Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Odyssey with 85K miles. We feel bumps (not regularly spaced vibrations) through the front seats, especially noticeable on smooth pavement (e.g. new asphalt). The sensation can be felt at apparently all speeds, including 45 and 75. Before experiencing this sensation, In February we purchased Toyo CUV tires. We drove with them for 1,200 miles with no problems. The bumping started and I took the vehicle to our local Honda dealer. They confirmed the sensation, checked the suspension and bearings with no evident problems, rebalanced the tires, with no improvement. They suggested I drive for a month to see if the Toyo tires would wear in, eliminating the sensation.

I immediately went back to Town Fair Tire. They rotated the tires to see if the sensation would disappear. It did not. They then generously offered to exchange the tires for Michelin Defenders. The sensation improved substantially but has not disappeared. We have since driven 2,000 miles with the same sensation.

I have muzzled the eco mode as we did experience that form of vibration earlier this year (before the current sensation). One other possibly relevant fact: the left and right rear camber is -1.4 and -1.3 degrees respectively. They were in spec originally.

I’d appreciate any ideas before I go back to the Honda dealer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is an update to the above. Lacking any additional input, I went ahead and had Honda replace the rear shocks and front struts. The sensation is still there. Perhaps calling it a subtle shudder that appears and disappears may jog an idea from you. There is no sound associated with it. I’d appreciate theories to test. I plan on driving this car 200,000 miles so I’d like to fix the problem...

·
Registered
328 Posts
Could it simply be your motor mounts are especially worn out?

·
Registered
2012 EX-L, >125k miles, VCM Tuner, Honda tow pkg.
809 Posts
In addition to Jrprock79's suggestion, has the ATF been changed recently? If not you could be experiencing a shudder in the trans (hard to tell without being in the van, so this is just a thought).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does it change with or without throttle input? What if you slide the shifter into neutral?
We sense it through all phases, acceleration, coasting, deceleration. But it’s not constant. Sometimes we think we are imagining it because it is subtle. But once you focus on it, it is annoying. I believe I feel it even when going 5mph in a parking lot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In addition to Jrprock79's suggestion, has the ATF been changed recently? If not you could be experiencing a shudder in the trans (hard to tell without being in the van, so this is just a thought).
Hmmm. We are just about at 10,000 miles since the last ATF change. I’ve been wondering since the suspension has been tuned up about the transmission. I have an extended warranty so I have another 15,000 miles. I’ll get the ATF changed and post again. Thank you all for the suggestions!

·
Registered
136 Posts
If the vibration doesn’t change when you lift the throttle or slide the shifter into neutral, it’s not the transmission. And almost definitely not a drive axle.

I’d be looking at the hubs for any play in the wheel bearings, checking the mounting of the wheels to the hubs, looking for things like fuel and brake lines that may be rubbing or grounding against the floor or firewall area.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If the vibration doesn’t change when you lift the throttle or slide the shifter into neutral, it’s not the transmission. And almost definitely not a drive axle.

I’d be looking at the hubs for any play in the wheel bearings, checking the mounting of the wheels to the hubs, looking for things like fuel and brake lines that may be rubbing or grounding against the floor or firewall area.
Ok. I’ll check first sliding the shifter into neutral. Honda did say that they checked the wheel bearings but the rest I don’t know about. I will pass this all on to them. Thanks!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Well, that rules out the transmission. Given that shocks/struts are new, my next thought is wheel alignment.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for hanging in this quest! When they replaced the shocks and struts they checked the alignment and said it was spot on. They didn’t run the spec sheet so I don’t know what “spot on” means. I do know that the rear camber showed red on both sides (-1.4 and -1.3) the last time I had it aligned. I’m told that the rear camber is not adjustable. But I’ve also read that these readings are so close to the normal range that there is no likely consequence. Do you agree?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Good question. I had mine aligned a few years ago and the dealer screwed things up...had to return for them to get it right. May be worth another opinion, especially if you are near a shop that tests alignment for free and only charged if/when it is needed.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Alignment won’t cause that either. You’d have so many other symptoms that would manifest long before this.

I’m assuming the cadence of the vibration is linear with vehicle speed?

It really sounds like a hub, rotor or wheel fitment problem.

If you drive between 2 buildings, like in an alley, can you hear anything?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts