Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people,

Im selling my 2002 EXL, and wondering if Kelly is a good approximation. I had it in an ad and not getting calls. I priced it about $300 below Kelly. Any tips would be helpful.

Thanks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, guess no one likes Kelly....LOL

What would you use then to evaluate/price?

Thanks

·
Registered
513 Posts
I think Kelly provides retail, trade-in and private sale prices, so I guess you used the private price...

Did you check other pricing like the prices others are asking for vans like yours in your area? Edmunds is usually a good source for that. It could be that your market is bad for vans...

Nicolas

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nicomtl said:
I think Kelly provides retail, trade-in and private sale prices, so I guess you used the private price...

Did you check other pricing like the prices others are asking for vans like yours in your area? Edmunds is usually a good source for that. It could be that your market is bad for vans...

Nicolas
Thanks, Nic. Good tip....edmunds. Yes, I clicked private sale, and even avoided to click "excellent" to be conservative. vans here are everywhere.

I figure kelly is about OK. Just some wacco called and said my price was $2000 over Kelly, thats what got me. I'm gettingcalls from some strange people. One guy with an Indian accent askd me if Id take $7000. Without even seeing it. Sheesh.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Can't stop them from trying, but they can't stop you from saying NO!... :)

Good luck.

Nicolas

·
Registered
664 Posts
If you are going to price at kbb, you gotta back it up with pictures, records, and a story plus you want to advertise it in a high visibility area like ebay, autotrader, etc. Otherwise, take at least a grand or two off the top.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
So, tell us specifics and how much you are asking.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really appreciate your help, guys. I have it for 8200. Kelly says $8700, and edmunds says $7900. Its an EXL, no dvd though. 72,000 miles.

Original; owner. I know photos sell, but Im not great at pictures. maybe I should have my son do that...LOL

Thanks

·
Registered
513 Posts
I did a search on Edmunds for used cars around Miami (not sure where in Fla you are...) and of the four private sales of 2002 EX-Ls with less than 100K, two are at 6900$, one is at 5500$ and the last one is at 8900$.

Edmunds list

Nicolas

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nicomtl said:
I did a search on Edmunds for used cars around Miami (not sure where in Fla you are...) and of the four private sales of 2002 EX-Ls with less than 100K, two are at 6900$, one is at 5500$ and the last one is at 8900$.

Edmunds list

Nicolas
Thanks, Nic. Yup, those are high mileage, mostly. They are cheaper. Thanks why edmunds gives a premium for the low mileage of about $765 for my van. get what you pay for. Makes sense to me, eh?

I just dont think Im so high, or even high at all.....

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Pictures are a must. Also a nice write-up. I skip over stuff on CL if there's no pics and the person's listing is a mess or written like I'm his texting buddy.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I don't know how mileage impacts price with cars that are 8 years old and have 70+K miles. For example, Consumer Reports gives a price of 8100$ for a car like yours BUT only takes off 125$ for a car with 97K miles (7975$).

The problem is that people are seeing yours and others priced like these, which makes you look higher priced. I think people care more for how it clean and dent-free it is and how clean and free of odd noises it is at that age. You probably need to get someone to take good pictures of your car, to show its state.

Nicolas

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
nicomtl said:
I don't know how mileage impacts price with cars that are 8 years old and have 70+K miles. For example, Consumer Reports gives a price of 8100$ for a car like yours BUT only takes off 125$ for a car with 97K miles (7975$).

The problem is that people are seeing yours and others priced like these, which makes you look higher priced. I think people care more for how it clean and dent-free it is and how clean and free of odd noises it is at that age. You probably need to get someone to take good pictures of your car, to show its state.

Nicolas
Great points. When I sold my 03 with 110k miles, it was cleaner and in better overall condition than anything I've seen with 1/2 that mileage. A friend of mine has an 04 with 60-some thousand miles, and that thing is an absolute trainwreck. Dents, dirty, probably a lack of proper maintance, etc.......comparatively speaking, I would take my old 03 with almost double the mileage in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, people. Good advice. Yeah, pictures speak 1000 words. Time to get photographic. I disagree on the mileage issue, whatever edmunds eludes to. So many times I hear people say"thats all"!?

Il let yous know what happens. Gotta go out of town for 3 days...be back .

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
pippo said:
I disagree on the mileage issue, whatever edmunds eludes to. So many times I hear people say"thats all"!?
Unfortunately, these are the same people that are not buying your van.

Good luck with the sale. :)

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Edmunds is almost always higher....At least every time I have traded in...That is what I took into the dealer to bargain!! Then they pull out KBB ad we go from there...

·
Registered
513 Posts
psu ody fan said:
Unfortunately, these are the same people that are not buying your van.
I think it's the opposite, folks that are surprised at how low on mileage his van is... :)

psu ody fan said:
Good luck with the sale. :)
+1 :)

Nicolas

·
Registered
83 Posts
There are other ways to see what it is "worth" in your local market.

Check nada.com and click on Consumer then work your way through the prompts and selections. Using my 2002 EXL-RES w 113,000 miles, I got $6,175 clean trade-in and $8,550 clean retail.

Also, run a year-specific search on autotrader.com for cars like yours within a reasonable radius (small if urban, larger if rural) until you get at least half a dozen hits. That will give you a good idea of local asking prices.

Run a search on ebaymotors for your vehicle and select to show completed auctions (you'll have to sign in first). That will show you the dollar figures for cars that were actually bid up to a sale.

Take your car to CarMax and ask them to make an offer (you'll have to prove ownership). They will give you an offer that is good for seven days (at least they used to). That, of course, is the least amount of money you should take for the car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts