Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted awhile ago that with only 278 miles on it, my 2001 EX needed a transmission due to a turbine-like noise from the torque converter. So far, my Odyssey owner's experience has been untidy. Several failed delivery dates came and went for a new part to get to the dealership. Seems that my problem is so "unusual" since new cars--especially Hondas--don't require transmissions that they couldn't find one quickly. They finally did, but American Honda has said it has the right to give me a remanufactured transmission. This is not a new one; and no matter how convincing they make it sound, my new car is getting an "older" part. I'm not happy. Any encouragement from this board? I could sure use it: between rotten gas mileage and a "failed" transmission, I'm regretful of my purchase decision. Help?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think other people who had the transmission "clunk" also got remanufactured transmissions... you might check the threads, do a search for transmission clunk. I'm sorry your experience hasn't been as good as you'd hoped, but maybe things will turn around for you.

------------------
Eric
'01 SS EX/NAVI
Next up: Replace factory speakers

·
Registered
255 Posts
I, too, am sorry about your ownership experience to date - which seems to be quite unusual for Hondas. Rest assured, however, that remanufactured parts should be every bit as reliable as new parts. Many replacement automotive parts are remanufactured units - alternators; water pumps; starters; etc. The core of these parts are generally new, but they're installed into used (but reconditioned) housings - hence the term "remanufactured". They are subject to extensive testing during the remanufacturing process to ensure that they equal or exceed new specifications. Plus, your remanufactured transmission will still be covered under the original Honda warranty.

------------------
David
'01 GG EX-NAVI
Classic Soft Trim leather kit; Audiovox entertainment system; Gentex auto dimming compass/temp rear view mirror; Pioneer speakers front & rear; splash guards; cargo tray; cargo liner; power door mods; Helm manual; Honda litter bag.

·
Registered
71 Posts
David makes a good point. In fact, an argument could be made that a remanufactured unit is actually more reliable than a new unit since it has been fully unit-tested (rather than post-assembly system-tested). The argument goes that a "known good" transmission is better than an "unknown new" one.

Good luck and sorry for the annoyances.

------------------
Eric
'01 SS EX/NAVI
Next up: Replace factory speakers

·
Registered
196 Posts
For what it's worth I had a 2000 Accord EX-V6 that had the reverse clunk problem at 600 miles. Honda replaced the transmission with a "NEW" one with no questions asked. The shop work order specifically said new on it. The dealer told me that if I was willing to take a refurbised trans Honda would give me a 5 year warranty on it. I opted for the new one. Push your dealer on this and at least get an extended warranty.

Good luck!

------------------
Tom
2001 SS EX ?

·
Registered
192 Posts
I worked a number of years in a remanufacturing plant (not Honda) and can attest to the quality of products. The remanufactured unit will carry the original warranty. So, the unit is really no different than new... in that respect. Saying that, I would still really push for a NEW unit (even if they "reserve the right"). You reserve the right to have a good transmission at 278 miles! Plus, transmissions tend to have a higher-than-average return rate (defect level) on reman's (when compared to other reman components).

The Ody is a quality product from a quality company. Every make and model has problem units, no car maker is exempt. I'm sorry you're having these difficulties.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I'm amending my original post title to "Is a third transmission "new"? This van has 302 miles on it now--260 of them back and forth to the dealer--and the second transmission is not working correctly. Both Zone and District have examined it, and my dealer doesn't even want me to drive it so they've lent me a Suburban to drive to Colorado. They have my Odyssey, I have their Suburban, and we all know what I want in the end. The dealer hopes Honda feels the same way; and this week, he'll be working on getting me out of the car and into a new one. Forevermore, I haven't even paid the sales taxes yet. We'll see. Very interesting.

Surely, this is a first??

[This message has been edited by MerpsMom (edited 07-07-2001).]

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hmmmmm....this reminds me of my Colorado vacation last year. We made it from Idaho to Colorado in our Suburban but the transmission (THM 400) was going out when we arrived. I had AAMCO do a rebuild on the tranny but it went out again on the way home. It turned out that there was a small crack in the valve body, a part which isn't replaced in the rebuilding process. When the transmission would heat up (highway driving), the crack would enlarge and would allow transmission fluid to bypass its normal flow path. The clutch plates in the transmission would slip and eventually they failed.

In your case if they replaced the transmission with a different one, the problem with the second tranny would not be similar to my problem. If they remanufactured your existing transmission (rebuilt it with your existing housing and valve body) there could be a problem with the housing or valve body which wasn't noticed during the rebuilding process. Maybe the dealer is not being totally honest with you as to what they are doing to fix your van.

I would suggest that you demand that they order a factory fresh, factory new transmission and accept nothing else. I find it hard to believe that they can't order a new transmission from the factory, which by the way would probably cost them much more than a rebuild! Another thing you could do is mention to the dealer that you are getting close to the point where you could call it a "Lemon".

------------------
'01 TW EX

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm...that story of the Suburban doesn't inspire confidence in the thing: it's a '99 with 36,000 miles on it. I have my cell and the dealer's number: it's not MY car, just my problem, I guess. Pray it goes well.

Re my Odyssey, I've avoided using the "L" word, but the info on the transmission's being a safety device is interesting to have. Since I'm leaving, the problem falls into my spouse's hands: hope he's as quiet-but-tough as I've been. He's madder than I am. If anyone cares, I'll post an ongoing another time. Thanx for the encouragement.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I sure wouldn't worry about the Suburban transmission, I know many people with Subs and Tahoes and have owned four of them myself with zero transmission problems.

GM makes good robust transmissions in the vast majority of cases (always exceptions, of course).

Jim

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am having my transmission replaced as we speak. I never thought to ask whether it was remanufactured or not. It only had 14K on it, but it's almost 2 yrs old, so I only have a year of the original warranty left. Apparently, I can still purchase the HondaCare warranty without penalty before the 2 year mark, and I'm considering doing just that. I'm no big fan of automatics in the first place and this isn't helping. On the other hand, thinking back on my choices, there wasn't anything else worth considering (still isn't, IMHO), so I guess it was this or no van at all.

Sorry for venting, part of the healing process.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just tried to post a reply but was told I didn't exist. Did I lose my identify in the change??

Whoops, there it is. Another mystery.

Sorry to hear that others are having transmission problems. My dealer's been terrific about mine, and in two weeks I should have a brand-new replacement car. He's lent me all kinds of vehicles, and agrees with me that the second transmission should have been brand-new, not remanufactured. I hope my karma doesn't spread to others on this board: feeling just a tad snake-bit right now. If the word Odyssey means "journey", so far, mine has been a forced march.

Someone here in-the-know speculated that had I registered the car with the state, I would not have had such an easy time getting a replacement vehicle. Is this true? And if this all works out as I hope, may I nominate my dealer for at least an Attaboy?

[This message has been edited by MerpsMom (edited 07-17-2001).]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Update - The good news is, It'll be ready tonight, not tomorrow.

When I asked if it was remanufactured or new, he checked and came back with "remanufactured and updated"(!?!) This is the first I've heard that they made any changes to the design of the transmission. I don't know whether to be thrilled or suspicious.

He also said the warranty on the transmission was 1 year or the end of the original warranty, whichever was later.

Looks like I'll need an updated list of dealers who discount HondaCare.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yet another update - Got a rare opportunity to take Ody to work today(it's really Mrs 3k's car). First experience with the new 'remanufactured/updated' tranny. So far, so good. It actually seems a little stronger on the low end in both forward and reverse compared to the original transmission (back when I was happy with it). This unfortunately rewards my lead foot with even faster 0-60 response, so we'll see if it has a detrimental effect on the already-low local gas mileage.

------------------
Tom3k, '00 GG LX

1 - 15 of 15 Posts