Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for you - just bought a 2011 EX-L with Navi. When the interior light is set to "door", the rear side lights stay on. I called the dealer and he said there was a switch to turn the rear lights off. I have not been able to locate that. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance -

·
Administrator
14,553 Posts
Tried the owner's manual? In the prior gens, if your kids turned ON the lights in the back, they did NOT turn off when you shut the doors. You would have to turn OFF the lights that are ON and then they will dim out and go out once all doors are closed.

Did you check if your kids turned on the reading lights which would keep them lights on?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have a question for you - just bought a 2011 EX-L with Navi. When the interior light is set to "door", the rear side lights stay on. I called the dealer and he said there was a switch to turn the rear lights off. I have not been able to locate that. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance -
The "switch" is the light itself. There is a little divot on 1 edge of the light, press that and the light should push inward and click to turn on/off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is stuck in the dim position in the rear. When you press the lights in the back (all of them), they go brighter. The positions above the rear view mirror are on, off, and door. When set to door, they are all on. Guess I will have to bring it in. Thanks for the help...

·
Registered
687 Posts
I don't like how the interior lights push down to turn on. While they have a cleaner look, I prefer a switch instead. I found that I hit my head on the lights a couple of times coming out the sliding doors and they accidentally turned on.

:frown:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Why can't Honda make the interior lights, particularly the 2nd and 3rd rows, be synchronized with the ACC function? This is one of the Ody's function that irks me somewhat. Whenever my kid who sits on the 3rd row started fiddling with the light switch without us noticing it, we'll just realize after a very long while (sometimes after a day or so) that the light has been turned on.

I know there's a master switch on the dash, but that would disable all the lights including the ones in front. What I would like to see is for Honda to re-wire the interior lights so that only the map lights on the front row are the ones that can be turned on/off even if the ignition is in the OFF position.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I don't like how the interior lights push down to turn on. While they have a cleaner look, I prefer a switch instead. I found that I hit my head on the lights a couple of times coming out the sliding doors and they accidentally turned on. :frown:
Totally agree. I've got a big head that likes to hit the lights too.

·
Registered
755 Posts
It is stuck in the dim position in the rear. When you press the lights in the back (all of them), they go brighter. The positions above the rear view mirror are on, off, and door. When set to door, they are all on. Guess I will have to bring it in. Thanks for the help...
Close the doors, and then press the light. If you have the doors open when the switch is on door position, of course the lights wouldn't go off. Again, close the all the doors first, and then try pressing the light.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Why can't Honda make the interior lights, particularly the 2nd and 3rd rows, be synchronized with the ACC function? This is one of the Ody's function that irks me somewhat. Whenever my kid who sits on the 3rd row started fiddling with the light switch without us noticing it, we'll just realize after a very long while (sometimes after a day or so) that the light has been turned on.

I know there's a master switch on the dash, but that would disable all the lights including the ones in front. What I would like to see is for Honda to re-wire the interior lights so that only the map lights on the front row are the ones that can be turned on/off even if the ignition is in the OFF position.
The Master switch is gone on the 2011 as far as I can tell. We always leave the key in, so the kids hitting the reading lights cost us about 20 dead batteries over 5 years. Now with auto-headlights, the checking routine will be that much worse. So now the kids cannot turn the light on without asking...

Fact is, lights going out on kids when you don't want them to is a bigger problem that will keep Torrance's phone ringing, so they err on the side of killing your battery. In my searches I think maybe it was the new Quest that will not allow any lights to drain the battery below a certain level, 10% or something, so you never kill the battery. I think maybe the Goldwing has this too.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Isn't this part of what the (faulty) Battery Management System (BMS) is designed for? If the lights stay on too long the system will automatically shut them all off before they can run the battery low enough to prevent it from starting. It's not perfect, but you're not going to be stranded because a light got left on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts