Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently got a 2008 Odyssey. I'm not thrilled with it but the wife & kids like it. One problem I have is that there are so many references to the 'dealer'. For a car with 55K we have had too many problems already -- battery issues and noisy rear wheel bearings. The dealer was not helpful in either case. They just want a piece of the action. The battery was on me while the bearings were replaced by them only after intervention from Honda (and luckily an excellent post from this site encouraged me to put a little pressure on Honda to get results).

Anyway -- how easy is the Odyssey to work on yourself? I have the tools and some experience working on early-90's Volvos -- but I open up the hood of the Odyssey and there seems to be NO space to work. I looked at the procedure for changing the timing belt and it seems as though one side of the car needs to be dismantled! Apparently not for the faint-hearted. I would be able to take my time to solve problems -- we have 3 cars. I'm ready to try -- any general comments on this? Is this a good site for DIY info? Are there others?

Thanks,

Rob

·
Registered
23 Posts
Rob, welcome to this site!!

As far as a good DIY site, there is some really good information here. I found the service manual on ebay (the download/cd version) for 20 dollars or so? I havent personally bought one, but a friend has purchased that style for another vehicle and he said it is like a Chiltons/Haynes. Not as thorough as an actual FSM (Factory Service Manual), but better than a stick in the eye.

As far as wrenching on your car, as always take it easy go slow and read.

I have looked at the local parts giants and havent been able to find a paper version of the Chiltons/Haynes.

S

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'd suggest the Honda's are relatively easy to work on. I consider the Helm service manual a must. An OBD II code reader is also valuable.

I'm not a mechanic but I prefer to do what I can with our vehicles. I do regular maintenance such as fluid and filter changes, tire rotations, etc. Also do brake maintenance, timing belts, valve adjustments, clutch replacement, and the like.

Reading / studying the Helm manual is valuable, as is reviewing what others have shared on the 'Net, such as Odyclub. Having the right tools is critical.

I've also learned that if I frustrated with something (or tired of working on it), it's always a good idea to walk away for a while.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Rarely will something go wrong that you can't fix yourself. Look at the great DIYs and decide what you are up for and what you aren't. Maybe you don't feel like doing the timing belt, but you will have saved so much doing your own brakes etc that you will feel fine about spending whatever the cheapest nearby dealer wants.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.