Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14,379 Posts
Please note: the directions above are from the factory service manual. Users of that manual would already know to disconnect the negative battery cable before working on the cable assembly at least. You don't want to fix one thing and fry some electronics that are way more expensive.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,127 Posts
By the looks of the manual diagrams above, the connectors for this harness are clearly behind the door panel - it's gonna have to come off to get at the connectors.

If that $400 quote includes the cost of the part, I'd probably say to just let the dealer do it unless you have experience in taking interior panels apart without damaging or breaking them. I'm guessing you don't because you're trying to avoid removing the door panel in the first place. And I'm not being judgy here at all - I'm the exact same way. I get anxious as soon as I have to start popping interior panels apart. The people I know who are comfortable working inside door panels (car stereo installers and aficionados come to mind here) think nothing of popping the door and trim panels off.

Reactions: 2011.2017.odyssey

·
Registered
643 Posts
By the looks of the manual diagrams above, the connectors for this harness are clearly behind the door panel - it's gonna have to come off to get at the connectors.

If that $400 quote includes the cost of the part, I'd probably say to just let the dealer do it unless you have experience in taking interior panels apart without damaging or breaking them. I'm guessing you don't because you're trying to avoid removing the door panel in the first place. And I'm not being judgy here at all - I'm the exact same way. I get anxious as soon as I have to start popping interior panels apart. The people I know who are comfortable working inside door panels (car stereo installers and aficionados come to mind here) think nothing of popping the door and trim panels off.
taking them off is the easy part...
its replacing any damaged clips and aligning those damn clips properly to get the panel back on.
difficulty level for the door panels is less than the rear panel covering the hvac and power door mechanism.
a real pita to line back up, and set all those clips in their proper place.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,130 Posts
If that $400 quote includes the cost of the part, I'd probably say to just let the dealer do it unless you have experience in taking interior panels apart without damaging or breaking them. I'm guessing you don't because you're trying to avoid removing the door panel in the first place.
I have taken the sliding door panel off (and am generally comfortable doing those kinds of jobs). I'd guess it is <20 minutes of work to do it if you know what you are doing and have the right tools.

-Charlie

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,127 Posts
I have taken the sliding door panel off (and am generally comfortable doing those kinds of jobs). I'd guess it is <20 minutes of work to do it if you know what you are doing and have the right tools.

-Charlie
Those are some pretty big ifs. ;)

For me, the intimidating part of disassembling and reassembling interior pieces is not the cost of tools or new clips or the extra time it would inevitably take me to learn my way through the first time at a job. The intimidating part is the potential for ending up with new squeaks and rattles in the interior that weren't there before. I openly admit that those small noises drive me bonkers more than the big noises do. Big noises can usually be found and fixed, but small ones... :mad:

·
Registered
14,379 Posts
I think kids step on it when entering the rear seat. With a carseat in the second row it is not easy to slide that seat forward for access.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I think kids step on it when entering the rear seat. With a carseat in the second row it is not easy to slide that seat forward for access.
most likely, was curious what prompted the hit and run poster to go to the dealer, those symptoms might help others when troubleshooting.

which is the essence of the forum after all, and also which most new posters miss.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts