Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Honda Odyssey EX

At 9600 km.

For the last few hundred km, I have been hearing an intermittent rattling noise coming from sliding driver side door area.
It comes and goes, but is annoying. I've brought it to the dealer twice, of course, it stops when we do a road test... I took a video and showed them, but they need to hear it in person...
Irritating...
I don't see any TSBs on this, any one else experience this, or have had it fixed?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have experienced an intermittent rattle in the back of the van caused by the seat belt buckle in either the second or third row getting hung up high and rattling against the plastic side panels. You might check for this.

·
Registered
96 Posts
For the longest time (literally months) I had what I thought was a persistent rattle in BOTH sliding doors on my 2011 EX. I had even taken it to the dealer a few times. After some further frustration having listened and looked and diagnosed and fretted about it I bought some silicone grease and lubed the entire main weatherstrip seal on both entryways. No change. I ended up driving another few weeks until I decided that I would silicone grease the upper weatherstrip (single 4 foot strip above the upper roller track ). I had also unfortunately purchased some of the shin-itsu grease from Honda for some ridiculous price when I did the original weatherstrip lube and I had some left over. Lubing that one particular piece of weatherstripping was the ticket. It wasn't the type of grease as I think any silicone based grease would do the trick. So to make a long story short, before you decide it is a rattle, it might be a friction noise between the slider door edge and the "dry" weatherstrip. I should say that I am extremely pleased with the vehicle almost 1 year into ownership. No issues AT ALL with the capital AT not meant to be referring to the Automatic Transmission. I actually went with the 5-spd because the 6-spd is NEW....lo and behold there are some weird issues with the 6-spd......intow-esting.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I also had the rattle and I fixed it with the Honda grease.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I thought I had the passenger side door rattling, however, what it turned out to be was the far rear plastic interior panel behind the 3rd row seat had somehow popped out. Even more amazing was that I found it, and pushed it back in.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Make sure 2nd row seat isn't the issue. Worth shifting it forward and back. Also make sure the damn seatbelt isn't banging off the side if it's not properly stored. And if all else fails, usually lubricating the door latch and seals solves it for about 5000 miles. Get the dealer to do it each time it's serviced.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: I had taken it to the dealer, they could not find anything.... and could not hear the noise - of course.
It's back again - it seems to happen at certain temperatues - after the temp rises from near freezing, then up to 6-9 degrees Celsius - or 42F to 48F outsdide.
I have not tried the suggestions to grese the weather tim yet.
It's really annoying when the radio is off, and all you hear is this nagging noise behind you (its on the driver side rear sliding door).....
Now at 28,000 km.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Might want to check the seat latch area; there are some plastic spacers held with a large Philips head screw. My 2008 had one missing and it squeaked to beat the band unless someone was in the seat with the missing spacer. The part was pricey but it solved the problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have that issue too on my 2012 TE when it's below 30F or during heavy rain or wind..... The noise comes from the area around front locking pins or at the level of a fully open window and gives hard rattling sounds somewhat different than dry weather strips do. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Grease the two "holes" on the "B" post where the two pins sticking out of the sliding door go into when shut. Worked for me.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Not sure if it is related. But our 2012 with ~17,000 miles also started having ticking noise in the driver's side sliding door when it is raining.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts