Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not driving due to the outbreak of the virus, but I am worried something like the battery for example might fail. I am newbie to cars, any comments please. Thank you.

·
Registered
461 Posts
There was a recent thread about battery maintainers:
Battery storage

If you are planning long term storage, then I would suggest driving it until the gas tank is nearly empty, then filling with ethanol free gas and adding fuel stabilizer. Drive a little while after doing this to make sure the fuel system is replenished with the fresh gas and stabilizer.

I would also overfill the tires to around 45 psi, and consider changing the oil. These were the only steps I took when storing my motorcycle for the winter.

·
Registered
12,205 Posts
Why not just go outside, start it up, and let it run for 10-15 minutes and/or drive it around the block a time or two? Yes, you can let a vehicle sit but even if you take all the precautions mentioned above it is still not good for the vehicle.

·
Registered
753 Posts
1) Battery tender on the battery.
2) Full tank of gas with stabilizer (run the engine for 3-5 mins after putting in the stabilizer so it makes
Its way into the engine from the fuel tank, full tank so
No room for rust due to condensation above
Fuel)
3) make sure the air is full in the tires or lift the vehicle and put it on stands to Tires are off the ground to avoid them becoming flat at that spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
447 Posts
Why not just go outside, start it up, and let it run for 10-15 minutes and/or drive it around the block a time or two? Yes, you can let a vehicle sit but even if you take all the precautions mentioned above it is still not good for the vehicle.
While exercising is good for a vehicle you really need to run it enough to get the engine up to operating temps for a few minutes.

For a couple months I'd dump in some fuel stabilizer, drive it a few miles and park it with a battery maintainer (rated for AGM batteries if you have one) hooked up.

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,373 Posts
Definitely start it and drive it for a few minutes per week. Doing so will keep all the fluids, especially oil and transmission fluid, circulated throughout vital parts. You'll also keep the brake rotors in better shape. Damp air is enough to start them rusting.

Also - I love your kitten duet icon :)!! I'm a real cat fan. We always had one as kids and our latest one died a few years back at the ripe old age of 20.5 years!

·
Registered
407 Posts
I am not driving due to the outbreak of the virus, but I am worried something like the battery for example might fail. I am newbie to cars, any comments please. Thank you.
1. Fill fuel tank to full, than after you put it in the garage top off the tank from a gas container. The idea is to keep the air and water from forming in your fuel tank. I normally would not do this for a months worth of storage time, but be aware that if your garage gets warm inside above 80 degrees the fuel will turn to a vapor, thus the fuel tank could possibly allow some fuel out due to pressurization. This is one of the reasons you do not fill the tank with gas and continue to top it off, The pump handle automatically shuts off when their is enough back pressure from the tank which creates the ullage inside your gas tank. Meaning their is a air gap between the top of your fuel in the tank and the top inside tank.

2. Put a maintainer style battery charger on your battery. Better yet if you could plug into you wall outlet timer (24 hour style) and just put it on for 2 hours. This should he keep your battery happy for the duration of time parked. Stick with the mechanical timers, the LCD is not a good buy.
24 Hour timer: BN-LINK 24 Hour Plug-in Mechanical Timer Grounded
12V battery maintainer: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00068XCQU?tag=5productrevie-20

3. Engine oil for a 3 month period just make sure your dipstick is full, do not change the oil before putting into storage as water from condensation the engine will drip into the oil pan. If your oil is near to changing, wait until you restart after your long term storage.

4. For the tires, jack up the vehicle and put safety jacks on all 4 of them so won't create a flat spot on your tires being. If you feel really energetic take the tires off and clean the rims and tires (be sure to use a stiff brush when cleaning tires also do both sides of the tire not just the outside). After the tires are dry, put some tire protectant on them. I am currently using Chemical Guys VRP (Vinyl, Rubber and Plastic Protectant). It last about 2 months on the road, but when my supply runs out I will try 303 Tire Balm & Protectant. The only problem I see with this is that they only come in 16 ounce spray bottle size. I really do like Chemical Guys products, but they are a lot more pricey, but by far was impressed with 95% of their products except their air-fresheners.

5 Rodents - rats, squirrels and mice. If you are a person whom leaves their garage doors open for periods of time, let's say mowing or snow shoveling - be aware these critters love to make nests in your vehicles and they will chew up the insulation on your wires and sometimes even bite through copper wiring. I do not have a garage ? but known some of my neighbors that have had several vehicles wiring chewed on.

6. Last but least ,start your vehicle up once a week and drive it for 10-15 minutes. This will lube the engine and transmission, and keep the tires from getting flat spots on the, also will keep the battery charged.

·
Registered
461 Posts
The dude is asking about storing his vehicle for a few months, he isn't putting it in a museum for 10 years.

1: The fuel system in a modern car is sealed, there is no need to worry about condensation developing in the gas. Continuing to add gas to an already full tank WILL MESS UP the vapor recovery system, especially when it cannot properly purge itself because it is saturated with raw fuel.

2: I have no idea why you would put a timer on a battery maintainer. The whole idea is that you plug it in and forget about it until you need the vehicle again.

3: Absolutely change the oil before long term storage to get all of the contaminants out of the engine. The last thing you want is to store a vehicle with old oil. Any slight condensation that develops (highly unlikely in a few months) will evaporate after the first long drive.

4: Just slightly over-inflate the tires if it is going to be stored for a few months, no need to get crazy.

5: Always a good idea to eliminate rodents around the vehicles and property.

6: Do not start the vehicle. Leave it sleeping once it is put to sleep. The engine will not get to full temperature in 10 minutes. Continuously starting the vehicle and running it for short periods could result in excessive fuel being dumped into the oil, resulting in oil dilution. This fuel would normally be evaporated/purged when the vehicle is driven for longer periods, see #3 above.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Don't worry about gas getting stale or too much air in the tank.
Don't worry about the battery getting too low to start the vehicle.
Don't worry about the tires losing air or causing flat spotting by not moving.

What to worry about?

The Honda plastic material that covers all the wiring.
Rodents love to eat it.

Eat EAT chomp CHOMP.

So just place a few dozen spring traps loaded with peanut butter all around and under the vehicle and you're good to go.

Authenzo Mouse Trap SX-5006 Mice Trap That Work Human Power Mouse Killer Mouse Catcher Quick Effective Sanitary Safe for Families and Pet 6 Pack

·
Registered
460 Posts
Don't worry about gas getting stale or too much air in the tank.
Don't worry about the battery getting too low to start the vehicle.
Don't worry about the tires losing air or causing flat spotting by not moving.

What to worry about?

The Honda plastic material that covers all the wiring.
Rodents love to eat it.

Eat EAT chomp CHOMP.

So just place a few dozen spring traps loaded with peanut butter all around and under the vehicle and you're good to go.

Authenzo Mouse Trap SX-5006 Mice Trap That Work Human Power Mouse Killer Mouse Catcher Quick Effective Sanitary Safe for Families and Pet 6 Pack
Largely depends on your location. We mostly don't have this problem in suburban PNW.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts