Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a fit trying to figure this out. The backlighting for every switch in the van has stopped working. The window witches to the steering wheel controls to the HVAC controls. I have checked every fuse in the van that I can find. Does anyone know of anything else to check? The switches still work, just no backlighting.

·
Registered
778 Posts
The bulbs are probably worn out, unless you mean they all went out at once. My 06 is slowly going out too. Its about 95,000 miles old. I'm not all that concerned because I know where everything is, but I understand how its annoying. The bulbs are pretty cheap (both cost and quality) I think.

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
Did you check the dimmer switch?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I just went through this sort of thing in my wife's oddy - almost all of the lit switches were out (there was one bulb still working in the climate control, but that's it) - you can buy the bulbs with the base from Honda, or just pick up replacements from Radio Shack and install them in the bases you already have - the bulbs from Radio Shack are part no. 272-1092. Some of the bulbs them selves are a little larger (e.g. in the climate control) but are actually the same spec - you can use the radioshack bulbs, or you can pick up some #8640 bulbs and use those (a pack of 10 is $7.95 shipped from some sellers on eBay) - I used both of those, and can tell you it doesn't matter which ones you use, the brightness is the same (I thought it would be brighter in the climate control module with the larger bulbs after I replaced them with the small radio shack ones - I got the 8640's and installed them, and it looks the same) - another option is to pick up the neo-wedge bulbs from www.opamp-electronics.com - they are $0.99 plus shipping for a pack of 5 (these are the larger ones - I don't think they fit in the switches)

There are also two bulbs (with black bases) in the climate control unit, they are a different spec (8V, I think) - I don't have the part number for those yet.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honsetly I am not sure if they went out at once or if they have been slowly self destructing over the last little while. Our van has about 90,000 miles on it now. I hadn't actually checked the insides of the switches to see if they were regular bulbs or leds. I thought they were leds actually. If they aren't-then they will be if I can determine that is what the problem is. I am quite well versed in 12 volt electronics. I have installed a Viper 5902 along with a Viper Smart Start DSM200 in the van and have had no issues. I guess I'll start taking the switches apart and see what I can find out. I'll post what I find later.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts