Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just bought a 2011 EX-L w RES and was wondering what it would take (and cost) to add the NAV. Is it a do-it-yourself mod? It seems that the screen, etc. are already there. Has anyone done this?

thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is an interesting question. I would think it would be very difficult, since NAV is probably integrated with the car's computer, and is not a simple add-on module (well, the GPS receiver could be, but probably not the "brains" of the GPS). Also, the NAV cars come with a bigger hard drive (15 GB user available), presumably because additional hard drive space is necessary to store the GPS maps. Thus, any consumer-upgrade to NAV would require replacing the car's hard drive with a bigger one -- a task I imagine would be very difficult, since the hard drive is probably written in some proprietary or obscure file system that could not be recognized by your desktop computer, and thus could not be easily cloned to a larger hard drive.

This would be a killer mod if it's possible, though, and if it really were possible, I'd probably try it :)

·
Registered
730 Posts
Even if it is technically possible, how much are you willing to spend? It wouldn't be cheap.

·
Registered
50 Posts
At least $2K (my guess). You can get a top line of Garmin less than $400 with lifetime maps and traffic update. Better GPS than Honda's.

·
Registered
730 Posts
At least $2K (my guess). You can get a top line of Garmin less than $400 with lifetime maps and traffic update. Better GPS than Honda's.
Agreed, particularly in light of those who say the days of stand alone GPS is coming to and end. Personally, I own several Garmins and hope the stand alone market can survive. Smart phones get the job done but don't beat a dedicated system in my opinion.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have EX-L (plain). Is it possible to add a HDTV monitor on the ceiling (The location elite has). I do not plan to use a DVD player. I will hook up the monitor with a media player.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have EX-L (plain). Is it possible to add a HDTV monitor on the ceiling (The location elite has). I do not plan to use a DVD player. I will hook up the monitor with a media player.
I'm interested in this too. I could not justify paying over $1,000 for RES, in a vehicle I hope to use for at least 10 years, when it is quite doubtful we'll even be using DVD's several years from now. If I do install a screen, I want it to be input variable -- a screen connected to an HDMI cable terminating in the glove box would be nice. Then I could build a little HTPC or even stick a small form-factor laptop in there which could play DVD, Blu-Ray, as well has DivX and other video files on the hard drive. Could even do Netflix streaming over 3G :)

·
Super Moderator
13,639 Posts
Moved to Audio/Video/NAV forum.

I see that we're deviating from the original question.

NAV can be added but the cost and the effort is not worthwhile. One guy did it in the 2nd gen and the pix were SCARY to say the least. King did it in the 3rd gen and had to fabricate his own wiring harnesses. I am sure the same can be done in the 4th gen but you would come out much ahead if you use a Garmin or trade in and get a NAV model.

As to adding the HDTV screen, I am sure that can be attached and what not but Honda uses a proprietary bus to power the screen as evidenced by posts on adding an aftermarket NAV system that supports DVDs to 3rd Gen RES models. One fellow in the 3rd gen hack job'd his RES Radio and used the circuit board to power the Video screen and another used a NAV controller to cleanly power the screen.

So, bottom line, though it can be done, I would NOT recommend adding a factory NAV system or the factory screen. Go aftermarket if you need to.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, thanks for all the replies. I do have a garmin and that was our thought when purchasing, but I just wondered if the upgrade was plug and play or more in depth (which seems to be the case).

·
Registered
1 Posts
NAV Add on

When you look at the parts diagram the radio is the same between the two and the only thing missing was the nav ant which is 23 dollers. So buying one of those and plugging it into the radio should give GPS capability then its a matter of loading the white disk?
Don

·
Registered
3 Posts
When you look at the parts diagram the radio is the same between the two and the only thing missing was the nav ant which is 23 dollers. So buying one of those and plugging it into the radio should give GPS capability then its a matter of loading the white disk?
Don
I don't know which parts diagram you're looking at, but the one here:

parts.sonshonda.com

Indicates that you would need to replace the panel assembly, and the tuner assembly as well. Those two parts alone (not including the antenna, screws, jog dial, etc) is going to run you at or above $6k. Going with OEM parts, your better off just buying the Touring outright.

I'm in that boat right now (which is why I have the links - was thinking about a retrofit like King did, only for the 2011)... I want the RES+NAV, but the Touring is just a little out of my comfort zone on price. Waiting for the new incentives to be posted to see if I can get something going. Otherwise, I'll be going with an aftermarket RES.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Don
No, it probably also requires a hard drive upgrade. I believe NAV vehicles have 15 GB off space to load music, compared to 2 GB on non-NAV vehicles. This says to me that the NAV vehicles have larger hard drives than non-NAV vehicles. Some of the larger hard drive is probably used for map data and GPS software, and then the remainder is made available for loading music. Replacing a non-NAV hard drive with a NAV hard drive is probably very difficult, since you would probably need to clone the data from the original non-NAV hard drive over to the NAV hard drive.

·
Registered
730 Posts
No, it probably also requires a hard drive upgrade. I believe NAV vehicles have 15 GB off space to load music, compared to 2 GB on non-NAV vehicles. This says to me that the NAV vehicles have larger hard drives than non-NAV vehicles. Some of the larger hard drive is probably used for map data and GPS software, and then the remainder is made available for loading music. Replacing a non-NAV hard drive with a NAV hard drive is probably very difficult, since you would probably need to clone the data from the original non-NAV hard drive over to the NAV hard drive.
That page just has the tuner, another has the GPS unit and HDD both very expensive. Also, you have the wiring issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts