Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BOught 2002 Ody EX in PA on Oct of this year, as I was driving 3 hours home I noticed steering wheel was off center. I called dealer and they told me to go to nearest dealer and they would fix it at no cost. Went to NY dealer today and they told me it is not covered and I need to bring it back to PA dealer if I want it fixed at no cost. Car only has 437 miles on it. Does NOT pull to right steering wheel is just off.

Is this BS or what?

Thanks
Steven

·
Registered
205 Posts
Well, I can't help you on the dealer BS, but I have the exact same problem. When driving straight ahead, the wheel is turned slightly to the right. Not a big problem, but irritating nevertheless. I hope that it is covered, because I bought my Ody (has 700 miles on it now) from a dealer 400 miles away. I'm not driving all the way back there just to get the steering wheel adjusted...

------------------
Richard
2002 Granite Green EX-L
Splash Guards, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats

·
Registered
18 Posts
Your dealer is just being an @ss about it.

Normally Honda recommends you return to your selling dealer, but it is NOT a requirement.

Perhaps you should remind the dealer's service department that you will be eventually using them for maintenance services ... so a little warranty work should not be an issue. They ARE getting paid for the work from Honda regardless of where the vehicle came from.

Knock wood, I have NEVER had your problem. All Honda dealers I have dealt with cheerfully take care of any problems on any of my Hondas, whether or not I bought it there.

I remember years ago growing up in New York City that a well placed $20 bill usually helped in securing a service appointment ...

------------------
Keith
2001 MB EX
Mud Flaps, Wheel Locks, Cargo Tray, Thule Crossbars with Cargo Box, 6.8" LCD TV System with FM Modulator, Accord EX 6 Disc/Cassette Double DIN Head Unit, Pioneer 1655/1086 Speakers

[This message has been edited by 3Boyz (edited 11-09-2001).]

·
Registered
207 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 3Boyz:
Your dealer is just being an @ss about it.</font>
I agree but is there a solution? I mean, as long as I can remember, whenever I've called various service departments, I've been asked (at some point) whether I bought the vehicles at the particular dealership. Hence, in the past, I've made every attempt to buy from the nearest dealer. In general, it's worked out fairly well but I've still received some pretty shoddy treatment despite the fact that the purchase was from the same dealer servicing the vehicle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Have the same problem with my other car before. If the steering wheel is just a little off (less than 5 degree, I think), yet the alignment is correct, it is not classified as a problem under warranty.

I brought it back to the dealer I purchased the vehicle from during the first free follow up service and they did the adjustment for me as a courtesy. It is not billable back to the manufacturer as warranty service.

May be you can see if one of the dealers will do it for you along with a service as a courtesy. Should be a quick fix anyway.

·
Registered
134 Posts
A friend of mine bought a 2000 Dakota with the same problem. Steering wheel was just one spline off on the column. At first the dealer balked but eventually fixed it claiming it was a courtesey (although you know they called it a warrantee job and billed Honda <as they should>). This dealer also mentioned somehing about 5 degrees off being still within spec. But people don't realise how small 5 degrees is. There are, after all, 360 of them suckers on your steering wheel. 5 degrees is 1/72 nd of that. My point is that if you notice the wheel being off at all, you're probably looking at 10 degrees or so. Get out your protractor and visit your dealer. You and I both know the alignment is OK but tell the service dept about having to turn the wheel slightly to go straight and to check the alignment on their machine. When the wheels are lazer straight on the rack, that's the best time to look at the steering wheel. Invite yourself into the service bay and ask to look at it. If the wheel is undeniably crooked beyond spec. they will have to fix it. Just be sure steering really is off before you take it in. Dont forget, most roads have a "crown" to them so rainwater can run off. Go to a straight three lane divided interstate with good pavement and test your steering wheel position in all three lanes. good luck

------------------
'91 Sentra SE-R
'57 Chevy Belair Sport Coupe.
If at first you don't succeed...so much for skydiving.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts