Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Civic fogs up quite badly, and driving home today was very scary--it was pouring rain and the only way to get the windows clear was to wipe them with my gloves. My defroster works, but it is very weak and barely makes a dent in fog.

Any help?

Michelle

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Make sure you use the A/C with the defroster.

Rain-X makes an anti-fog solution that works fairly well.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX w/stuff
'93 Nissan Sentra SE-R with more stuff

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I usually put it one full a/c when I need to defrost. But come to think of it, I don't think I remembered to do that today as I was too concerned with keeping my eyes on the road and not sliding into anything (I have whimpy skinny tires that don't have much traction).

But nonetheless, the defroster is whimpy, a/c on or not, so I still want to get something on there.

Thanks.

Michelle

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, I was just out in my Civic and tried out the defroster-it's still weak even when I did the things you guys posted. I'd like to prevent the fog from forming in the first place, hence my first post. My mom was with me (my car was the most conveinent to take) and insisted on turning on the heater. I was fine with it off. But alas, the windows fogged up in a minute flat and from then on it was defroster vs. the heater.

And there's also the problem of the side windows--they fog up nicely too and I can't see.

I wanted to get this thread back on the topic of anti-fog solutions, but I had to rule out defroster operator error first.

Michelle

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I've never used any kind of de-fogging solution on the car windows so I don't know what would help once everything was fogged up. The secret for me has always been setting up the heater to prevent it in the first place. It's a lot easier to prevent than it is to control once it gets really foggy.

Usually, in my experience, if the heater is set right, a small car like the Civic (or any car for that matter) should be able to be de-fogged pretty quickly, but from what you say, it's fogging up almost right away when you get in the car and then is hard or impossible to control. I wonder if the fresh/recirc door in your heater is stuck in the "recirculate" position.

Does your A/C work okay? Did it blow lots of cold air back in the summer? Just you and your mom in the car shouldn't be causing an uncontrollable problem if everything's working and set right.

Here are conditions which should give max defog if the heater-A/C is working correctly: A/C compressor turned on with blower set to full speed, set to Defrost, fresh air, temp set to warmest setting.

If it's *VERY* humid outside, sometimes once the car's warmed up and the heater can perform at it's max, the A/C can then be set to Recirculate as long as everything else is still set at the max settings, but don't leave it set that way if you turn the A/C down or off.

Assuming setting the A/C and heater correctly, I'd guess either the A/C needs a charge or the heater doors aren't moving into the correct positions. Also could be a blower problem or blocked vent. Are the side defroster vents open and pointed at the windows?

With lot of movement of the driest, warmest air available, there shouldn't be a problem.

One other thing that may be contributing to the problem could be whatever the windows have been cleaned with. It may be forming a base for the moisture, preventing it from being able to dry fast enough.

I've stopped using window cleaners on any windows, car or house. I just use two microfiber towels - one damp and one dry to wash and polish the glass and the windows are much easier to clean and re-clean. They also stay clean much longer.

Last night, my back window fogged a little bit and I switched the rear heater to high for a minute to move the air back there and it cleared off right away, so maybe switching or eliminating window cleaning chemicals is another solution to the problem.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Happy Holidays!

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 12-15-2001).]

·
Registered
182 Posts
We're owned 4 Civics and all of them did a very poor job of clearing the windows once they were fogged up. I don't know if its because of the small interior size or what. I tried many variations of the A/C, heater, and fresh/recirc controls. You would think a small car could do better than a large car, but Honda sure didn't engineer it that way. BTW, it usually started on whichever side my wife sat, as she talks the most.
I would have to request a no-talking time period until the windows would finally start to clear.
But being able to wipe it off is better than scrapping it off the inside with an ice scrapper, which is what I used to do in the winter waaay back when I owned a VW beetle.

You might try the Rain-X anti-fog on just one area and see if it helps. For me, opening the side windows just an inch or so seemed to help them clear sooner. It must have allowed more air flow past them than what the blower vents provided.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, guys.

Chuck-I've heard somewhere that the Civics typically have weak a/c systems (I think it was Edmunds). The a/c certainly could use some improvement. It doesn't really get cold until I've gone a few miles. The compressor unit was replaced in July.

I'm suprised that the controls should be set to the warmest setting (with the a/c button in). It seems that using cold air has always worked faster. And doesn't the a/c override the heater in this case? (I learned this on a cold night in the Chrysler when a friend and I were shivering like mad and realized the a/c button was in).

It could be a blocked vent. I occasionally hear a rattle in there (from a leaf). I'll poke around in it.

The answers to your questions are all yes, except the a/c being strong one.

Come to think of it, the darn thing fogs up when it's just me in there in the morning. I guess I should stop singing along to my CDs.

Regarding the stuff the windows are cleaned with, the exterior is cleaned with regualar car soap and a power washer. I haven't cleaned the inside of the windows because I can never get it streak free. Another thing is that I drive four people to school (three girls) and they're always drawing in the fog. I wonder if the oils from their hands are causing the problem. The back windows usually fog up first when they're in there. I'll try to get the windows squeeky clean today and I'll see what happens over the weekend and on the way to school Monday.

I'm glad we don't get ice here! I've only had to deal with ice once and that was when the Chrysler was parked outside and ice formed on the canvas top.

Thanks for the expert advice!

Michelle

·
Registered
128 Posts
I like the idea of the no-talk policy for the wife! Won't solve your problem though, Michelle.

I think that the temp should be "comfortable" (not too hot or cold) and the AC button on. You don't mention the recirculate button, Michelle, so double-check your owners manual to be sure that it is set to "open" (picture shows the arrows coming in as opposed the arrows moving in a circle). That alone will make all the difference in the world.

Good luck with it.

Scott

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My Civic has both, recirculate (with the little swirl in the car) and fresh air (with the arrow going in). When I drove it last night I made sure the fresh air button was in, and it helped some. I'm fine with it being comfortable too (but for me that's warm enough to be wearing shorts!). I still have to get out there and clean the windows, so I won't know if that's the problem until Monday.

Maybe I should enforce a no-talk time too! Maybe also supervise the drawing in the fog like I have to supervise the little brats in wearing their seatbelts!

Michelle

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Michelle said: "Maybe also supervise the drawing in the fog like I have to supervise the little brats in wearing their seatbelts!"

Chuck says: "ABSOLUTELY!!!!"

------------------
Chuck

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 12-16-2001).]

·
Registered
128 Posts
A cheap remedy that worked when I was a kid in my dad'd Beetle (with VERY challenged defrost abilities) was plain dishwasing soap on a rag. Wipe the windows when they are steamed and let it dry. It soaps up a little. If it streaks, wipe it gently when dry. Rather than a mist, the condenstation forms a water film that you can see through. (the soap effectively breaks the surface tension of the water droplets). Try it. If you don't like the results, wash it off. It will clean your windows in the process. Don't make the soap solution too strong. And let the cloth that you use dry so that it is barely moist. Save it in a ziplock bag between uses.

Good luck,

John

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by John vdP:
A cheap remedy that worked when I was a kid in my dad'd Beetle (with VERY challenged defrost abilities) was plain dishwasing soap on a rag...</font>
Good suggestion, worth a try! A soap solution works on scuba facemasks.

Unfortunately, I haven't had to worry about steamed windows in a car for (too) many years..

Regards,

Maugham

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Funny, I was just on my way out to try that when your reply notification landed in my email!

oh, wait, I can't do it yet. The windows are clear. Maybe tonight.

I'm going to try it now.

Michelle

[This message has been edited by poodleluvr (edited 12-16-2001).]

·
Registered
128 Posts
Michelle:

If your new "anti fog" cloth is moist, you can do it on a dry window as well. All the misted window contributes is moisture to the mix so that the soap spreads.

Good luck,
John

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll have to try that. I got them squeeky clean with Windex this afternoon, so I'll find out tomorrow if that does the trick. If not, here comes the dish soap. If anyone touches my windows I'm gonna hurt them.

Michelle

------------------
"Isn't it fustrating how mechanical items will suddenly work when you're trying to prove they're broken?"

·
Registered
564 Posts
Michelle -

I think you might be experiencing that dreaded "sweaty teenager syndrome." :)

Seems like whenever I have teens in the car, all hell breaks out. Do they just breathe harder? More? Higher metabolism? Who knows?

But seriously - I have a 2001 Civic EX and it is about the weakest defrost performer that I've ever owned. So it is true that you're fighting an uphill battle. My Volvo was the best - them Swedes know their cold weather, boy.

Full A/C and full heat and full fan, are what works the best in the Civic for me - And everything else that Chuck suggested.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have had the same problem in the past...it ended up being that the Heater Core was slowly leaking anti-freeze which found it's way into the car through the ductwork...just a thought.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Darell, I can't rule out sweaty teen syndrome because I'm always driving it! But that does make sense, the girls who sit in the back do talk--a lot. And it's always the worst in the morning with them in it. Maybe I should make them walk?

I've been using full a/c, vent, etc. and it works okay. It gets the job done eventually, but I have to freeze my butt off in the process.

I haven't gotten to soap the windows yet. It's been a very crazy week.

Michelle

------------------
"Isn't it fustrating how mechanical items will suddenly work when you're trying to prove they're broken?"

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by poodleluvr:
Darell, I can't rule out sweaty teen syndrome because I'm always driving it! But that does make sense, the girls who sit in the back do talk--a lot. And it's always the worst in the morning with them in it. Maybe I should make them walk?

I've been using full a/c, vent, etc. and it works okay. It gets the job done eventually, but I have to freeze my butt off in the process.

I haven't gotten to soap the windows yet. It's been a very crazy week.

Michelle

</font>

Why are you freezing? Turn your heat all the way up also -- or doesn't it work right?

It's confusing, but try to turn your heat to max with the a/c compressor turned on. That's the beauty of the a/c in imports compared to at least the older domestics. With them it was either/or, but with most of the imports, you get to do both.

------------------
Chuck

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 12-19-2001).]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts