Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in light of the impact of this tragedy might have on the economy is anyone reconsidering?

i am having second doubts now.

·
Registered
478 Posts
NO DOUBTS AT ALL!! Of course, everyone must evaluate their own financial situation, but I am CONFIDENT that we will come through this just fine. Yes, some things will be different and there may be some economic impact-but what better way to "stimulate" the economy than to buy a new car?

------------------
On the waiting list for my '02 EX Nav in RED!

·
Registered
68 Posts
No doubts here! While we need to always be logical in our decisions, we must not retreat. That is exactly what these terrorists want.

If your personal economic situation looks stable, I would hold strong.

Greg

·
Registered
483 Posts
We are reconsidering our decision to buy a 2002 ODY not because of the economy but rather because of the impact to our lives of the suffering in NY city and the million stories you hear on TV where innocent people have lost their lives or loved ones. It gives you a different perspective of life. We are now deciding what we need rather than what we want. This whole tragedy has changed my family's priorities at this point. It made us count our blessings.

In the end, we may still get one but not because we want one but rather because we need one.

We pray before meals and thank GOD for the little things he has given us during the day and at the end of every prayer my daughters would always say "and help those who are suffering in NY today."

·
Registered
207 Posts
I can't imagine anyone **not** be profoundly affected by the NY/DC tragedies. Only human beings utterly devoid of compassion and sensibility could feel otherwise.

Having said that, I feel compelled to state that, IMHO, it is extremely imperative that we (a) offer assistance (to the extent possible); (b) keep the victims and their loved ones in our prayers; (c) denounce these abominable and cowardly acts; (d) remain calm, don't panic; and (e) make every effort to return to normalcy with respect to our daily activities.

Rather difficult in light of the events that have occurred, but I fear that if we allow these events to take control of our daily lives, the terrorists will have accomplished their objective. Clearly, these deplorable acts were designed to do more than inflict serious bodily harm and death; they were designed to disrupt our entire way of life. They want to destroy our financial institutions and shake our confidence to the core.

Absolutely, pray, mourn, and count your blessings. But I implore everyone not to give these terrorists the ultimate satisfaction of seeing fear, panic and the collapse of our economic system.

God Bless America and peace loving souls.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I did consider changing my mind, since I was scheduled to sign the loan papers yesterday. I wondered if I should hold off on a huge purchase until things straightened out.

I went ahead with the purchase anyway, because of what you said. Normalcy and "don't panic".

Homer:

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Having said that, I feel compelled to state that, IMHO, it is extremely imperative that we (a) offer assistance (to the extent possible)</font>
I'd love to be able to offer whatever assistance I could. It would be nice to have a clearinghouse somewhere for vetting these offers and managing the volunteer effort.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well said Homer!!

------------------
Future Owner '02 MB EXL NAV
Current Owner '96 R Dodge GC ES

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by slocko:
in light of the impact of this tragedy might have on the economy is anyone reconsidering?

i am having second doubts now.
</font>
I always have doubts about any major purchase or commitm... see, I can't even type that word

No one knows the long-term effect of the current situation on the economy.

I keep in mind that it was WWII that ended the global depression of the '30s, leading to the longest and strongest period of expansion in the history of the U.S..

If our family had firm evidence that our income is at risk, we'd cancel our order. We don't have such evidence.

Recent events are a continuation of what has been going on around the world for many years.

"So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself -- nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance." - Franklin Delano Roosevelt, in his inaugural address, 1933.

Regards,

------------------
Maugham

"I plan to live forever. So far, so good"
'02 RP EX-L on order
'85 Prelude that we'll keep!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Ditto everything Homer said!! Don't change your lifestyle because of what some cowards did because then they will have accomplished their goal. Instead, go on with your life but never forget our fellow citizens who lost theirs. And give what you can to help - especially your money and blood. For those of you who have never donated blood and have heard "horror stories" about what it's like, I am *the* biggest fraidy cat out there when it comes to needles but I've given 28 pints of blood in my lifetime (29 after next Wednesday - scheduled donation at my work). (I'm type O+; Red Cross loves me!!) Eat a *full* meal at least 1-1/2 hours before you donate and drink lots of fluids (not pop) up to and after donating. Yes, you're going to feel a stick, but it's not near as bad as you imagine it will be. The amazing thing is it makes you feel better about 2 or 3 days after donating - your body kicks in high gear to replace the lost red blood cells so you get a boost of all-new, oxygen-rich cells. (Which is why a lot of athletes practice "blood doping" to enhance their performance.) You'll feel this boost for 1-2 weeks after donating. Medical studies have also shown that men who are regular blood donors have less incidence of heart disease (because donating blood rids the body of accumulated iron, which is bad for the heart.) Please call or go by your local Red Cross donation center today.

------------------
David
'01 GG EX-NAVI
Classic Soft Trim leather kit; Audiovox entertainment system; Gentex auto dimming compass/temp rear view mirror; Pioneer speakers front & rear; leather steering wheel wrap; splash guards; cargo tray; cargo liner; power door mods; Helm manual; Honda litter bag.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am going to postpone my decision to see how this turns out. I am a contractor so currently I am unemployed until they reopen the area so I can get back to work.

I can only think of the people trapped in the floors above where the planes struck. It must have been impossible for those people to evacuate. Those that didn't jump out of desperation, probably died in the collapse.
The company I worked for last year had moved to to the 40th floor of the first tower a few months ago. Thank god every body I knew there is okay. They made it out.

I shudder to think that a career choice could have put me in the employment of any of those companies that had employees on the higher floors.

I walk by the twin towers every morning, but fortunately that day I was running late and by the time my bus got on the turnkpike it was already backed up. All the cell phones on the bus began ringing and minutes later the driver took a vote and he turned the bus around. We got to see the towers on fire from far away.

My co-workers at 180 Maiden Lane saw the whole thing. One of my friends lives at Battery Park and went outside after the first impact. While outside she got to see the second plane hit. She was so panicked that she almost jumped into the river.

Another friend was at work at Financial Center. He saw a body expelled on fire from the first tower hit the pavement. He says every time he closes his eyes he replays the image.

Just horrible.

·
Registered
478 Posts
slocko-In your case it sounds like a very reasonable choice to make. Glad you are OK; my sympathy goes to you and your friends. It is a devasting, life changing kind of event for sure! It can (and should) cause all of us to pause and re-evaluate our priorities in life. Also kind of puts the day to day annoyances of life into perspective!
May justice prevail!!

------------------
On the waiting list for my '02 EX Nav in RED!

[This message has been edited by ody (edited 09-13-2001).]

·
Registered
45 Posts
We're reconsidering our original plan to buy an Odyssey next year and moving our purchase up to buy one NOW (once they are available).

I won't allow myself be a part of allowing these [email protected] to disrupt the economy, democracy, and way of life of the free world.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts