Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2001 Odyssey with 125,000 miles on it. I have no service records for it but I have had the VIN run by Honda. Anyway, I don't know if the Timing Belt has been replaced I see the cover, but was wondering if it is easy to remove or pull back the timing belt cover to see if it has been replaced? I am currently unemployed and don't have the cash to get it replaced right now, but I need to know so I can save up the money for a new belt. Thanks

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
Most timing belts look the same after many years as when new, so a visual inpection of the belt usually won't indicate its age. However, if a visual inspection reveals oil contamination or physical damage, it needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
davedrivesody said:
Most timing belts look the same after many years as when new, so a visual inpection of the belt usually won't indicate its age. However, if a visual inspection reveals oil contamination or physical damage, it needs to be replaced.
Thanks. Probably just do the service then. :(

·
Registered
463 Posts
There is probably a very good chance that if it was done, it was done at a dealer. What about checking with your local dealer to see if they will try to find out for you through their records or Handa's records. What about Carfax?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tom34diy said:
There is probably a very good chance that if it was done, it was done at a dealer. What about checking with your local dealer to see if they will try to find out for you through their records or Handa's records. What about Carfax?
I have access to Honda's records, the service records only go back 2 years. Carfax shows nothing. The dealer I bought it from bought it at auction.

·
Registered
463 Posts
This may be a long shot, but I just watched a Youtube video on replacing a 2001 Ody belt (there is a two part video that was pretty good), and those guys put marks on the new belt to install it correctly. I do not know how hard it is to remove the TB cover, but maybe a look under there for some marks might help you know if it is a newer belt. Like I said, it is a long shot. Here are the links, if they work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stxFqIx2RNU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_kOPkpsi54&feature=related

1 - 6 of 6 Posts