Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my '00 Ody to my dealer to ask about an oil leak. They put different color dyes in the transmission and engine, then said to come back after 100 miles or so. It was a small leak.
They also told me not to leave the dye in there too long.
Is the dye considered a contaminant?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Nope lol. That sounds like more of a tactic to make sure you come back. In reality there is a "shelf life" on the effectiveness of the dye to help them find the leak. If you wait 500 miles or more there is a good chance the dye won't be strong enough or may be blown all over the place and make it hard to tell for sure the origination of the leak. That dye isn't cheap so unless I was really serious about fixing any leak I found I wouldn't let them put it in to begin with. Let me guess, you hadn't noticed drips on the floor or any other issue and they brought the leak to your attention, then sold you the dye?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for your replies.
@pkrface - Actually I had a slow leak leaving drips in my driveway that had been bothering me for some time. There was too much residue on the engine/transmission underside on my first visit to make a recommendation. They told me to have it steam cleaned and bring it back for dye additive. After cleaning I returned and they added the dye. It was green.
After driving for ~100 miles I took it back. They told me I had an engine oil leak at the oil pump (is this common?) and traced the transmission fluid leak, at the highest point, to the Banjo bolt on top of the transmission for the fluid cooler return line.
They replaced the line and Banjo bolt assembly.
Afterward, they also found the gasket on transmission case sticking out a little and advised me to replace the transmission. That would be more than the vehicle's worth.
I had been experiencing other transmission related problems that I think is suitable for another thread. Might help someone else.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
A common leak on these vans is the oil filter adapter housing which connects to the oil pump. I would think it is more likely coming from the adapter than the pump itself. Part "1" is the oil pump and part "12" is the filter adapter. Seal "13", "15", and "29" typically get replaced at the same time.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Given the age of the van and the pending trans issue I would suggest that no more money be spent on this van, especially for small leaks that can be offset with an occasional top off. I don't know your current work situation, but IMO we are 30-60 days from the auto market will showing the fall-out of this economic hibernation we are experiencing. Low end stuff, below $15K will not likely suffer much, but above that there will be some significant adjustments. That will be a great time to invest in a replacement vehicle.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If the oil pump is leaking, that's a costly repair. Just in time alone. The oil pump is #1 in the parts diagram above. The leak is the mounting face between the pump and engine block and/or at the seal #2. You have to take the timing belt and oil pan off to get the oil pump off. It's probably not necessary to replace the oil pump. Just re-seal it. But it's one of those things - you have the old one in your hand. An aftermarket oil pump is $200 or so.
And then you should also replace seal #13 cause that also leaks. If you have the time and you are doing it yourself, then the cost is not much. I think the dealer wanted $1600 to replace the oil pump on my ody. I did the work myself. Working slowly, it took me 10 hours.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a small oil leak on my 02 ody and it was the gasket for the oil filter adapter, then shortly after changing that gasket the vtec solenoid which screws into the filter adapter started leaking, at this time the ody had roughly 230k on it factory gaskets just got brittle, had to change valve cover gaskets for the same reason. I have never had any type of oil leak that would make me think it was the oil pump.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts