Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2008 Ody LX with 195K miles on the clock. Its throwing an intermittent oil pressure light on the dash. Sometimes the light flashes, other times it is solid and sometimes it doesn't come on at all. There does not appear to be any pattern to how it behaves.

I am wondering if the pressure switch down by the oil filter has gone bad but I am just guessing. I did recently replace the valve cover gaskets as they were leaking badly.

Has anyone experience this issues or have suggestions?

Thank you!

·
Registered
10,773 Posts
if the pressure switch down by the oil filter has gone bad
That's probably the problem.

Just in case it's more serious, you should promptly either roll the dice on a new switch or get an oil pressure test.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
5,929 Posts
I hate to be asking the obvious, but you did verify the oil level is correct, right?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much for your help!

Yes the oil level is good and remains steady. I thought of a wiring issue but not sure how to check that other then maybe spraying the connector with some contact cleaner. Is there a better way? Maybe just look for grime or damage?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Unplugging, cleaning and re-plugging the sensor is a simple start.

However a wiring check really involves unplugging the sensor and using a multimeter to check terminals inside the plug for voltage where voltage should be, and continuity where continuity should be. The factory service manual will have an entire procedure outlined for how to check wiring for each sensor.

Intermittent problems can be quiet difficult to track because they can be temperature or position dependent. Testing on both a hot and cold engine to find the problem may be necessary. Jiggling the connector while testing. Damaged wiring can be anywhere the circuit runs to cause a problem. Many times caused by road debris or rodents.

Obviously it's easy to just replace the sensor and see if anything changes. It's a relatively easy thing to do and only cost money.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, so I did the cable jiggle and sprayed it with contact cleaner. No dice, still an intermittent light on the dash.
I think my question now is which sensor is the oil sending unit? Here is a pic:

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Electrical wiring Auto part

Is it the green sensor or the black sensor behind it? Also seeing maybe a small oil leak from this oil filter housing too.
Thank you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts