Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Odyssey 2007 EX. I have intermittent grinding noise coming from engine compartment during light load/acceleration. It sounds very similar to judder problem of torque converter. I have torque converter replaced and ECU flashed many times – up to its most recent version in Honda’s dealership. I replaced steering pump (A03)/reservoir/pulley with the latest versions and flushed old PS fluid. Although whining is gone it still sounds too loud at higher RPMs but grinding/rattling happens only when car moves/accelerates. I checked heat shield for intermediate shaft as it described in TSB (even though my VIN is not in that range). I checked heat shield for catalectic converter too – all seem solid, nothing is loose.
Is anything else I can check? Any loose part? Any bearings?

·
Registered
9,238 Posts
Check the motor mounts. If any are broken, when under high torque the engine can twist itself to where it wasn't meant to go.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Check the AC compressor clutch bearing, easy to do once you slip the belt off a pulley, spin it and listen for noises. Mine was spinning OK but had some slight "grinding" noises and that caused a LOUD groan. but the fact its only at some RPM is odd...you can look at engine while someone revs it up.

·
Registered
9,238 Posts
I guess the only one to check on Ody '07 is that on the front, right?
I believe there are 4 in total. The front mount would be a prime suspect. Its telltale sign is leaking brown fluid. The passenger side mount is also notorious for tearing.

Best to watch the engine as you gently rev it, first in D then in R, with the brake firmly applied. Just a touch of gas is needed, definitely not a pre-launch roar.

Note that broken motor mounts often have other symptoms, such as rough idle and banging.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts