Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed fog lights? How easy or difficult is it? Is it simple to install the switch? Is the minivan already pre-wired? Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
13,811 Posts
If you search you will find existing threads on this.

Also, you can goto an online Honda parts & accessory seller like:

http://handa-accessories.com/odyssey.html

Locate the fog lights and download a pdf file of the installation instructions.

But do search here also. There are tips and tricks. Among them: have some spare bumper clips and installing transmission and power steering coolers while you have the bumper off.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Zoozeek, I have installed Honda's fog lights on my '07. I have also installed them on previously owned '00 and '02 Odysseys. I am not a mechanic, but I love installing accessories on my Honda autos and Goldwing.

In some respects the '07 was easier. The van is prewired somewhat, but there is still some wire routing and connecting. For me there were two difficult areas.

Under the hood, on the passenger side, nearly up against the firewall is the "under hood fuse/relay box". This has to be separated and two wires pushed into the back of an 18 pin connector located within that box. And then the whole thing buttoned back up. Whew, I bet I spent an hour-and-a-half performing that step. Everything inside that box is saturated in die-electric grease and it was pretty difficult. Plus, I wanted to be 100% sure I got the 2 wires in the correct locations avoiding future electrical problems.

The other difficult function was installing the switch into the dash. Dang, I was at wits end to get that switch panel out of the dash. It finally came out, but I was sure I was going to break something. I did lose a couple of wire clips, but was able to eventually get everything back to gether perfectly.

I've painted a gloom and doom picture, but it all worked out in the end. For me the impetus was to save a couple of hundred bucks.

Review the instructions here and go for it. (Scroll down to fog lights)

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/spaccessories.jsp?mp=2&lmt=48&pp=N&hidyear=2007&hidtype=Y&hidmodel=Odyssey

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice!

sixtn39 said:
Zoozeek, I have installed Honda's fog lights on my '07. I have also installed them on previously owned '00 and '02 Odysseys. I am not a mechanic, but I love installing accessories on my Honda autos and Goldwing.

In some respects the '07 was easier. The van is prewired somewhat, but there is still some wire routing and connecting. For me there were two difficult areas.

Under the hood, on the passenger side, nearly up against the firewall is the "under hood fuse/relay box". This has to be separated and two wires pushed into the back of an 18 pin connector located within that box. And then the whole thing buttoned back up. Whew, I bet I spent an hour-and-a-half performing that step. Everything inside that box is saturated in die-electric grease and it was pretty difficult. Plus, I wanted to be 100% sure I got the 2 wires in the correct locations avoiding future electrical problems.

The other difficult function was installing the switch into the dash. Dang, I was at wits end to get that switch panel out of the dash. It finally came out, but I was sure I was going to break something. I did lose a couple of wire clips, but was able to eventually get everything back to gether perfectly.

I've painted a gloom and doom picture, but it all worked out in the end. For me the impetus was to save a couple of hundred bucks.

Review the instructions here and go for it. (Scroll down to fog lights)

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/spaccessories.jsp?mp=2&lmt=48&pp=N&hidyear=2007&hidtype=Y&hidmodel=Odyssey

·
Registered
296 Posts
Mike pointed out the 2 hard parts, the fuse panel is a bit of a stuggle (remove whatever gets in the way for more freedom). Getting the dash open is also a bit of a struggle, since it's the first time and one isn't quite sure what to pull. Once it's open, there isn't a lot of room, but it's just plug in. (Finding the needed wire, it's well tucked up under the dash, by the firewall)
I used the far right opening for the switch, but wish i had placed it on the left instead. so give some thought which switch opening to use.
As for the rest of the install, it's not hard, just follow the directions.
do search the forum for a number of threads on install, there are a number of them, with comments, etc.
Oh yeah, don't recall if it was the fog lamps or the A/T cooler that required pulling the plastic pan underneath the engine, but i found a number of those holders are not meant to come out, so get replacements before starting if you pull that thing.
It's doable if you mess with cars/engines/etc.

One more thing, get that pdf that was mentioned, the fog lamp parts don't come with instructions. You need the pdf file.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If someone needs extra pannel connectors, I had temporarily lost 8 of mine during some work on it, so bought more. Now I have extras.

·
Registered
70 Posts
sixtn39 said:
... The other difficult function was installing the switch into the dash. Dang, I was at wits end to get that switch panel out of the dash. It finally came out, but I was sure I was going to break something. I did lose a couple of wire clips, but was able to eventually get everything back to gether perfectly.
Hey Mike, I got done with all the external wiring and save the best part for last... :) Got any tips on how to get that switch panel trim out? I think I tried for about 10 minutes and decided to call it a day.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Perseverance, ewoo. It is very difficult.

I don't have the time to look for it now, but I believe another member installer drilled out the blank switch cover at the location he chose to locate the fog light switch, which helped him, he thought, to remove the blank.

My advise is to keep pushing and pulling. I thought for sure that mine was going to break in two, but the plastic was very tough.

·
Registered
70 Posts
sixtn39 said:
Perseverance, ewoo. It is very difficult.

I don't have the time to look for it now, but I believe another member installer drilled out the blank switch cover at the location he chose to locate the fog light switch, which helped him, he thought, to remove the blank.

My advise is to keep pushing and pulling. I thought for sure that mine was going to break in two, but the plastic was very tough.
Thanks Mike! Got it off. Finished-up the install. Everything works nicely.

Any tips though on the best order for reinstalling the front bumper? I reinstalled mine and the gap where the bumper meets the headlight on the driver's side is noticeably wider. I'm sure the clips where engaged. I'm guessing it has something to do with the order in which I put things back together (especially the screws in the wheel well).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Never mind. I just dropped by my dealership and checked-out all the new Ody's on the lot. I ran my fingers along the bottom of both headlights--where they meet the front bumper. Every single one of them had a noticeable gap on the driver's side. Looks like a design/manufacturing flaw.

I was very surprised. My $25,000 VW GTI has much tighter panel gap tolerances than my $30,000 Honda. :(

·
Registered
628 Posts
I don't know, ewoo, I do not see any difference between those gaps on my '07.

If you are referring to the bumper sticking out horizontally from the headlight, my van does not have that problem either.

·
Registered
70 Posts
sixtn39 said:
I don't know, ewoo, I do not see any difference between those gaps on my '07.

If you are referring to the bumper sticking out horizontally from the headlight, my van does not have that problem either.
Mike, looks like yours is pretty good but the issues might be present on your passenger side.

Hard to tell on the photo but run your index finger between where the headlight assembly meets the bumper. Pay extra attention to the part where it curves around the corner. You'll notice that on one side, the headlight protrudes ever so slightly beyond the bumper on a horizontal axis (normal) but on the other side, the bumper's top edge protrudes slightly further than the headlight assembly---and there's a noticeable gap (about 5mm) on the corner edge.

I'll take some photos tomorrow and post it. Thanks for checking!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm planning to install an oem foglight in my 07 Ody. Very cheap now.
Have seen the instructions/video and I was wondering if I can skip the steps with regards to the fuse relay box.
Will there be an issue if I skip that steps? Instead, I will just buy a separate relay and fuse then just tap supply to the battery and ground to the chassis.

thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know this is an old thread. I recently purchased an 07 ex-l, which came with the fog lights already installed by the previous owner. Problem is they are wired to the vehicle's lights (turn on with parking & headlights). How to go about rewiring them to a separate switch?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts