Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 EXL with an unusual problem. I have been through three alternators including the first which was the same make and model and lasted at least 25k miles (All three were 11391 Duralast remans). This started at the tail end of the first one. It eventually stopped working all together and stranded me. The charge light is coming on briefly while driving. I can idle the car for hours without it coming on or the voltage dropping. I see the voltage go down to 11.5 in the cab especially while breaking or going slow. There is about a .5v difference between the battery terminals and the meter in the cab so I assume the alternator is completely shutting off intermittently...

I don’t know where to go next. The battery is new also.

Is there a way to check the ELD? I cannot seem to get the light to come on while sitting still so I have no way of finding out what’s happening when the light is on or unplugging the 4 pin connector to see if it is really the alternator producing the light...

What about the wiring?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
You need to get a Denso alternator. This is a very common issue that is reported here often. No other aftermarket alternator brand seems to work well with our Odyssey's - especailly the cheap Duralast ones from Auto Zone. There are numerous reports here about issues with the Duralast alternators. You can buy a Denso brand via Auto Zone if you are persistent with them; or you can order one from Rock Auto. Look for a Denso re-manufactured alternator.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the car used with the exact same Duralast that I have been replacing it with. It worked without issue for over 25k miles. I’ve also seen reports of people with Durlast remans that have been working for some time. Anyway they won’t take it back once it’s been installed. If it really is the problem I am stuck for now.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
2 suggestions:
1. start the car, turn on high beams, fan full blast and put as much electrical load on it as possible. Then observe the charge light and measure voltage directly at battery terminals.
2. Just because Autozone wont take back their crap-o-last triple checked pos, does not mean you cant spend your good money on RockAuto and buy a proper denso alternator.
Get the alternator swapped at AZ, then sell as NIB on craigslist or ebay.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I bought the car used with the exact same Duralast that I have been replacing it with. It worked without issue for over 25k miles. I’ve also seen reports of people with Durlast remans that have been working for some time. Anyway they won’t take it back once it’s been installed. If it really is the problem I am stuck for now.
You’re not going to solve your problem unless you install a Denso alternator. It’s as simple as that.

·
Registered
10,946 Posts
I third, fourth and fifth that recommendation. I've seen it myself and gone through several until using Denso. The parts house remans will not put out the required amperage. The last one I got wouldn't put out more than 79 amps before dropping to below battery voltage. They are junk. As Max recommended, go to Rockauto and order a Denso.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts