I just finished changing the dash instrument cluster lights and the clock light bulbs. I checked those lights prior to putting the dash pieces back on and those lights worked. I just noticed that now my interior lights don't come on when I open the door. I checked the button on the dash and it is on. Could there have been something that I didn't hook back up when I replaced the before mentioned bulbs? Thanks!

·
Registered
961 Posts
Can you turn the interior lights on manually? If you can, then the plunger on the door that tells the lights when the door is open or closed has failed. Plunge it a few times and it may work temporarily.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you turn the interior lights on manually? If you can, then the plunger on the door that tells the lights when the door is open or closed has failed. Plunge it a few times and it may work temporarily.
I can turn them on manually. I hit the plunger and still no luck.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Only the driver door or all of them do not work? If all then my guess is you knocked something loose or blew a fuse seeing it works with it set to on. From what I can see on the schematic, the blk/wht wire for the door goes from that switch to the Passenger Multiplex Control Unit. Fuse #9 (drivers side) powers both Multiplex Units, you might want to check that first but I would think other things would not be working too.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
kennykenny,
When I replaced my radio in my 03 and removed that cover to get to it and then put it all back together, I had the same exact problem. I finally realized that the connector on the dash light switch probably fell off because I didn't get it on properly. I popped that cover off and sure enough, that connector slipped off. ( pretty short wires to it). I got in back on and it worked just fine. Since you were replacing bulbs, you probably removed that cover.
Hopefully that fix will work for you.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
961 Posts
One additional test is to open the passenger door and see if the lights come on. If so, then the driver's door plunger is the culprit. If not, I got nothing - other than listen to the other guys!

Btw, not long after I replaced my clock and odometer bulbs, the hvac bulbs went out.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Only the driver door or all of them do not work? If all then my guess is you knocked something loose or blew a fuse seeing it works with it set to on. From what I can see on the schematic, the blk/wht wire for the door goes from that switch to the Passenger Multiplex Control Unit. Fuse #9 (drivers side) powers both Multiplex Units, you might want to check that first but I would think other things would not be working too.
The lights don't come on when any of the doors open. Is the next step to take the dash panel back off to look behind the interior light switch? I don't remember how many connectors that I unhooked when replacing all of the other dash light bulbs. Could any of those connectors affect the interior lights?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
kennykenny,
When I replaced my radio in my 03 and removed that cover to get to it and then put it all back together, I had the same exact problem. I finally realized that the connector on the dash light switch probably fell off because I didn't get it on properly. I popped that cover off and sure enough, that connector slipped off. ( pretty short wires to it). I got in back on and it worked just fine. Since you were replacing bulbs, you probably removed that cover.
Hopefully that fix will work for you.
Buffalo4
So need to remove the dash area cover that covers the interior light, radio area etc? If I remember, that area of the dash is separate and is the only dash area that needs to be removed to check the wiring that you are referring to?

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Just that cover that is over the radio,etc. It pops off pretty easily.
That light switch is on the left side and the connector plug can get loose, esp if you removed it like I did. Comes off pretty easy and goes on easy. Just watch for the two connectors, on for that light switch and the other for the rear temp control unit, I believe.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just that cover that is over the radio,etc. It pops off pretty easily.
That light switch is on the left side and the connector plug can get loose, esp if you removed it like I did. Comes off pretty easy and goes on easy. Just watch for the two connectors, on for that light switch and the other for the rear temp control unit, I believe.
Buffalo4
Thanks. I will check it out and let you know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
hey kennykenny so I’m have the same issue with my 2003. Wanted to change the clock bulb and the light behind the D on the instrument panel..did that (clock still not lighting up) but now interior lights don’t come on when we open the door. To make matters worse the interior light switch stopped working before but when people mentioned check the relay, I got scared and didn’t touch it. Question is, all fuses look fine and rechecked the wiring...and other suggestions you can give me...
Thanks,
A mom who needs her van to work😢

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
What kenny's final soloution was the plug was loose on the interior light switch. When you take that center panel (the one around the radio) off, you have to remove three connectors. One of them is the interior light switch. His was not connected all the way.
It is really common, especially on vans this old, for the little buttons that turn on the lights on the doors to fail. You should look into that as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What kenny's final soloution was the plug was loose on the interior light switch. When you take that center panel (the one around the radio) off, you have to remove three connectors. One of them is the interior light switch. His was not connected all the way.
It is really common, especially on vans this old, for the little buttons that turn on the lights on the doors to fail. You should look into that as well.
Yeah even took off panel again to make sure all connectors are good and there was no issue. So not sure what to check now

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
You actually have to check fuses for continuity. Take them out and use a tester. The relay thing has to do with how the lights work in an EX. When you open a door it starts a timer that turns the lights off after a given time.

I would try to get a interior lights switch. Junk yards a full of this vintage Odyssey.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok so I only checked the “light” fuses, so you suggest looking at everyone of them? I don’t mind just wanna make sure. I will buy a switch but since after BYU g the clock bulb and no success I kinda feel like I don’t wanna make things worse, eventhough I apparently did since now the lights don’t work.
I just can’t think of anything else it should be especially when there really is only 2 fuses that have to do with the lights. By the way the map dome lights work when pushed but the other lights throughout don’t when we open the doors nor when I tried to manually turn them on...so frustrating and I feel defeated..seemed to have made things worse.

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
Well, things not working after you fiddled with them points to a blown fuse. The new style fuses can look fine and still be blown. You will have to test them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts