Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2000 Odyssey, and like so many others love the vehicle, but find the road noise a little loud. I even for some Michelin tired, which helped a little to quiet things.

The press releases says the 2002 Odyssey is quieter. Does anyone have first hand experience with a new 2002 and can attest that is it indeed quieter?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I traded my 01 EX with 7500 miles for an 02 EX. The 02 has less suspension noise (my 01 felt and sounded like something was loose in the front suspension at times) but there is still a moderate amount of road noise in the 02. Mostly varies with the type of road, I'm sure the tires have a lot to do with it. Honda could still do a better job of noise insulation in my opinion.

·
Registered
196 Posts
It appears to be a hit and miss situation. Some have posted the 02 as being quieter some say the opposite. My 02 is definitely not as quiet as my 01 was. Most of the noise is from internal panels rattling. Tire noise seems to be about the same. For some reason my engine is seems louder from inside the cabin than on the 01. I think it has to due with door seals or something on the firewall not being sealed because it doesn't seem that much louder from the outside. What is strange is that I can pinpoint tire (road) noise coming from the right rear wheel while I'm in the drivers seat. Lastly, there is more wind noise in my 02. It starts at around 40 mph. Not earth shattering but noticeable. IMO slightly more than the 01 had.

------------------

See my Pics

Tom
2002 RP EXL-RES

·
Registered
143 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tomhan:
It appears to be a hit and miss situation. Some have posted the 02 as being quieter some say the opposite.
</font>
Well, I must be one of those lucky ones... My brother has a '00 ody and the first thing he notices about my '02 ody is: Wow, your van is much quieter than mine...

Sid

[This message has been edited by ody2002 (edited 10-22-2001).]

·
Registered
23 Posts
Is there any concrete information from Honda regarding changes to noise insulation though? What about noise from the back area?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Gosh, I just couldn't make the link being shown correctly even after editing it for three times... Anyway, please go to hondanews.com to get the information.

Sid

[This message has been edited by ody2002 (edited 10-24-2001).]

·
Registered
32 Posts
My 2002 GG RES almost makes as much noise as freight train!!!!!!! This is not a joke!!!! It is fine until 60mph. Then, all of the sudden WOOSH and the noise continues to increase with speed. The noise is definately coming from the rear almost like a window is open, but obviously it is not. I noticed a whistle from the cross bars on the first drive. The dealer said it was the cross bars so I figured I would just take them off when I got home (100 miles away). After some checking I found THE DEALER had installed them wrong and put them in the wrong position on the side rails. After I reinstalled them the right way no more whistle from the cross bars but the wind noise in the rear persists.
The local dealer is going to check it out on Monday.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Remember, these are vans and, as such, are great big resonance chambers. If you want quiet in a van, you will have to go for a very high line DC model. Even then, it will still be a van, but without the rear seat well and spare tire well. Noise is one reason DC decided not to go for the magic seat. Sounds right to me.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jerry O:
Remember, these are vans and, as such, are great big resonance chambers. If you want quiet in a van, you will have to go for a very high line DC model. Even then, it will still be a van, but without the rear seat well and spare tire well. Noise is one reason DC decided not to go for the magic seat. Sounds right to me.

Jerry O.

</font>
Respectfully Jerry, I'm not so sure about that. My van is pretty quiet after the "anti-noise" mods. The various things I did were cheap or free except for my time.

Engineering the parts so every one fits onto it's sub-assembly the exact same way, time after time, would solve the problems we're talking about. Attention to assembly detail would be a pretty cheap method for Honda to use to fix these problems. Then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Vehicles don't have to be expensive to behave the way they should. Witness the Corolla. You may not like 'em, but they run the same at 125,000 miles and feel the same as they do when they're new. Extra money should buy extra features, not the proper operation of features you already paid for.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 10-24-2001).]

·
Registered
478 Posts
Sure sounds to me like we have a quality control problem here! I have to wonder if Honda didn't push the assembly lines a bit to have more Odys available to sell since they were in such great demand?
I do agree that vans may be inherently more difficult to make as quiet as a car due to the large, open interior (resonance chamber effect).
Some of the problem is undoubtedly due to design flaws, since as Chuck points out-the remedy can be fairly simple depending on the source of the noise.
Of course, you could always just do as someone else suggested: TURN UP THE VOLUME ON THE STEREO!

------------------
'02 RRP EX NAV
Mudguards,cargo tray,door edge protectors, gold emblems,
17" TSW Spirit wheels with 235/55 Dunlop Sport A2 tires Lots more to come!
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sid - Thanks for the link. The site does mention the reduction of noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH). Sounds good but I wasn't sure what it really mean so I found this link <a href="http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jk/at_001205.htm">http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jk/at_001205.htm</a>.

Now w/ all the feedbacks regarding not much improvement in noise reduction, I wonder if Honda just slap a couple more pieces of rubber and claim that NVH is "reduced".

BTW, I can accept that a van is noisier than a car; but I've driven other vans that are A LOT more quiet than the Ody. The only gripe that I filled in when I filled out the customer survey 1 month after my 99 purchased was the word "NOISY" in BIG letters.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts