Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else encountered this problem? My Touring Elite is a month old and about 2-3 times a week the fob will not open the sliding doors and when I go to open them manually it is clear they have no power. When I then slide the switch on the dash that controls their power, off and on again, everything works fine. I figure I need to try to take it to the shop while it's malfunctioning but that is hard to time (I also haven't tested whether turning the ignition on and off corrects the problem which means having the dealer see it broken might be hard). So, anyone else encounter this? (and no, I'm not accidentally hitting the switch when I exit the car). Thanks

·
Registered
174 Posts
JUst had this problem on the EX-L we bought a month or so ago. Sliding doors just didn't respond to the fob at all. Cycled the doors locked and reopened - no effect. Tailgate opening was fine, BTW. Used the inside switches on the dash, and they both opened fine, and thereafter have not had a problem with the fob. Will keep an eye on this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have not tried locking/unlocking the doors but i will try that next time and see if that solves it. Thx.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Not sure if this relates to the problem exactly but it does relate to door issues.
Found on main page "Problems and Concerns/Honda Service News"
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SN/A111100.PDF
[FONT=Helvetica,Bold][FONT=Helvetica,Bold][FONT=Helvetica,Bold]
Power Sliding Door Won’t
Open With VSA Indicator On

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica,Bold][FONT=Helvetica,Bold]
Currently Applies To:
[/FONT]​
[/FONT]’05–’12 Odyssey EX, EX-L,
and Touring

[FONT=Helvetica,Bold][FONT=Helvetica,Bold]
EDITOR’S NOTE:​
[/FONT]​
[/FONT]This article replaces the

[FONT=Helvetica,Bold][FONT=Helvetica,Bold]
October 2005​
[/FONT]​
[/FONT]article.

Got a power sliding door that won’t work while the
VSA indicator is on? Before troubleshooting that
power sliding door, you’ve got to first troubleshoot
and fix the VSA problem; the door might not even be
the culprit. Here’s why.
When you turn the ignition switch to ON (II) and
press and release the bottom of the power sliding
door switch with the main switch on, the power
sliding door control unit requests wheel speed info
from the VSA control unit and speed info from the
PCM.
That info gets transmitted through F-CAN between
the VSA control unit, the PCM, and the gauge control
module. The gauge control module then translates
that info to B-CAN and sends it to the power sliding
door control unit. If the vehicle speed info isn’t
available, the control unit blocks the open command​
and keeps the door from opening.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Sawadee, Thanks for the tip. It hasn't happened again, but I am keeping an eye on it, and your post is a good place for my friendly dealer to start to look if it occurs again.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well my loss of power to the sliding doors persists. To reiterate, my fob won't open the doors, the handles have no power (ie opening the doors manually is very difficult) and the dashboard switches don't work. Unlocking/locking the doors doesn't make a difference. This appears to only happen with a cold engine and corrects itself after driving a few miles (so the dealership hasn't seen the problem and apparently won't fix based on just my word). Switching the on/off switch for the sliding doors off and then on again always corrects the problem. Obviously it is not the fob because the doors lack power and the dashboard switches don't work. I think it must be a defective switch. Has anyone else encountered this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
fob won't open doors

RB4- I am having the exact same problem with my 2012 Touring. After the van has sat overnight the sliding doors will have no response to the key fob. As you mention, turning the switch on the dash off and on corrects the problem, but prior to that the doors won't open at all. Ever found a solution? I've taken it to Honda twice and they can't find anything.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had my 2012 Touring Elite since June and just started having the same problem. Cannot open the sliding doors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update from 10/3/12 post. Honda Service now says that the problem is a faulty switch (the on/off switch on the dash above the switches that open and close the siliding doors). We'll see the part is not in yet. I'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update from 10/3/12 post. Honda Service now says that the problem is a faulty switch (the on/off switch on the dash above the switches that open and close the siliding doors). We'll see the part is not in yet. I'll keep you updated.
Did the switch fix the problem? I am having the same problem with my 2012 EX-L. Seems to only happen when it is cold outside.

·
Registered
53 Posts
After a long time of working as it should, the doors are failing to open/ close again. Cycling the switch resolves the condition. I am wondering if paying for a new switch and then requesting warranty reimbursement would work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So THANKFUL for this forum! For the first person that posted this thread - you saved the day!

We purchased a used 2014 Odyssey Touring Elite a few months ago. Shortly thereafter, the hatch started working intermittently (would try to close but one arm would seem stuck and it would beep and go back up). You could pull it manually. Then the sliding doors did exactly what was described here (would not open with the fob or with the buttons on the dash). Switching to manual did nothing. Locking/unlocking did nothing. Starting the car did nothing. Pulling the door manually was extremely hard for me which would just cause the "door ajar" light to come on because it wouldn't completely latch. All the kids would have to climb over the front passenger seat to enter. What a royal pain (especially during the cold months). It would engage by the time we got to our destination. I took it to our local Honda dealer twice but they couldn't get it to duplicate either issue..... grrrr. Very frustrating. They told me to bring it in the next time it happened - well it starts working after you drive about 5 miles.

Here is what I did: The next time my hatch wouldn't work, I video taped what it was doing. I could never get a video of the doors since it does NOTHING. So, back to the dealer. Dealer again said sorry - we can't get it to duplicate anything and seems to work fine. I asked for a manger and the manager told me the same thing. I pleaded with the manager to let it sit a few days which often happened at home. They did agree to replace the motor on the hatch, thanks to the VIDEO.

Well, I began to search the internet for this issue and came across this site. I forwarded it to the service manager. They had already agreed to let the vehicle sit for a few days but this forum was proof that there is an ongoing issue. Car has now been at the dealer for 5 days (for 2 days it was not turned on) and on the last day, NO WORKING DOORS. Praise God because I was ready to give up and regretted getting this van (my second Odyssey). They have ordered a new "switch" just like the original poster indicated was done to theirs. For anyone else with this issue - refer them to this forum and have them contact the manager in Greenville, SC or PM me for more info. Honda needs to acknowledge this is an issue and can't rely SOLELY on service having to duplicate it. It is clearly a faulty switch that needs to be recalled or at the very least acknowledged. It does not show up on their "computer" as a faulty anything.

·
Registered
48 Posts
So THANKFUL for this forum! For the first person that posted this thread - you saved the day!

We purchased a used 2014 Odyssey Touring Elite a few months ago. Shortly thereafter, the hatch started working intermittently (would try to close but one arm would seem stuck and it would beep and go back up). You could pull it manually. Then the sliding doors did exactly what was described here (would not open with the fob or with the buttons on the dash). Switching to manual did nothing. Locking/unlocking did nothing. Starting the car did nothing. Pulling the door manually was extremely hard for me which would just cause the "door ajar" light to come on because it wouldn't completely latch. All the kids would have to climb over the front passenger seat to enter. What a royal pain (especially during the cold months). It would engage by the time we got to our destination. I took it to our local Honda dealer twice but they couldn't get it to duplicate either issue..... grrrr. Very frustrating. They told me to bring it in the next time it happened - well it starts working after you drive about 5 miles.

Here is what I did: The next time my hatch wouldn't work, I video taped what it was doing. I could never get a video of the doors since it does NOTHING. So, back to the dealer. Dealer again said sorry - we can't get it to duplicate anything and seems to work fine. I asked for a manger and the manager told me the same thing. I pleaded with the manager to let it sit a few days which often happened at home. They did agree to replace the motor on the hatch, thanks to the VIDEO.

Well, I began to search the internet for this issue and came across this site. I forwarded it to the service manager. They had already agreed to let the vehicle sit for a few days but this forum was proof that there is an ongoing issue. Car has now been at the dealer for 5 days (for 2 days it was not turned on) and on the last day, NO WORKING DOORS. Praise God because I was ready to give up and regretted getting this van (my second Odyssey). They have ordered a new "switch" just like the original poster indicated was done to theirs. For anyone else with this issue - refer them to this forum and have them contact the manager in Greenville, SC or PM me for more info. Honda needs to acknowledge this is an issue and can't rely SOLELY on service having to duplicate it. It is clearly a faulty switch that needs to be recalled or at the very least acknowledged. It does not show up on their "computer" as a faulty anything.
I also have a thread on here where I had this same vexing problem where the sliding doors would not operate intermittently. The problem would show up in the morning after the van was sitting all night in the cold. Nothing would open the auto sliding doors. After taking the van to the dealer multiple times for this problem, I was pretty miffed when each time they said they could not duplicate the problem and therefore could not replace the switch under warranty (even when I pointed to it as a probable cause.) I also had video of the problem, but they said it did not matter to them if they couldn't duplicate the problem themselves. It was an incredible waste of time and effort, and my wife was without the van each time.

I ended up buying the switch myself and saving myself a ton of grief. It was less than $30, installed in < 10 mins., but well worth not having to fight with the dealer and taking the van back and forth for service/diagnosis. Never a problem with the sliding door system since.

I ended up disassembling the old switch to see why it failed. It is actually made very cheaply inside, and I can see why the On/Off switch failed. I would advise anyone not to use the sliding door On/Off switch any more than necessary, as this may lead to premature switch failure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well my loss of power to the sliding doors persists. To reiterate, my fob won't open the doors, the handles have no power (ie opening the doors manually is very difficult) and the dashboard switches don't work. Unlocking/locking the doors doesn't make a difference. This appears to only happen with a cold engine and corrects itself after driving a few miles (so the dealership hasn't seen the problem and apparently won't fix based on just my word). Switching the on/off switch for the sliding doors off and then on again always corrects the problem. Obviously it is not the fob because the doors lack power and the dashboard switches don't work. I think it must be a defective switch. Has anyone else encountered this?
Exactly my problem. Have you solved ?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts