Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the Oasis to my local trusted garage.

Bad axle joints, frozen calipers, cracked exhaust manifold, brake totally redone all around and some other basic stuff that the previous owner(s) would have caught during periodic exams.

Given the car has 201,000 miles on it, the garage said not to bother fixing it as he can't really tell if other things will start failing and it most likely would not be a good investment.

I put my upper limit at a $1000 to fix, but if i really want it done right it most likely will be more than the $1700

If I was handy it would be a project and cost me much less, but the best I can do is change plugs, wipers and oil.....

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Fantastic vehicles... Highly reliable, comfortable, practical, effecient...
I would try and source out some cheaper labor... Most of the parts that you are inquiring about can be procured on the cheap online... (upgraded calipers for under a hundred bucks from autozone). A combination of getting one's self educated about some of the more simple repairs, and sourcing out quality, affordable labor for the other stuff...
Everybody is different, and 200k isn't "low mileage" anymore by any means...

I am highly impressed by these vehicles... I just paid $2300 for a 97' with 268,000 miles... (now our second Ody).
I'm confident in getting at least another 40-50,000 miles out of her before she gives up the ghost... When that happens, I'll look into replacing the motor, and continuing to drive it to the ground....
Here's our ody's ( my burgundy 95' and the ladies' white 97')

Figuring the cost of new/newer vehicle ownership, I think that doing the repairs is easily justifiable... YMMV
Cheers!
Ryan

·
Registered
249 Posts
I literally just sourced most of these parts. Installation is a breeze thanks to Honda

Bad axle joints - $59.99 a Axle
frozen calipers- $150 for loaded front RL Calipers. $100 for NEW larger RL rotors
cracked exhaust manifold- $40 for upgraded eBay 4-2-1 header
brake totally redone all around (I am assuming this was what you were mentioning above)

You are not lookin at much. I have replaced all the parts you have mentioned and you can keep it under $400 to $500.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Maclete said:
Took the Oasis to my local trusted garage.

Bad axle joints, frozen calipers, cracked exhaust manifold, brake totally redone all around and some other basic stuff that the previous owner(s) would have caught during periodic exams.

Given the car has 201,000 miles on it, the garage said not to bother fixing it as he can't really tell if other things will start failing and it most likely would not be a good investment.

I put my upper limit at a $1000 to fix, but if i really want it done right it most likely will be more than the $1700

If I was handy it would be a project and cost me much less, but the best I can do is change plugs, wipers and oil.....

Any thoughts?
If you were closer, I'd make an offer to buy the vehicle from you and fix everything myself. Depending on what some of the other damages are, I can repair everything you've listed within a day. 201k miles is really nothing to these cars. As long as it was properly maintained, it should go much further.

Believe it or not, the easiest thing to replace from your list is the exhaust manifold. I had my old one out and replaced within 30 minutes. It was amazingly easy.

Personally, I think that $1700 is 100% worth it. As mentioned, these cars/vans (whatever) are very reliable...once running.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Again, wish I was better at fixing cars. I have an Itemized list from the garage. He was nice enough to print it all out for me, although his general opinion was don't bother.

Time is another variable I wish I had more of.

I'm in a training class at the moment but will try to get all the info put up and you can tell me what you think.

·
Registered
455 Posts
You took it to a "Trusted Garage", and he told you not to even bother having it fixed??

Either he see's something more than you've listed, or he doesn't want the work. I'm no big Honda Guru, but these cars are great. That is, unless you've inherited a lemon.

Just my opinion...

[edit]
If you lived near me, I'd install all of those parts for $250...and I'd almost think that I was robbing you!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
There is a lot more than I posted, not counting all the belts that need to be replaced as well as the timing belts.

He quoted calipers are $130 each which was comparable to what you guys mentioned. So brakes all the way around with calipers, all 4 rotors and associated parts came to about $600 in parts and he said $200 to install which again is fairly in line.

Ball Joints $160
right/left driveshafts $443 parts in install
transmission flush/fill $100
All belts replaced including timing belt $487
Spark plug wires/plugs install $140 (this i could do myself and save $40)
new battery install/clean cables replace $116 (most good batteries here are $95+)

He would not speculate on the manifold unless he pulled it apart, and he thought it may be just carbon fill intake that needs cleaning. So i guess add whatever the manifold would run (Check engine light is on)
And it needs a general all around tune up, add that too...
There is an oil leak somewhere to the tune of a quart a month and body in so so shape with rust spots on some door edges and around rear wiper.

So as you see, nothing entirely out of line and quite reasonable for a garage.

Would be nice to get a 2nd opinion from a true Oddy guy... but a Philly fan would really take care of a Hawk fan?....lol

So anyway, I wish I could do the work.....

·
Registered
455 Posts
Maclete said:
Would be nice to get a 2nd opinion from a true Oddy guy... but a Philly fan would really take care of a Hawk fan?....lol
We got beat, fair & square. I'm still a fan...just an angry one.

·
Registered
440 Posts
About 2 years ago, I blew out my motor in my '96 with about 150k milage. My trusted garage quoted about $6k to put in a rebuilt engine and other incidentals. I decided to keep my 'suzu and put in the new engine. One of the mechanics wondered why I'd put that much into a 10yr old car. Later he took it out for a test drive after doing the repairs, and remarked to the manager- "Now I know why the guy had it repaired- it's solid like a new car!"

Maybe we can meet up. I got a 1 year old manifold you can use for $10, 'cause I replaced it with a chromed ebay exhaust manifold. (It's common that the stock ones crack.)

I've recently redid my brakes, replaced one of the stuck caliper pins and replaced the piston seals. Went fairly easy over a weekend, the last brake rebuild I did was on my '80 Accord! Seals, pins, brake fluid, new pads, final turning of rotors- way less than $130 (unless you count your labor!).

I have an OBD reader to check your codes (and a Helm manual) - my first guess is you may need a new cat.

(I'm also much closer than a Philly fan, and as long as you're not a Packer fanatic- we should ge along alright! :stupid: )
-- pm me, I'm busy this weekend replacing my master cylinder. Maybe you could stop by.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just paid $2600 for a 97 ody with 177k miles. I'm happy with it. That work would not be too difficult and you might be surprised how good you are with mechanic work when you are done.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think the general consensus so far is go for it... Even with limited experience/knowlege most of these fixes are fairly cut and paste... If you decide not too, you sure won't have any trouble finding interest in the vehicle...
Once the van is dialed in, you will wonder what they were thinking with most newer/bigger/heavier tuna-boat vans on the market.
Cheers!
Ryan

·
Registered
652 Posts
"Tuna boat vans"!
Love that term! LOL! :cool:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks guys and kernel thanks for the offer, I may just take you up on it.

I guess once I get started I can get it all done, its just finding the time, knowledge and a buddy or 2 to look over my shoulder or slap me in the head and say "not like that idiot"...

I mean all in all the car does have a very nice ride and a solid feel, but I'm from the thought some others on the "why put $$$ in it at its age" thinking.

Maybe this car will turn me into a gear head after all...

The long and the short is I need to do the brakes right away, and kernel I am interested in the manifold and a schooling on how to replace. My daughter will need the car for about 6 weeks for some class she needs to take, then after that I'll have a ton of time to tinker.

I guess we need to get on our calenders.... and no, I was city born and bred, no cheese blood flowing here.... although I am a product of the CPS, so maybe thats a strike against me....

·
Registered
440 Posts
I sent you a pm, and I pulled down my exhaust manifold from the attic. Hopefully we can get together this weekend before I drive down to Atlanta to pick up my kids. If not, later next week when I'm back! Brakes can be easy, but that also depends on how bad they are!!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Ok, I've been quiet on this one, but the reality is, any car you buy used that is out of warranty, you should go through and replace 90% of what is needed here... people that sell their cars are usually just fed up with dumping money into them... So if you inherited this and you had to dump as much as $2500 into it, you're far far far better off than the next guy who buys one for $2500, then does it the right way and brings it up to par.... If you decide you don't want to bother, I'm looking forward to any inheritances you want to send my way

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Phase 1 complete:

Brakes all done, ball joints replaced. Garage was kind enough to knock off a good chunk of the labor costs so it cost me slightly more than just the brake job. Great guys I highly recommend them.

Car drives like butter now...lol

Phase 2 will be drive shafts, exhaust manifold and all belts.

Everything else appears to be "user serviceable"

kernel, would you mind clearing those bogus computer codes for me when we are all done? The garage did line item that one for me, but shouldn't be done until the manifold is replaced...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts