Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 EXL with a dead engine and various other issues.
bought it new and loved it ever since. Green with tan leather. [you don't see many green ones].
I'm considering purchasing a local very low mileage [96k] 03 LX [as in: very affordable and flawless exterior, in green!] but was wondering if I can swap my EXL leather interior to the LX [seriously damaged cloth] without having to swap the entire interior wiring harness?
on many Japanese vehicles they use one main wiring harness for all versions of the same model and leave plugs for sub harnesses and optional devices taped over and hidden. I've noticed many un-used plugs on my EXL, [like for the optional DVD system and other unknown things, fog light switch? in places.]
So it might be possible to remove the cloth interior and put my heated leather power seats, door/interior panels etc in the lx without having to completely gut everything from both as at first look under covers and such on my EXL there is one huge pile of wires just about everywhere they could hide them. I haven't bought the LX yet so I can't snoop at the LX,s wiring for hidden plugs.
i'm on a fixed income with a low budget so replacing the my EXL with another EXL is mostly out of my price range. what I do have is plenty of time and tools but lack intimate knowledge of series 2 wiring aside from the engine compartment and haven't found schematics/wiring diagrams that are accurate for each variant.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I suspect your LX might only have the SRS connector for the side airbag in the seats- that is, if the LX had the airbag! I doubt that the doors will have the wires for the seat heater switches, and there probably are no wires for the driver's power seat adjustment. (I was doing a lot of body part swapping from my dead grey '99 to my gray '02.) I would think they installed a simpler less expensive wiring harness into the LX.
Personally, if you get the LX I would go ahead and swap the seats. Front, middle and rear. I would think the driver seat is already adjusted to your preference!

·
Registered
14,040 Posts
Had (actually still have in the family) both an EX and an LX. The LX definitely has the side airbag.
I might see, once you have the driver's seat out, if there is some way to change the cushions on the driver's seat.
There will not be any wiring for power seats in an LX. The other thing it will not do (that might bite you in the butt) is auto shut off the interior lights. You have to turn them off manually on the dash if leaving the van open for a long period.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FYI and update.
Upon further investigation with the service manager from Apple Tree Honda in NC, the MAIN wiring harness for the passenger compartment on all Odysseys are the same, however there are various sub harnesses [for the seat heaters and courtesy light delay dimmer [a unit that adds on] for example that aren't on the lesser equipt versions, so for all of the EXL optional stuff to function some potentially tricky wire snaking and add/swap issues arise. To me it seems like the most annoying sub harness to add/change would be the door harnesses to get the auto up/dn and seat heater switches changed. Side airbags aside (still investigating)
When I spoke to the guy he also mentioned major problems with such upgrades if you try say putting an 03 EXL interior with frills into an 01 LX as some items and switches are located in different places year to year. this also applies to module locations, [courtesy lamp switch is rt of the radio on 01 and lft of it on the 03]. another mention was to not even attempt adding pwr doors to one that doesn't have them, [not that many were manual for Gen 2] but that there's just too much involved, even if you stripped the whole interior from the receiving van. I agreed with him as I'd already salvaged pwr door parts for my now dead 03 from an 01 a few yrs ago. it took me 2 days to remove what I wanted from just one side without breaking anything.
I have a lot of patience, mech experience and time, but for some things it's just too much work. I understand completely why they charge so much to replace a door motor,, uggh!
I did locate Generic instructions for removing the entire dashboard from the ody saved to PDF if anyone is interested. [it is not year specific however]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's me again. My sincere apologies to anyone I might have mislead.

Well I found a really nice '04 EXL to replace my dead '03. The tech at Apple Tree was; wrong, agreed just to get me to go away, or didn't know what he was talking about. It would seem that there are different main harnesses depending on what "factory options" your oddy has. [unless things were added at the dealer]
Having nearly finished striping the 03 exl and pulling the rear side panels off to replace the rear middle hinge/roller assemblys and adjust the cable tension I discovered that my 04 has a completely different wiring harness because the 04 has the DVD player option while my 03 only had radio/CD player. inside the rear 'glove box' is a place to plug in 3 headphones with individual volume controls [along with aux R'L audio and video input jacks, I guess for kids to hook up a game boy or other DVD player]. the harness this plugs into is the main harness on the drivers side, and it is a completely different harness than the DVD-less harness in my 03.
I haven't yet gotten into the dash board removal on the 03, but I suspect the main harness in the dashboard will also be completely different, I'll add an update of what i find once i salvage the blend door motors, heater core and other spendy stuff I'll be keeping for spare parts.

Again I apologize for foolishly taking the Tech's word for the main harnesses all being the same with sub harness overlays for optional stuff.

I may write up a whole list of tidbits I've learned while stripping the dead Oddy, for those manual deprived guy and possibly a list of good parts that will become available cheap or free for 'local pick up only' which i'll post here before listing them anywhere else.

I figure it'd be nice to let members here have 1st shot even though there might not be many crazy peeps like me putting so much effort into a 16yo car. [when retired one needs a hobby, and figuring how to take things apart without breaking anything for me is gangs of fun. skinned knuckles aside!]

Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts