Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to Honda. Does Odyssey handsfree sync (to iPhone4) also sync (street) address in additon to phone number/contacts so they can be used by navigation? BMW iDrive has this feature.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I am not sure on the address part, but with my droid 2, i can

go to the bluetooth section and use my phonebook on the nav

screen with the nav control knob.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have an iPhone 4 ad a 2011 Odyssey.

Phone numbers are automatically available for the paired iPhone. Addresses aren't, and there doesn't seem to be a way to import them.

·
Registered
170 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Just for kicks I ran through the wizard you linked to. It didn't have addresses, but it did manage to state that A2DP Bluetooth audio streaming wasn't supported for the iPhone (my experience is that it's three seconds delayed which makes it unusable for video).

It's a little infuriating that Honda let this slip. The iPhone is the single hottest selling smartphone in the world, and certainly the handset used most for media. Big fail not making sure it's properly supported!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
slightly different problem for me, the manual says that the phonebook syncs everytime the device is re-connected, however i have a few entries that are not sync-ed. Also, i tried to delete the sync and re-create it and the new entries still didn't go to the phonebook in the car...

anybody know why?

thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just picked up my Odyssey 2011 yesterday and the first thing I did was pull out my iPhone 4 to see what all worked. All phone numbers showed up through bluetooth connection. I did not look for addresses.

The best feature is the bluetooth audio. It was awesome to be able to hear the music in my iPhone through the car stereo w/o any wires. So, the bluetooth audio for iPhone 4 does work!! What was also cool is that when I got back in the car and started it up, the stereo kicked back on and started exactly where I had left off when I got out of the car. I wonder if I can get internet radio to work through the bluetooth so I never have to plug it in through the USB cable.

·
Registered
157 Posts
yabba said:

So, the bluetooth audio for iPhone 4 does work!!
Is there a three second delay (give or take) when you try to fast-forward a song? When watching video, is the sound in sync?

BTW - Pandora should work as fine as other audio over Bluetooth.

·
Registered
170 Posts
i've found using the stereo controls (or steering wheel for the matter) it takes about 3 seconds for it to register that I've changed the song.

this is using an iphone 3gs on ios4

otherwise, no lag in audio or video sound playback. just delayed reaction to car input.

·
Registered
157 Posts
cderalow said:
otherwise, no lag in audio or video sound playback. just delayed reaction to car input.
I suspect the "delayed reaction to car input" is actually lag if you check.

Look at your iPhone and it will think it's played 3 seconds of the song before it hits the Odyssey speakers. If you fast forward on the iPhone itself (by pressing the button or dragging the progress bar), you'll notice a similar delay.

Really, it's more of an annoyance for music. Where it REALLY sucks is if you're trying to watch video (YouTube, digital copy of a movie or otherwise). It's completely unwatchable!

That isn't how Bluetooth audio should be: it's the first system I've used that has encountered such a bug.

I hope Honda fixes it. The cost of the electronics upgrades for the higher trim level are too expensive to afford a half-a**ed implementation.

EDIT: I tried it one more time after a phone reboot to confirm, and it's more accurately a 1.5 second delay, but it's still enough to totally screw up video watching over Bluetooth audio.

I'd be very curious to meet a person who can get lips to match with voices on any video on the iPhone w/the Odyssey's system, mostly because if a fix is made for the stereo, I definitely want the upgrade!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
The best feature is the bluetooth audio. QUOTE]

What Odyssey do you have? According to the Honda bluetooth website the iphone is not compatible for bluetooth audio for our 2011 RES. Did you change anything?
It's not well integrated, you can't choose your music as you could through the USB. However, if your phone is paired, (these are steps with our iphone) got to your 'ipod app' and play a song song, on the bottom right you'll have some option (by the pause, skip and volume control) to send audio through bluetooth. If you go cycle through the 'aux' in your van eventually you'll hear what's playing on your ipod (the van's display will display the text 'Bluetooth').

I find this option quite useless honestly, so I just bought and iPod classic to hookup via the usb in the glovebox.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have an iphone 3GS and have no problem with syncing contacts. Bluetooth audio works great and yes you can play internet radio (Pandora) off the iphone though bluetooth audio.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have an iphone 3GS and have no problem with syncing contacts. Bluetooth audio works great and yes you can play internet radio (Pandora) off the iphone though bluetooth audio.
I assume you have the lag problem, though? My iPhone 4 works, but the lag makes video unwatchable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have an iPhone 4. For longer trips, I'll connect to the USB Aux. However, for the shorter rides, I use the Bluetooth feature. As mentioned by others, there is about a 3 sec. delay but once you get used to that, I'm fine. I have not tried the video part and don't care to at this time. It's more that I want to hear something that's on my phone and dont' want to deal with plugging it to the USB port. Absolutely no issues for me.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I have an iPhone 4. For longer trips, I'll connect to the USB Aux. However, for the shorter rides, I use the Bluetooth feature. As mentioned by others, there is about a 3 sec. delay but once you get used to that, I'm fine. I have not tried the video part and don't care to at this time. It's more that I want to hear something that's on my phone and dont' want to deal with plugging it to the USB port. Absolutely no issues for me.
I really wish it was better integrated though, so you can just get in the van, leave the phone in the purse, pocket, belt clip, wherever you keep it, and just have it play.

Anyways, to me it was more convenient just to buy another ipod for the van and just keep it in the glove box.

I need to try the bluetooth video though, does that play on the front navi screen or just on the RES or both?

thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It would have been cool to see the playlist on the screen through Bluetooth. But, I'll take this for now.

do like the feature of the Bluetooth kicking on as soon as I turn the car on. So, if I was listening to a song and when I left the car (turned it off), it will come back on when I turn the car on again later at the spot where the song had stopped earlier. I guess that's keeping the phone in the pocket and still being able to use the Bluetooth feature. If you have tons of music and are trying to get to a specific song.. then you're out of luck. No other option than to open up the phone and find that song.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Okay so, If you have an Iphone 4 (yet to be purchased) with VZ nav opened
will it sync to the screen on the dash of a 2011 EX-L with RES?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts