Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi do you think if i should buy this? My friend suggested me not to buy strongly..

Wondering how often honda odyssey have any mechanic, electronic or device issue

should i buy it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Up to you how long you keep cars but in general yes. I bought mine for 5 years 100k miles and I think I spent $800. We drive a lot. I have 7k miles since June so it’s worth it. I had major electrical/audio problems in the last one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when did you buy it? what year for the car?

is the electrical/audio easy to break down?

i am thinking if i should get it if this common issue across all the odyssey owners

·
Registered
69 Posts
Do it!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hi do you think if i should buy this? My friend suggested me not to buy strongly..

should i buy it?
Do you normally keep your cars for 7 years?

If the plan only costs you $1,200, do you think Honda would spend more than $1,200 in those 7 years warranting the vehicle? If yes, that means they’re losing money on these plans. Do you think a company as large as Honda hasn’t run the actuarial tables on this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

If the plan only costs you $1,200, do you think Honda would spend more than $1,200 in those 7 years warranting the vehicle? If yes, that means they’re losing money on these plans. Do you think a company as large as Honda hasn’t run the actuarial tables on this?
so whats your point? should i get it? not sure i am following

·
Registered
306 Posts
I got the 10 yr/200,000km (I think those were the numbers) warranty and expect it will probably be needed with all the issues they are still having to deal with. Plus the new 10spd transmission and all the electronics. Seemed like a good gamble to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts

1. Of course they make money on it over the long term. They are expecting that most vehicles will not exercise the warranty. However, one sliding door motor replacement would pay for itself. As a consumer you'd purchase the warranty as sort of an insurance policy against all the bells and whistles that are expensive to replace. We make the same kind of decisions when we purchase health, auto, or homeowners insurance.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would go for it as long as it's HondaCare with zero deductible. You only need one failure to break even, and after that it's gravy. With all of the bells and whistles on today's vehicles it doesn't take much to run up a BIG bill for repairs. It's about peace-of-mind.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would go for it as long as it's HondaCare with zero deductible. You only need one failure to break even, and after that it's gravy. With all of the bells and whistles on today's vehicles it doesn't take much to run up a BIG bill for repairs. It's about peace-of-mind.
Agree. The reality is cars these days are much more complex, with many more high-precision or highly-integrated assemblies that aftermarket can't match on quality.

But parts cost is only part of the picture. Don't forget about labor cost. A 2-hour labor bill is easily $200-$300 (or more!).

We've had only 2 warranty repairs so far (tailgate latch, 2nd row cupholder trim) and we have almost broken even on our Hondacare.

·
Registered
65 Posts

This is irrelevant. It's not about whether Honda are making money. Of course, on average they are making money. Just because they make money on average, does not mean they make money on each customer individually. I think it's kind of a misnomer to call an optional product protection plan a "warranty". It's more like insurance. But that is neither here nor there.

The issue at hand, as with all insurance-type products, is whether or not the customer has the ability and/or desire to pay for potentially costly, but ultimately unknown, repairs as they occur. The customer can choose to eliminate this risk by paying a known sum before any repairs occur, while incurring the new risk of never having ANY repairs. Each customer has their own risk aversion thresholds for these areas.

The point is, you can't stick it to the proverbial "man" by purchasing or not purchasing the warranty. At the end of the day, as with all insurance products, you can't win. You can only do what makes you sleep better at night.

Incidentally, to the original point of Honda making money on the warranty: Honda also make money if you don't take the warranty and instead buy repair parts. So there's that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Keep in mind, Your resale value will be better if you decide to sell it and still have warranty left over.
Only if you sell it directly to a private party. Hondacare warranty will be voided on trade-ins.
Low cost of extended warranty is a testament to Honda's perception of quality of their vehicles. Good luck getting this kind of deal on a Chrysler van.

·
Registered
11 Posts

should i buy it?
DON'T YOU DARE spend another $1200! Put it in a "rainy day" CD, when you need it, use it. This is a rather NEW Honda and it won't have any problems that cost over $1200 for a decade to come!
ps: it's your money, but in general, these "insurance policies for NEW items" is ..foolish and co$tly!

·
Registered
1 Posts

should i buy it?
I am on my 3rd Odyssey. A 2005 that I sold at 107000 miles. No problems that needed a warranty. Second Ody, 2012, which I still have. 170000. replaced rear shocks, brakes at 134000. No other problems not covered by regular Honda warranty. I have recently bought a 2019 Elite. Just a few miles on it. I bought a Honda (4th Honda) for its value and dependability.

·
Registered
3 Posts

should i buy it?
I have a 2018 and have tried to ge an issue repaired for 22 months. The right front door will not always open with either FOB, the remaining four doors work as expected. I cancelled the extended warranty and requested a refund. If Honda cannot or will not repair this factory defect under the regular warranty what makes the extended warranty any better?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts