Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 EX with 180K miles has developed a peculiar intermittent miss when the engine is cold. Once the engine has warmed up some – it doesn’t have to be at the operating temperature - the intermittent miss goes away. I’m thinking the miss is ignition related. Looking for suggestions as what additionally to check.

Most pronounced is the engine miss under light acceleration or light loading with a cold engine. I can feel the engine miss and when it misses, I can hear a ticking noise / interference noise through the radio (OEM radio). The ticking noise occurs only when the engine misses, and speeds up / slows down consistent with the engine speed. Turning off the radio eliminates the ticking noise. Also, under light acceleration, the miss is intermittent – I can feel the engine miss for part of a second to a second or two (and also hear the ticking interference noise from the radio) and then the miss goes away for a fraction of a second to a second or two (and the radio ticking interference noise also goes away). When the engine is missing, it feels like more than one cylinder is missing, but not all of them. Once the engine has warmed up a bit – by driving a couple miles – the miss does not occur. Restarting the car with a warm engine does not cause the miss to occur.

I’ve pulled the OBDII codes several times, and then cleared them. The OBDII codes I get vary but are the cylinder misfire codes P0301 through P0306 along with P1399. No codes are stored when the Ody is operated with the engine warmed up a bit.

If I blip the throttle when the engine is cold, the engine takes a second or so to land at idle, which is reasonably smooth. Engine runs like a charm when warmed up a bit, or at operating temperature. I've not noticed a drop in fuel economy.

I’ve replaced all the ignition coils, with no change. I’ve replaced the idle air control valve. Did the EGR passage cleaning (making sure the upper plenum gasket is installed correctly with the tab on the driver’s side rear) and have replaced the EGR valve. I’ve made sure the power steering pressure sensor wire is not broken (checked for continuity in the wires to the electrical connector to the PSP sensor; used TSB 04-007 for reference).

I replaced the spark plugs with OEM when I changed the timing belt 70k miles ago. But, I haven’t pulled the plugs to see if one or more are fouled. Will do that tonight. Based on how the original plugs looked at 110k miles, and that the Ody is not using any oil, I’d be surprised to see the plugs fouled.

Any suggestions? What could cause the Ody engine to intermittently miss when the engine is cold such that I’d hear interference through the radio?

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I know you said you replaced the coils but it sounds like one of them is shorting to metal somewhere when cold or damp. Could be a bad plug or still a bad coil. When it's happening, unplug one coil at a time and see if one of them does NOT affect idle, that would be the one. Change the plug on it first but if no help then assuming you still have the original coils, try one of them. There's a few posts on here of folks doing this to find the culprit.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OdyinNH
Thanks for suggestions.

I took all the spark plugs out last night - they have 70k miles on them - just to see how they looked. All looked good with consistent and even coloring on the electrodes. Re-installed the plugs with a slight bit of anti-seize on the threads. Engine still exhibited the intermittent miss.

As suggested by OdyinNH - and I've done this before - I unplugged one sparkplug coil at a time to see if any did not affect how the engine was running. Unfortunately, all coils, when unplugged individually, had a negative effect.

Still scratching my head . . .

·
Registered
1 Posts
intermittent misfire w/cold engine

firemann1,
just registered after browsing this forum for weeks. I have a 2002 Odyssey, V6, 160k miles. Your symptoms match mine exactly. I'm lost in the troubleshooting web. Have you yet uncovered your problem?

·
Registered
10 Posts
OdyinNH
Thanks for suggestions.

I took all the spark plugs out last night - they have 70k miles on them - just to see how they looked. All looked good with consistent and even coloring on the electrodes. Re-installed the plugs with a slight bit of anti-seize on the threads. Engine still exhibited the intermittent miss.

As suggested by OdyinNH - and I've done this before - I unplugged one sparkplug coil at a time to see if any did not affect how the engine was running. Unfortunately, all coils, when unplugged individually, had a negative effect.

Still scratching my head . . .
Not sure about the electrical noise, but it could be that there is a bad ground somewhere.

As for the plugs with 70k miles on them, I would suspect that they should be replaced. Even Iridium plugs start dying at 70k miles and will cause a rough idle/missing.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Problem solved . . . .

I replaced the spark plugs and also checked for any loose connections under the hood focusing on the grounding connections. Found no loose connections. Also replaced the relatively new non-oem spark plug coil pack on the #2 cylinder, which was installed right at 10k miles ago.

The culprit was the non-OEM replacement ignition coil pack with 10K miles on it that was installed on cylinder #2 (the other 5 coil packs all have 181 K miles).

Did several test drives letting the vehicle sit for 5+ hours or overnight to make sure the engine was cold. Engine now runs as it should.

I assumed that one coil pack was good when I swapped out the other 5 coil packs to have all 6 coils to be the non-oem coil packs (which didn't change the intermittent miss). Shame on me for assuming that one “new” coil pack could not have been the problem. At least I know the other 5 new coil packs tested as good.

Appreciate all the feedback and suggestions.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Some items are not worth using aftermarket parts. You found one, o2's and plug wires (obviously not on the Ody) also top my list. Glad you figured it out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts