Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Only if you sell it directly to a private party. Hondacare warranty will be voided on trade-ins.
Low cost of extended warranty is a testament to Honda's perception of quality of their vehicles. Good luck getting this kind of deal on a Chrysler van.
It’s transferable in Canada, my dad bought used Honda Accord that had left over warranty which was transferred to my dad (we bought it from a dealer)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi do you think if i should buy this? My friend suggested me not to buy strongly..

Wondering how often honda odyssey have any mechanic, electronic or device issue

should i buy it?
I bought into extended warranty on my last Honda did I use it no had the rotors go bad as the 2014 had problems with them they warped but when I took it in even before the 36,000 miles just run out and was told it's a item that falls under wear and tear just like tires need to be replaced. Ask Honda anything you think that would cost you money to see if it's covered because if it falls under wear and tear you still end up paying. It still cost me $ 275.00 for rotors and had it done outside of Honda but having a good mechanic saved me a bit as the brakes pads were still good and I think if it were Honda repairing the rotors would had that added charge. Again ask questions if a led light fails will it be covered or is it wear and tear? I have to think about it and ask more questions, Honda has there way of making you pay for things.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi do you think if i should buy this? My friend suggested me not to buy strongly..

should i buy it?
My experience since 2002 in buying 3 cars (2006 Odyssey is one of them), is that I buy a 1 to 2 yr old car for $25k appx and keep it for 10 yrs. The other 2 have been a Lincoln Town Car and A Buick Lucerne. In each case I buy the extra warranty when I purchase the car, and each of these cars have had one or more issues that chewed up the $1000-$1200 in the years after the factory warranty expired. I do my own work in the area of brakes and other wear parts that don't require the computerized equipment to diagnose. The Honda was an electronic issue. The latest cars are very reliable, but it only takes one electronic issue to eat up $1200. I would buy it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Only if you sell it directly to a private party. Hondacare warranty will be voided on trade-ins.
Low cost of extended warranty is a testament to Honda's perception of quality of their vehicles. Good luck getting this kind of deal on a Chrysler van.
If you trade it in, you still get a pro-rated refund on the remaining unused warranty.

After years of buying GM factory extended warranties, buying my first Honda Care warranty was like having it given to me for how reasonable the cost was for a 96 month, 120000 mile $0.00 deductible plan!!! Purchased on line from Hyannis Honda for $1345.00 for my 2019 Pilot Touring AWD.

·
Registered
201 Posts
You have to look at some other factors, including your financial picture. That's the key - the other factors.

If you keep money in the bank that's one thing. If you run credit card debt that's another. Will a major repair sink your finances? How long will you keep a car before you want a new one? Do you have a multi-car family where you can vary the usage if it's getting tight on the length of the extended warranty? Then there's the peace of mind issue, which has to be worth something. It is also worth something if you sell before the extended warranty expires.

You will be buying peace of mind, is one way to look at it. What is that worth to you? Then, this is also a bet, a gamble of sorts, and you should look at it this way, too. You are betting against Honda, and the odds are that you will lose some money - but only up to the price you pay for that warranty. One of those bets is whether you can fully use the mileage coverage you buy. Maybe Honda is betting you won't use all of the miles you buy or you run out of miles with time left on the extended warranty? If you buy the policy you have already lost the price of the policy but you can expect that your car will not cost anythiing to fix, for the limits on your policy. This warranty will likely not cover routine maintenence, like oil and transmission fluid changes, brakes, batteries, bulbs, belts, refrigerant, tires, etc. These items will cost more than this warranty, over its lifespan.

I assume you do not do your own work. Do you have an independent shop you trust? If not, maybe you should find one. In my experience my local Pep Boys does good work, and they have been honest with my friends. One (unnecessary) repair I know about that was done at a dealership would have cost less than half at Pep Boys - I went there and asked.

Know that you will pay one repair rate at Honda, while Honda pays its dealers at a different rate for the same warranty repair, and that is figured into the cost of an extended warranty. It's a discount of sorts.

Other notes - You do not have to buy an extended warranty when you buy the vehicle. You need to ask how long you have before buying the extended warranty, and how much more it will cost if you wait to buy. You can buy one up until the end of the factory warranty. The cost may go up at a year or a year and a half into your factory warranty, and/or at a specific mileage. Do you use a vehicle the same way year after year, or does your annual mileage vary - will you actually use the vehicle for the miles you purchase? Then, will you keep the vehicle for an extended period of time, like after this warranty expires? The older your car gets, the more things it will need, but you can expect to run it maybe 250k if you want to keep it running, which will cost less than buying a new one.

If you do buy an extended warranty, buy it from Honda and call around, even out of state, for your best pricing. Salesmen love to sell these at whatever they can get for them. Some geographical areas are more competitive than others - like Chicago and other major cities. Expect to pay more at your local dealer.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Consumer Reports says not to, but we've had the HondaCare extended warranties on all of our Hondas and have never lost money on one.

It's possible for both the consumer and Honda to come out ahead. If I took one of our cars to the Honda dealer for a repair, I'd pay MSRP for the parts and full price for the labor -- but I'm pretty sure that Honda won't reimburse the Honda dealer at that rate.

Definitely buy the warranty from Honda, and shop around. None of ours were purchased from the Honda dealer that sold the car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought one for my 2005 Odyssey Touring (or whatever the top of the line was). That model had engine mounts that would break often. Also something with the steering. Total repairs that I did not pay for were easily 6000$. Most of the time the decrease in driveability was not very noticeable before a repair. They would find the problem at routine maintenance. But then they would fix it and I would remember that that was the way that it was supposed to drive.

I think that it is just luck. Good luck if it is lemony and bad luck if it is a gem.

·
Registered
105 Posts

should i buy it?
BUY IT! The price is really good. In my recent experience, '12 EX-L, Honda's are not as reliable as you think they will be.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I wouldn't buy.

My parents had purchased the extended warranty at the same time they bought the '07 Odyssey I now own. They owned it only 1 year before they sold it to me and transferred the warranty. In the 8 years / 80,000 miles the warranty was in place I had NO repairs covered by the warranty.

I also had a 2005 Chrysler 300C which was one of the least reliable cars I've owned as it aged. While I didn't have an extended warranty, even it had no repairs that would have been covered under an extended warranty if I had purchased one.

Based on my experience, I turned down getting an extended warranty on my last new car purchase, a 2016 Subaru Legacy. In my opinion it's much better to save the money and take the risk and just have an adequate emergency fund in case the bet doesn't pay off.

·
Registered
109 Posts
  1. Of course they make money on it over the long term. They are expecting that most vehicles will not exercise the warranty. However, one sliding door motor replacement would pay for itself. As a consumer you'd purchase the warranty as sort of an insurance policy against all the bells and whistles that are expensive to replace. We make the same kind of decisions when we purchase health, auto, or homeowners insurance.
bumper to bumper does not mean everything is covered; there are a lot of exemptions (door motor might be one of them). I extended mine on the 2009, I thought fix would covered under warranty, CSR showed me fine prints of the exemptions.

·
Registered
22 Posts
bumper to bumper does not mean everything is covered; there are a lot of exemptions (door motor might be one of them). I extended mine on the 2009, I thought fix would covered under warranty, CSR showed me fine prints of the exemptions.
True. Always read the fine print. A lot of dealers in my area offer this "lifetime" power-train warranty. I kept asking what I needed to do to keep from voiding the warranty, and no dealer could answer the question. So I asked for a sample contract. I read the fine print and it said you had to follow the manufacturers maintenance schedule. Ok... so I ask to see Honda's maintenance schedule for the 2019 Ody. The dealers couldn't find one because there isn't one. The car just tells you now when it needs stuff. They could only offer me the dealer's recommended maintenance per mile marker. I'm all for free power-train components, but those lifetimes couldn't be easier to void... so there is really no value to them.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Greetings,

Same scenarios as Florida. Our 2005 had multiple issues, and the main one was the motor mounts. Between parts, labor and rental cars, Hondacare spent over $6K. It cost me $1,200 to buy it. Piece of mind is worth a lot. :)
Regards,

hbcsc153

I bought one for my 2005 Odyssey Touring (or whatever the top of the line was). That model had engine mounts that would break often. Also something with the steering. Total repairs that I did not pay for were easily 6000$. Most of the time the decrease in driveability was not very noticeable before a repair. They would find the problem at routine maintenance. But then they would fix it and I would remember that that was the way that it was supposed to drive.

I think that it is just luck. Good luck if it is lemony and bad luck if it is a gem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought one on my 2012 touring for about $1200. Had engine work done 3x and some work done on transmission. Oh and also an alternator replaced. I think I easily covered my $1200 and I sold the van right when the warrantee expired.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Having read so many posts that say the dealer "can't find the problem so no fix" when they have to suck up the cost, I wonder how valuable the extended warranty will be in some cases.

On the other hand, I wonder if the dealer "can find the problem and fix it" if there is no warranty and I will pay for it? Maybe paying $1200 at that time will work. Just a thought.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I purchased an extended warranty on a Plymouth once! The stupid van would not die and I never purchased another one. Since moving to Honda that has been a good move. If you follow recommendations on maintenance they can last a long time. My 2011 six speed is at 210K and climbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just a quick note from an economist:

These warranties are priced on average to make the average consumer exactly indifferent between buying an extended warranty or not. What should push you over the edge of buying is your appetite for risk. If you are risk averse, then you should buy it if your cost of the risk is more than $1200. This cost isn't necessarily the cost of repairs, but also the cost associated with the uncertainty of having a warranty covered breakdown. If you are risk neutral, then, because of the way these are priced, you'll on average be indifferent between buying or not.

If you are risk-loving, then put some petrol on your wheels and floor it... :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Per Ned Flanders of "The Simpsons" fame when asked by Homer why he doesn't have homeowner insurance: "I'm against gambling and I consider insurance to be gambling."

My experience with buying factory extended warranties over the years on Honda Odys and Lexus vehicles - even if you don't get 100% of your money back in n/c repairs, the increased value when selling your vehicle returns at least 50% of the policy cost.

And with the new gen potential problems in the 2018+ Odys...foolish not to buy such a policy at the cheapest price online.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not cheap in Florida. We can’t buy a Honda care out of state. So we are stuck spending $2800 for it. Anyone know a way around this?

·
Registered
73 Posts
The people that have not had problems with their cars will tell you an extended warranty is a waste of money, and that’s understandable. On the other hand, I’ve had transmissions, navigation units, differentials, etc replaced under extended warranty in my other cars. Some of these were $10,000+ repair bills. So, I’m a big believer in extended warranties. Additionally, with all the problems I have had with my 2018 Elite (front strut, front subframe, Nav/Audio system), I would get an extended warranty. You know how much those repairs would have cost if my car was out of warranty? A lot. The only reason why I didn’t get an extended warranty yet is because I decided not to keep the van when my lease ends. It’s had way too many issues.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts