Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2002 EXL Navi got a replacement tranny 6 months ago, new timing belt a few weeks ago. Since then we have an intermittent SRS light. Honda dealer found no ODB2 codes (did no other check) yesterday but did not see SRS light on. Today SRS light on again. I hooked up a reader - got P1676. No symptoms at all at this time. Any ideas?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I had the same problem SRS light on mine. It was 2 problems. 1st it was a bad battery. Honda did not diagnose this, I just happened upon the fix when my battery finally died. Eventually (like years later) it stayed on all the time and it was the driver's seat belt buckle switch which was replaced under the lifetime seat belt warranty.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
intermittent SRS light

We did change the battery a few months ago, but I can easily imagine problems with the belt buckle - they really take a lot of abuse, and IMHO this isn't the best made seat belt assembly I've encountered.

I'm still wondering if the dealership left something loose when they did the timing belt / water-pump replacement, since the SRS light only started coming on after that work. And I'm also still wondering about the P1676 code that I found.

Thanks,

Ron

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
On a 2002 - 2004 transmission replacement they are supposed to replace the PCM too.

P1676 - FPTDR Signal Line Failure - Check for poor connections and/or loose terminals in the ABS/TCS control unit and PCM lines. Check ABS/TCS control unit and PCM. This is a Fuel and Emissions code.

FPTDR stands for Frame to Powertrain Torque Down Request related to the TCS system.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ody problems

Could the P1676 code cause have been a result of the work the dealership did when they changed the timing belt? Might they have knocked something partially loose?

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
This code has come up several times with a weak battery. If you are making a lot of short runs the battery may become weak. Even though you changed it recentlydoesn't mean it is good, especially if you replaced it with the same CCA or less. Have the battery load tested, the charging system checked and also monitor the voltage level. Clean the battery connections and make sure they are tight. If nothing found the SRS codes need to be read. These are not read by an OBDII tester. Search the site or get an OEM service manual for instructions on how to pull the codes.

·
Registered
310 Posts
New Dad New Van said:
P1676 - FPTDR Signal Line Failure - Check for poor connections and/or loose terminals in the ABS/TCS control unit and PCM lines. Check ABS/TCS control unit and PCM. This is a Fuel and Emissions code.

FPTDR stands for Frame to Powertrain Torque Down Request related to the TCS system.
Can a bad connection cause a slipping transmission? Mine now slips when cold and I got the P1676 code.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SRS light now on all the time

My SRS light went from intermittent to being solidly on. No other idiot lights are on at this time. Maybe now the dealer can / will actually diagnose the problem instead of pretend to.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
SRS light means nothing without the underlying code. OBDII scanners do not read the SRS codes. They have to be flashed out or read by the dealers scanner which has code built in to read it. For the P1676 you need to look at the battery voltage.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SRS light update, etc.

With our SRS light now on full time, we took our 2002 Ody back to the dealer today. 90 minutes later we were told that the problem was the front passenger seat sensor (that cuts off airbag response if it thinks no one is in the seat), that this is covered under the safety warranty so there would be no diagnostic charge and the part would be ordered for free installation at a future date.

While there, we had a talk with the service manager. Each time we've had repairs it has typically taken a few visits to get everything right. In April 2009 we had the tailgate 'struts' finally replaced when they wouldn't hold the door up at all - prior to that we were told that only complete failure merrited replacement. The struts put in last year are already worn out; when we come back for the sensor he'll replace the struts. We also talked to him about what's going on with all the tranny failures, and how so many people are swearing off ever buying from Honda again.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Maybe I should have asked if the slipping could be related to the P1676 code or is it unrelated. ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts