Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to make a thread and bother you guys, but we've had so much trouble out of our lemon 2005 we are looking at a newer ody. I am well aware of the vcm issues and will buy a disabler.

What do y'all think about this 2014 I found locally. We were looking to spend 10k, but If I can make it work Id rather have something with 125k miles than 150 or 160 like I would get for 10k.

Looks great has lots of features and several that are deal breakers like the power rear tail gate. I'm very DIY, even engine swaps but I'll have it checked and even the compression before buying by a shop or the dealer.

Really appreciate the advice and if you think there are better deals out there then I'll skip it. I've been looking and it seems pretty good.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don’t know $14k with 125k miles seems kinda high. Maybe if you can get him down a couple thousand

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I remember reading all your posts when you started working on that old 2005. My goodness - I was truly amazed and impressed with the lengths to which you went to get that thing purring. You don't scare easily, that's for sure.

That van looks pretty nice physically. You're probably one of the few people I can think of around here that I wouldn't worry about buying a unit with that kind of mileage. You know what to look out for. I agree with @Azdude that there should be a fair bit of room to move on that price.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Cromath, its been broken for 2 months and got it running today. It started squeeking so I thought it was power steering pump.
Replaced the power steering pump and no fix. Then the next day the belt came off. Ugh... the tensioner idler pully was loose.
Installed a new full tensioner. Didn't fix the squeek! And the belt popped back off. I look under and the cracnkshaft pulley seperated from the harmonic balancer!
Installed a new crankshaft pully/harmonic balancer.
Great, it runs! Except its leaking power steering fluid. the return hose is cracked. All special order part. I go to honda this morning and buy the 6 inch hose.
Install it. Starts leaking from the resevior! WTF! It has a crack. I go to Advance Auto parts and buy a new resevior.

I'm about to test drive it tonight and see how it does tomorrow. Still has VSA issues. I'm so tired of it. My wife is done. And I don't blame her.
I've spent 10 yrs trying to get her to be willing to buy a van. We rented one and she fell in love. I bought a lemon cheap one after a great 2 hour test drive
and its all I can do for her to try another van. lol So its gotta be a decent one this time. Luckily, A new good 2nd job and a big promotion at my main career means
its not a big deal. But we still don't want to get crazy. 10-15k.

Also just realized theres no rear entertainment on the first one I linked. thats no good with multiple kids!

These things FLY off the lots in my area. The honda dealer got in and sold 7 used vans friday. So now they only have one.
This one. 150k for 11,500... I really wanted the push button start which is what 2014+ only?
it also has a big dent in the right rear 1/4 panel that I don't like.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
The push button start became standard equipment across the line in 2014. Before that, you could only get it on Touring or higher trims.

I'm not sure you should place a very high value on the RES. Our kids (ages 7, 4, 4) prefer having their own screens and getting them their own little VTech tablets didn't cost more than a couple of hundred bucks. Other things like the power doors and tailgate are way more valuable.

Have you seen that van in person? I'd worry about how the power sliding doors work if that back quarter panel has been hit. That's a sensitive spot on these vans anyway.

Is that first van already gone? I'd target the first one over the second if I were in your position.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does the push button require the key in the ignition, or just inside the van?
My Audi only needs the fob in my pocket. I love it.

The first would have to be transferred. I didn't realise it was in another state and would be a $500 deposit. (which is fine) we can test drive some others and see how she likes it.

The 2nd one is the only one they have today. So I figure we'll go see it, test drive it and sleep on it. Talking to the bank tomorrow and we'll have a better idea. Maybe going back to 10k vans.
Yeah, I guess we can always ad the res. But my 3 year old enjoys it in our 2005. And we have a 8 month old who will eventually use it. But yes, I place the power doors, Power rear tail gate, sunroof etc... much higher than the res.\

I'm going to do some more looking around.

What would be your best advise looking at these? I did not like the EX or LX maybe? It was way stripped down.
If im paying 10-14k I want SOME features. And I really liked the facelift of the lights and grill/bumper of the 2014.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Does the push button require the key in the ignition, or just inside the van?
My Audi only needs the fob in my pocket. I love it.
The key fob just has to be in the van. Drives me nuts. I ask my wife as she walks out the door, "Do you have a van key with you?" She says, "I don't know. If it starts, then I guess I do." 🤦‍♂️😖

The first would have to be transferred. I didn't realise it was in another state and would be a $500 deposit. (which is fine) we can test drive some others and see how she likes it.

The 2nd one is the only one they have today. So I figure we'll go see it, test drive it and sleep on it. Talking to the bank tomorrow and we'll have a better idea. Maybe going back to 10k vans.
Yeah, I guess we can always ad the res. But my 3 year old enjoys it in our 2005. And we have a 8 month old who will eventually use it. But yes, I place the power doors, Power rear tail gate, sunroof etc... much higher than the res.\

I'm going to do some more looking around.

What would be your best advise looking at these? I did not like the EX or LX maybe? It was way stripped down.
If im paying 10-14k I want SOME features. And I really liked the facelift of the lights and grill/bumper of the 2014.
I like the 2014+ facelift as well (not surprising, given our van is a 2015). The hoods on 2014-2017 Odys are longer and made of aluminum while the 2011-2013 hoods are shorter and made of steel. The difference between the two is quite noticeable when you go to look at the engine. It feels like the engine bay of the 2014+ models is roomier than the older ones, though I don't know if that's actually true. To me it seems like it.

Seems to me like the EX-L is probably the sweet spot in the model lineup for you. If you can get a 2014 or newer, you get the 6-speed automatic regardless of trim level. The 2011-2013 models had a 5-speed auto in the LX, EX and EX-L trims. You had to step up to a Touring or Touring Elite to get the 6-speed before 2014. For that reason alone I'd be shooting for a 2014+. The 6-speed is a better transmission than the 5-speed.

·
Registered
13,796 Posts
If you want to know what came with what model, googling the brochure by model year is easy. They are also available at: Honda Owners Site | Tips, Tools & Benefits for Honda Owners

If you can afford it, don't mind cloth seats and don't want a power tailgate, starting in 2016 they made a model called an SE that was an EX with rear entertainment and the built in vacuum. Hondas way of using up parts.

I agree that the rear entertainment system can be installed aftermarket and probably have more features. Headrest monitors for instance. And more diverse inputs. You have to go all the way to a Touring Elite just to get an HDMI input!
I also hate that the DVD drive uses up the handy phone drawer in the 2014-2017 vans.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
378 Posts
If you can afford it, don't mind cloth seats and don't want a power tailgate, starting in 2016 they made a model called an SE that was an EX with rear entertainment and the built in vacuum. Hondas way of using up parts.
Honda has a long history of doing similar things (odd mixes of top trim parts and lower trim parts on a 'Special Edition').

-Charlie

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
There are plenty of odysseys out there with lower mileage, I wouldn't advise buying with that "high" of mileage. Around 125k-150k miles is when you MAY need axles, motor mounts, struts, LCAs, valve adjustment, etc.

Keep looking around, look for private sales. You may even have to travel out of town to see vans.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That price for mileage doesn't seem that bad to me. We just paid 21k for a 2015 TE with 91k miles that'll need a timing belt soon. It's a very clean one owner so I felt good about the purchase.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you everyone for the information. I will look at the links and look around for sure. Our purchase got put on hold for a couple months which is fine.

Thanks again!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts