Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '05 touring that came without Navi so I had a Pioneer X910BT unit installed with an iPOD cable adaptor and a converter to use the factory steering wheel controls. Anyway it has developed an interference style buzzing sound that comes and goes, sometimes when hitting a bump. Also sometimes cycling the power locks will turn it off. Sometimes the driver door speaker doesn't work. And sometimes everything works great. Recently some bluetooth issues have surfaced but they may not be related. The whole thing is driving me crazy!

The Honda guys are baffled and the car audio shop that installed the Pioneer said it's possibly a circuit board issue on the Honda factory amp. My question for you guys is that when you replace the dash unit, is there still a factory amp in the mix? Is this sort of thing outlined anywhere? I mean need to invest in a Helm manual.

Thanks for listening!

JM

BTW the Pioneer unit is very nice. A bit pricey, but nice.

·
Registered
34 Posts
yes there is an amp. i think it is located behind the glove box to the right of the cabin filter.

If the amp was the problem then it is strange the factory radio never had a problem. Sounds like a short or possibly ground loop most likely in the stuff they just installed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the Pioneer unit is off to Pioneer for warranty repair of the failed bluetooth cnnection. The factory radio is back in and I *assume* it is connected to the factory amp. No buzzing, hiss, or strange noises. Seems like everthing is fine.

The car audio shop wants to bypass the Honda amp when the Pioneer unit goes back in. They maintain that the Pioneer unit has a better amp anyway. Also they are convinced that the factory amp has a cracked circuit board causing the noises, thus expalining how bumps in the road make the issues come and go. As guidoq points out, shouldn't that then affect the factory radio as well?

Also under the passenger seat of the '05 touring model is a large metal box-like enclosure. Any idea what's in there, like a bass speaker? Seems to sealed up for a speaker.

Thanks for the help!

JM

·
Registered
436 Posts
IIRC that is the subwoofer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts