Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '99 Odyssey ES. The interior lights go on when making a right turn. Does anyone else have the same problem.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
My guess would be that one of your doors needs it's latch adjusted, probably the left slider. Or it could be a dirty or marginal contact at the sliding door contacts. Clean the contacts with an eraser first. That's the easiest thing to try. Good luck.

------------------
Chuck
Ody Pics and Projects

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 04-05-2001).]

·
Registered
103 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by schaeff:
I have a '99 Odyssey ES. The interior lights go on when making a right turn. Does anyone else have the same problem. </font>
Maybe that's Honda's quick-fix competitive solution to the Nissan Quest's "see-around-corner" headlights.
Sorry, I couldn't resist that setup (for the folks who recall Sam on the Edmunds Forums)...

·
Registered
2 Posts
for the guy who said that his interior lights go on when you make a right turn the only other suggestion that i can give you is that you take it back to the dealer and talk to the person who sold you the car (if there still there)and complain. i mean the car is only two year old this really shouldn't happen

·
Registered
15 Posts
Interior Lights

We have a 2000 Ody LX and I think the Honda is the nicest vehicle in the class.
However I have had some glitches, sliding doors sticking, alarm going off due to faulty door switch, all corrected with no more than two service visits, and @ aprox. 40000 K's INTERIOR LIGHTS!!!
On three occasions we have had the interior lights without provocation, illuminate and remain on regardless of individual or master switch positions or door positions and inspite of lenthy efforts culminating in the fuse removal. (sorry kids, no tunes today!)
The first go-round, the dealer cheerfully accepted the challenge with no appointment and said they needed 20 Min. 2 Hrs later the service manager said to book another visit as it was closing time and the lights could not be fixed. They managed to get the fronts,(different circuit) under control, but removed the bulbs from the others.
The next visit, which was the follow-up, resulted in roughly 16 hrs of effort with consultation with Honda factory engineers? or whomever answers these questions, and ultimatley resulted in the discovery of a wire pinched during production. So I'm told.
The van was returned and Honda payed the bill and I was happy.
Then it happened again. Another dealer visit and it was fixed. I had a tight schedule and the service manager that now knows me had left for the day so there was no explanation. They worked fine for a few weeks and again while driving, the lights illuminated and all the same to fuse removal. I am taking it in in the AM. I was told, during the first instance, while in the midst of the 16 hour trouble shooting effort, of a device called the "body computer", which if all else was O.K. probably was at fault. I understood this to be a pricey part so it would the last resort. It all seemed resonable. Being an airplane guy, you become accustomed to all sorts of signal summing computers that in turn do neat things, until good chips do bad things. I am new on the forum and have tried to read all the related posts. Has anyone had these unexplained "light-ups" ?Is there really a body computer? Were the techs playing pool for 15.5 hrs.?
I still think the Honda is a great van and have already put my dibs on an 03 model.

·
Registered
392 Posts
It had happened to me when the doors are not completely shut. While stationary the door sensors are reading it as closed, but when I drive the vibrrations cause the door to loosen and then the sensors read it as open. So the lights go on and the doors unlock.

Usually the tailgate is the culprit. Like ckonarske mentioned, check the sliding door sensors.

·
Registered
15 Posts
famguy said:
It had happened to me when the doors are not completely shut. While stationary the door sensors are reading it as closed, but when I drive the vibrrations cause the door to loosen and then the sensors read it as open. So the lights go on and the doors unlock.

Usually the tailgate is the culprit. Like ckonarske mentioned, check the sliding door sensors.
Is there a seperate switch for the the door open warning and the interior lights? Mine's not here to look at. I think they will have to have a close look at the door switches again. Thx.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts