Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Is there a way to turn off initial nav screen?

13K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  groupset 
#1 ·
I did a search on this forum but I guess i am not using the right search terms.

Is there a way to make the nav system default to a particular screen at startup?

#2 ·
I agree - having to press to press the same damn buttons each time I start the car is dumb. I wouldn't mind it starting with the menu screen each time but I'm really tired of seeing that disclaimer screen. (Please don't tell me it's a liability thing - any lawyer can easily show that no one reads that screen after the first time.)

A related question: is there some way to do away with the password request? It requests a password EVERY TIME that I want to select from my list of personal places - even if I just selected one a minute ago!!! I'm the only user of my car so it seems totally ridiculous to have to authenticate myself each time. (Can't imagine it's any less stupid for couples. Your spouse is the one most likely to be interacting with the NAV while you're driving - of course they're going to need your password!)

Currently, I defined a zero-length password. But it STILL asks for it! At least I can now just press Enter (or whatever that button is called) without having to enter digits. But it does seem silly for the computer to ask me for a zero-length password.

#3 ·
I'm not aware of any way to make the nav screen default to "off" or any other option at startup. It does go through the "disclaimer" screen, but after a few seconds and with no input it defaults to the "starfield" screen. Simply leave it alone after start up; don't press anything and it will revert to the starfield display. Once it's displaying the starfield, press the clock display and it will move to the center position - not a bad looking display in my opinion.

As for the password problem, I've never entered a password and it's never asked me for one. You or another driver must have entered a password to set up a personal list of destinations at some point in the past; it's remembering that and wants verification before proceeding. There's a way to reset the whole system and clear out all destinations and passwords; I'll check the Helm manual when I get a chance.

#4 ·
i also cannot figure out how to turn the navigation system off after you have used it during a trip.

sometimes i use to check something and then i just want to shut it off to get the time display.

if you set up personal addresses, i think you have no choice but to use a password. in a way i don't mind because i have my home address in there in case i get lost on my way home i can just select home and have it guide me. if my car gets stolen i rather not have the thieves know how to get to my house so the password is not so bad.

[This message has been edited by slocko (edited 01-13-2002).]

#5 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by slocko:
i also cannot figure out how to turn the navigation system off after you have used it during a trip. sometimes i use to check something and then i just want to shut it off to get the time display.</font>
Press Setup and then press Display Off. From there you can press Shutdown or leave the time displayed.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">if you set up personal addresses, i think you have no choice but to use a password. in a way i don't mind because i have my home address in there in case i get lost on my way home i can just select home and have it guide me. if my car gets stolen i rather not have the thieves know how to get to my house so the password is not so bad.</font>
I think you missed my point. Imagine you have selected your house and are letting it guide you home. Before arriving home, you decide to stop at the nearest house of ill-repute. (I haven't actually checked - is there a category for this under Advanced?) You go there only to find it is closed. So you tell the NAV to guide you home.

Now in this little scenario, you have selected three locations from your personal list. And in each case, you have to enter your password - even though you haven't even left the car or turned off the engine! I don't buy the idea of worry about thievery unless you are worried about a thief actually hauling you out of your car while it's running. That's the only plausible scenario where it makes sense to require a person to reenter their password so much.

By the way, if you don't want to give away your home, just don't call it "Home". In my list, I called my house "Don's House" and I have a bunch of relatives/friend's houses too ("Sam's House", etc.) so it's not obvious which one is my home. I didn't do it that way for the reason you state. I just figured that if I ever let a relative/friend drive my car, it would be less confusing for them if they saw "Don's House" rather than "Home".

[This message has been edited by donlibes (edited 01-14-2002).]

#6 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by groupset:
I'm not aware of any way to make the nav screen default to "off" or any other option at startup. It does go through the "disclaimer" screen, but after a few seconds and with no input it defaults to the "starfield" screen. Simply leave it alone after start up; don't press anything and it will revert to the starfield display. Once it's displaying the starfield, press the clock display and it will move to the center position - not a bad looking display in my opinion.</font>
Yes but you still have to press a key just to get that display! So you haven't improved the situation at all. Either way, one has to press a key.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">As for the password problem, I've never entered a password and it's never asked me for one. You or another driver must have entered a password to set up a personal list of destinations at some point in the past; it's remembering that and wants verification before proceeding. There's a way to reset the whole system and clear out all destinations and passwords; I'll check the Helm manual when I get a chance.</font>
Are you saying you use the personal list without a password? Or are you saying you don't use the personal list at all?

I want to use the personal list. Telling me that I don't need a password if I never use the personal list is rather pointless.

#7 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by donlibes:
Yes but you still have to press a key just to get that display! So you haven't improved the situation at all. Either way, one has to press a key.

You only have to press the clock once for it to forever display in the middle when the starfield screen comes on. If you never press another key again every time you start the van afterwards, it will go through the disclaimer screen and then display the starfield with the clock in the middle (without pressing it).

Are you saying you use the personal list without a password? Or are you saying you don't use the personal list at all? I want to use the personal list. Telling me that I don't need a password if I never use the personal list is rather pointless.</font>
Sorry, wasn't trying to be pointless, just helpful. If you'd like to sell your navi, I know a fellow over on the Acura-Tl.com forum that might want to buy it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.