Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I should have posted this in the problems forum, but here goes. Is a vibration in the steering wheel normal with the VCM engines? I drove our three week old 2011 EX about 200 miles last night in the 60 to 70 MPH range, mostly on a four lane with rolling hills, so it was frequently going into and out of ECO mode, and having to down shift. A lot of the time, mostly in ECO mode, there was a vibration in the steering wheel.

Is this normal? We went from an 04 Ody with a normal engine to the VCM, so I don't know if these engines are known for this. It just felt like cars do when the engine is starting to get in a strain right before the downshift. Normal, or do I add it to my list for the first visit under warranty? I doubt the vibration is a tire balancing issue. Thanks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Put 800 highway miles on last week, didn't notice any steering vibration.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I noticed something similar during one test drive (didn't notice it on the other one). At around 70 a vibration in the steering wheel appeared. It seemed different than the VCM switch that you feel. I didn't notice if the ECO light was on or not. I thought it was an alignment or tire pressure issue.
We awaiting delivery of a different Odyssey, so we'll see if that one has the same symptoms.

·
Registered
755 Posts
We have a month old with 2,xxx miles on it, and we feel the vibration also, not on the steering wheel, but the chassis itself. Probably the balancing issue for me though.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Okay, I just got home from a 170 mile roundtrip drive today, virtually all highway.

I have no vibration whatsoever. Absolutely none. VCM is seamless.

Now, my 2007 did have one, but I'm almost positive it was tire/alignment/balance related. Because it was being traded I didn't have it fixed.

But the answer to your question is no, it is not normal. So I'd take into the dealer without delay. It could be any number of things. VCM shouldn't be causing it--unless I'm looking at the ECO light, I couldn't tell when it was on or ont.

·
Registered
150 Posts
MFLetou said:
Okay, I just got home from a 170 mile roundtrip drive today, virtually all highway.

I have no vibration whatsoever. Absolutely none. VCM is seamless.

Now, my 2007 did have one, but I'm almost positive it was tire/alignment/balance related. Because it was being traded I didn't have it fixed.

But the answer to your question is no, it is not normal. So I'd take into the dealer without delay. It could be any number of things. VCM shouldn't be causing it--unless I'm looking at the ECO light, I couldn't tell when it was on or ont.
+1 The VCM and steering are flawless in my 2011.

As noted above, take it to your dealer.

Good luck.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the replies. I will have it checked out.

Other than that vibration and the distortion in the windshield that is very irritating, it is a really nice riding van with pelnty of power, and much quieter than our 2004.

And, it is sorta funny that we thought we were getting so much better gas mileage, until we filled it up and realized how much bigger the tank is. Gas mileage is better, though. Thanks again. Tom

·
Registered
17 Posts
VCM uses both an audio system-based Active Noise Cancellation™ (ANC) system and a chassis-based Active Control Engine Mount (ACM) system to cancel noise and vibration that can occur during cylinder deactivation
I wonder if fuses aren't getting installed or something when the dealer preps vehicles.

·
Registered
65 Posts
This happened to our '05 touring. EVERY time it was a engine mount! We had to replace 3 on our '05 and it needed a 4th. (we traded it in, before replacing)

I already feel it on my '11. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
In few specific situations I've found a very subtle and quick car vibration at certain low RPMs just before it finds a lower gear.

That also happened to our first test drive van and I've read that some other members who own 2005+ Odysseys with VCM engines have experienced something similar.

To top this, the first tank of gas it came with was terrible so now that I've filled-up on the usual place the engine feels much smoother, so I'll wait and see...

·
Registered
755 Posts
Does anybody think that there's a rev-hang before the tranny shifts? Like those hyundai genesis coupe?

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
richysh said:
Does anybody think that there's a rev-hang before the tranny shifts? Like those hyundai genesis coupe?
Do you mean like a very sudden RPM drop? I find that interesting sometimes.

I've driven several cars (i.e. turbo and its famous lag, cars with manual transmissions, cars with 4, 6 and 8 cyl, etc.), including the popular rentals so I've felt many weird behaviors, yet I find the VCM engine feel rather particular/new :confused:

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
NO VCM should not be felt (almost imperceptible) under any circumstance. If you have a vibration on the highway have your tires checked out, one may be unbalanced. On alloy wheels the balancing weights are stuck on rather than mechanically attached, occasionally one will fall off thus causing wheel ( and thus steering wheel if its a front tire)vibration.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
BTW on the 6 speed tranny's there are a couple of situations where the tranny can be caught with its "pants down" and "lug" slightly. Lugging is when the tranny fails to downshift quickly enough and the motor stuggles a little bit. I have a short and steep driveway, under certain conditions the traany will shift to 3 just as I get to the top and slow down to look before exiting since I dont come to a complete stop the tranny doesnt shift to 1st when I try to accelerate again the tranny is in third trying to finish the steep incline and causes a slight vibration and a loss of power (slight). I can avoid that by going up the driveway slowly thus keeping the tranny in first gear the whole way (or using L instead of D).

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Those 28 mpg hwy come with a few minor quirks. Regarding the VCM, on the hwy if you are the driver you can feel and imperceptible surge of power when it engages and disengages with no vibration, simply a feeling that all of a sudden their is a minute power "surge". Passengers do not notice anything its almost like an invisible downshift but the engine does not rev any higher. BTW the ECO light does not correlate with the VCM. ECO might light up regardless of how many cylinders are engaged.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My wife brought home our new EX last night. I've driven itabout 7 miles and noticed none of the issues mentioned earlier when test driving two other EXes. Ours has over 300 miles now so I wonder if those ones I test drove just needed some breaking in, or as I mentioned before, weren't fully prepped.
I remember driving an Accord a couple years ago where a number of the devices, like the radio weren't functional because the dealer hadn't finished prepping it.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
6sptl, That is a great point. I assumed that is what the ECO light meant, but I was wrong. Maybe it does not go to fewer cylinders nearly as often as I thought. Thanks for pointing that out.

·
Registered
66 Posts
VCM

I test drove the 2011 Touring due to my extreme disastisfaction of my 09 Touring and the revised engine does the exact same thing as the vcm problem on my 09. Its not a completely new engine even though the sales person may tell you it is. The vcm although slightly better is still noticable and extremely annoying. I cannot believe that Honda isn't addressing this probolem. I wont buy the Odyssey. I am either getting the Seinna or the New Quest.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Re: VCM

rvphd said:
I test drove the 2011 Touring due to my extreme disastisfaction of my 09 Touring and the revised engine does the exact same thing as the vcm problem on my 09. Its not a completely new engine even though the sales person may tell you it is. The vcm although slightly better is still noticable and extremely annoying. I cannot believe that Honda isn't addressing this probolem. I wont buy the Odyssey. I am either getting the Seinna or the New Quest.
Your loss VCM, is transparent. The quest is significantly thirstier and a significantly worse package.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts