Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a used 04 Odyssey that my wife drives on the Highway every day. At Highway Speeds 65-80 mph the steering wheel vibrates for about 10 secs, then smooths out , and repeats this process for the entire trip. Vibrate , smooth, vibrate, smooth,etc...... The timing of interval is very consistent. It has been to two shops Aligned twice, rotated, and road force balanced. The problem still persisted after each attempt to fix it. It has Sumitomo tires on it, and from the research that I have done, dont seem to have much negative feedback. It has stumped the two shops I have taken it to, and I dont have the money to start experimentally replacing parts to see what will work. Has anybody else experienced this specific problem, and what was your solution??????? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Also...... Does everybody elses wife complain to them like you are the one who engineered or designed a vehicle as if the problem they are experiencing is somehow your fault???????:smile:

·
Super Moderator
1,250 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Also...... Does everybody elses wife complain to them like you are the one who engineered or designed a vehicle as if the problem they are experiencing is somehow your fault???????:smile:
LOL,,,,Yep,,,you picked out the car, right? She really wanted a new one, right? So everything that happens to this car will be your fault.
I know, that logic doesn't make sense to me either.:rollingeyes:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had the same intermittent vibration on mu 2010 EXL. It was driving me crazy until I saws this on the ody club. I balanced and rotated my tires and matched the light spot of the tire wheel assembly to the heavy spot on the rotors. It made a world of difference. Have not had it on a trip yet but the 2 times on lthe hiway at 70 it felt very smooth and no vibration. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just wanted to say thank you for posting that. I just purchased an 06 touring with the steering wheel shimmy. I am taking it back to the dealer today so they can fix it and it will be of no charge but I have little faith in dealerships and their customer service when things are coming out of their pocket, not to mention I read another thread where people replaced everything from the engine mounts to the axles and a few other things with no results based on dealer recommendations. I just like being in the know when it comes to things like this and can hopefully solve my issue in a timely manner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently purchased a used 04 Odyssey that my wife drives on the Highway every day. At Highway Speeds 65-80 mph the steering wheel vibrates for about 10 secs, then smooths out , and repeats this process for the entire trip. Vibrate , smooth, vibrate, smooth,etc...... The timing of interval is very consistent. It has been to two shops Aligned twice, rotated, and road force balanced. The problem still persisted after each attempt to fix it. It has Sumitomo tires on it, and from the research that I have done, dont seem to have much negative feedback. It has stumped the two shops I have taken it to, and I dont have the money to start experimentally replacing parts to see what will work. Has anybody else experienced this specific problem, and what was your solution??????? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I have the same exact issue with my 2000 Odyssey and am still trying to problem solve it. What ended up being the issue ( I assume it's been long resolved by now). Thanks.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Talk about the thread that will not die :)

I was not aware that the 2nd generation vans had the same issue. There is a very long running thread from about a year ago or so on here regarding this topic. For my wife's this started after getting 4 new tires on our 2007 EXL. We spend lots of money per paying the dealer diagnostic fees and replacing axles, motor mounts, struts etc. Nothing changed the behavior. Another odyclub member suggested a road force balance. I paid Honda $$$$ to do this and resolves the shimmy at 60-65mph. It was great until we got something in the sidewall of one of the tires. Had the tire replaced and now it is back.

As part of the road force balance they do match the heavy side of the rotor to the light part of the tire/wheel amongst other things. Honda must have some really horrible engineering in the geometry of the wheels and other components. Some owners never experience this but for others it is near impossible to resolve. I as well as others even had calls into the American Honda on this and all they could tell us was try a different dealer to see if they can resolve it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Changed tie rod ends, tires, had tires balanced and roadforced many times, changed brake disks for ATE ones, etc. Still shaking while coasting on good pavement (hard to find here). It seems that rough pavement somewhat prevents the shaking to tune....!?

I'm trying new wheels this week...

Seems that last ten Odys still shake. Gonna buy a Sienna next time!

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Is this happening at a steady speed only? You might try a different shop and see if they can balance out the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Holy moly this forum is amazeballs! I have already disabled my pain-in-the-butt VCM with a tuner (thank God) but I recently noticed vibration at speeds between 45 and 70. I feel a steering wheel vibration (like a "shimmy") at very regular intervals. From everything I've read here it is likely my tire phasing is the issue. Now... how to get it fixed. Thanks y'all!

·
Registered
1,539 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well golly gee! :DYou need to check the sticky Honda Service News: Excessive Steering Wheel Shimmy or... at the top of this section. Tire phase is one of the issues addressed there in the first link.
Yes I know that. That document is where I learned what the likely issue is... I'm just concerned about getting the actual repair made because I don't assume a mechanic or even a dealership would know that. I may need to print out the service bulletin and take it with me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts