Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Honda Ody, like it says above, for the past month, I can be driving along at various speeds/conditions/etc and the van will just die (no sputtering or warning), it still has all power to everything, just stops running. When I stop and turn the key off an back on all the dash indicator lights are on (it saying all the doors are open, green key thingy flashing, everything). After this happens it might not start for 1 minute or 2 hours (no rhyme or reason); when I do attempt to start it, the starters cranking just like normal but there is absolutely no indication that its getting any spark (or maybe gas, but I would assume it would at least have enough fumes to hear a partial firing).

Any help in diagnosing would be great. I had taken it in to the shop about this issue but of course it wasn't doing it for them and they said everything checks out.

Only thing semi related to this that I can think may contribute is the key was stuck in the van for a year (I just left it in all the time :)). I finally took it to a reliable/good shop and they fixed that (that was 6 o 8 months ago, I just started having the non-starting/dying issue within the past couple weeks.

·
Registered
8,274 Posts
Sounds like a classic main relay failure.

You can either remove it and re-flow the solder joints or get a new one.

Dave

·
Registered
13,601 Posts
I second this. Mine did the same thing. I sat on the side of the road for a while, read threads on the Odyclub. texted my son in law to ask him to bring me a new one and his soldering set up. After a while it started right up. Drove home staying off the freeway and, once home, pulled the relay. Connections inside were definitely burnt. Soldered the contacts and it has been fine ever since. Kept the new relay in a box onboard just in case.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts