Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Dude if you get 50k miles per rebuild that's horrible. and recommending the same mechanic each time is not good either, it means he has no idea what's he's doing, he's simply patching the same problem over again. this sounds like a spam post but I think it was part 13 of my transmission rebuild series that I showed everyone exactly the part that is failing. it's for the 5 speed, if you have a 99-2001 you have the 4 speed and you would need to grind out the oil channels on that thrust washer for 2nd clutch, the 5 speed's problem is 3rd clutch. the videos are on my channel on youtube under the same name "eksine"

Since, money is an issue. Agree with other posters. If van well maintained. I would go for a rebuild. Here's my
experience. 2001 (4 speed), Your's 2002 (5 speed, more reliable). ON 4th transmission. 214,000 miles on engine.

What I learned is, most places, Remove the transmission, send it out to local "re-builder", And I assume after the re-build, get back the original transmission, and re-install. (which adds to the expense. Re-builder has to make a profit, also).

ON my 4th transmission. I found a local, independent transmission shop. (highly recommended from friends and other mechanics). The owner, does the rebuild. Buys the kit, and removes/rebuilds/installs. Cost me $ 1999. Included
replacing one engine mount.

I also, added, magnefine filter, AND, change the tranny fluid every 8,000 miles. (other's recommend, every other oil change). So, far, my 4th transmission, has gone more miles than my previous tranny failures. (they average about 50,000 +/- before failing.

OH, not sure where you live, I'm in S.F. bay area, CA. (if you live here, I could PM you the mechanic I used).

Also, ask around, friends, mechanic, other 2nd generation owners you see. ASK, for recommendations...

Good luck.

·
Registered
500 Posts
@Iozawa thanks so much for the great suggestions - I think I will soon be in need of a new tranny and I see a lot of post like yours that mention ASKING around for recommendations. This is where I get a little stuck. No friends with Honda vans (and not old ones), never really trusted the local dealership who always tries to sell more than you need, and don't know anyone who has done this before. Is there a way to ask for recommendations on this forum for a zip code, or other place you might suggest online where one could go for recommendations like this? Any thoughts appreciated!
your's is the 5 speed you said? on my youtube channel I think on part 13 I show you which thrust washer is causing the 3rd clutch to destroy itself. it's under the account eksine, part 13, I think. again like it's been said before money wise it's not smart to rebuild this car back to running condition because the rebuild will be $2000-3000, AND you said a power steering leak? even if the leak is not on the steering rack itself you should DEFINITELY replace it with a rebuilt one off ebay, I think I used detroit axle brand and it was $130, I am serious if redoing the transmission, than don't consider the rack as optional. look at my "how to remove transmission on a 2002 odyssey video on youtube, skip to the part where I remove the steering rack, that's how insane it is just to replace that rack, the subframe must be loosened or removed. also if getting a rebuilt transmission ask nitely2 about where he got his, he's been giving regular updates and it's been holding strong, he even got a rebuilt torque converter with his deal and it was like $1800 he said

also if doing this , this is the perfect time to replace the rear main seal where the engine meets the transmission, there is also an o-ring right on top of the main seal, both need replacing. if your power steering leak is at the pump worry about that leak later, the pump is easy to diagnose the leak, it's usually just an o-ring or a hose leak. the high pressure power steering hose assembly is also something to replace at this time, the aftermarket ones are cheap but sometimes are crooked so you have to bend the metal to the right position

21 - 22 of 22 Posts