Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is an extended warranty really necessary on the Odyssey? Honda has a great reliability record so why would one be needed? Has anyone acutally used their extended warranty?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I look at the extended warranty as an insurance policy. The best one is the one you never use. Honda has a reputation for reliability but Odyssey is a complex vehicle. Just one time repair (e.g. tranny, power sliding door, navigation system, ...) may very well exceed the cost of the warranty. It may and may not happen. Noone can tell.

I haven't had any accident in the last 20 years but that doesn't mean I'm about to cancel my insurance policy.

------------------
'02 GG NAVI-L

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rjc3337:
Is an extended warranty really necessary on the Odyssey? Honda has a great reliability record so why would one be needed? Has anyone acutally used their extended warranty? </font>
The way I thought of it is:

Would I buy the Odyssey if it cost $875 more than I though but now comes with a 7 year/0 deductible/100,000 mile warranty? If another dealer offered me the same vehicle for $875 less with a 3/36,000 warranty, which one would I take?

The answer for me is yes to the 7/0/100,000 Ody. So, I just think of the additional cost as part of buying the vehicle.

I know it is just a mind game
I'm playing, but it works for me.

Regards,

Maugham

·
Registered
67 Posts
My $.02. Insurance is for costs you cannot, or do not want to cover yourself. I carry high deductables on most of my insurances because it reduces the premiums, and I am taking on some of the risk myself, but limiting the downside. Question: do I expect my '02 Ody to have a major problem in the next 7 years? No. Am I willing to pay $875 to be sure that some of these complex pieces of equipment do not jump up and bite me? Yes. Left to its own devices, I am sure the power doors will be working fine in 7 years. My engineering-oriented three year old however, may cause me problems. (He loves to take things apart.) It is piece of mind that I am buying, and for the price, well worth it.

------------------
'02 TW EX-L (here at last!!!)
Previous Hondas:
'88 Prelude S
'78 Accord Hatchback

·
Registered
255 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by swonuke4:
My engineering-oriented three year old however, may cause me problems. (He loves to take things apart.) It is piece of mind that I am buying, and for the price, well worth it.</font>
Exactly. And in 5 years, your 8 yr. old son will have figured out how to use your electric drill and power saw, and will be able to swing a hammer with a heck of a lot more force. (Don't ask me how I know all this.)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the help. I think I will purchase the extended warranty. This is my second Odyssey. I had a 2000 EX Nav that I traded for the 2002. I had an extended warranty on it but never used it. I had 80,000 miles on it when I traded it in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts