Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some dealers say that this can substantially reduce the cost of your car insurance. Is it true? Is it worth it?

They charge about $360.00 for the etching.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ody-ranger:
Some dealers say that this can substantially reduce the cost of your car insurance. Is it true? Is it worth it?

</font>
I think your insurance company would be the only authoritative source on this. Let us know what they say.

Regards,

Maugham

·
Registered
342 Posts

</font>
If you want to know about insurance discounts with this, talk to the insurance company. "Don't" take the dealers word for anything on this subject.

If you do get some kind of discount for this, you can bet it will only be on the part of the insurance that covers the car being stolen. It won't make a hill of beans on your liability or collision coverage. Bottom line, you "might" save $15 on your annual insurance bill. You'll have to keep the Ody a "long" time to make up the difference.

As for the $360 for the etching? That's a "total" rip off. If you look around, you can find the kits that do this for around $40 to $50. Also, if you simply look the Ody over real good, you'll find stickers all over the place with the VIN stamped on them.

The only reason for these types of promotions is to remove money from your pockets and put it in the dealers.

------------------
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
'01 SS LX
Cargo tray, leather steering wheel, mud guards, alarm, fog lights, transmission cooler, in-dash CD player, Kelton subwoofer, under seat storage tray.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
It's a long story, but I had the opportunity to be involved in a deal recently. This was a dealership I had never been to before, but the sales manager was a friend of a friend and I damn near bought a WRX at pure invoice.

Ahem. Anyway, he presented me with the numbers--which included etching as a line item. He handed me this without comment. I saw it and immediately objected; he tried like hell to sell it to me.

It was $200. Pure profit to them. Meaningless to the buyer.

·
Registered
17 Posts

</font>
The sales rep that I bought my 2002 EX from said the windows were etched and explained the benefit with no mention of any extra cost. I thought it was standard and not an option.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advise; so basically this etching deal is only good for the dealership to make some extra cash. Well, guess what I'm going to have that removed from my invoice while I can. I rather use that money wisely on something else.

------------------
Will N.
New Jersey "The Garden State"

·
Registered
239 Posts
I always have all my vehicle's windows etched. To your surprise, it is free. Just asked your insurance agent, mine is state farm, they will direct you to a recommended auto windows shop and they do it for free, then you'll get a small discount on your rate. Don't give away money to the dealers. They have already made enough out of all the Odys they are able to get. By the way, the Odys are the easiest to sell, they do not have to even say anything in order to sell the Ody, the Odys sell by itself, correct?
They are just too greedy.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
If you Ody is stolen do you really want it back? Having recently retired from Police work, having found/processed hundreds of stolen vehicles...I wouldn't want to see my Ody again if it was stolen! Generally vehicles are abused and insurance companies only seem to pay for appearance 'wear'
Do yourself a favor, remove any items from your vehicle that you would miss. Don't leave your garage remote and registration (home address) in the vehicle...nice way to arrive home to a burglary.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Don't leave your garage remote and registration (home address) in the vehicle...nice way to arrive home to a burglary.</font>
hehehe Reason number 743 why I don't buy houses with attached garages!

·
Registered
67 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by OdyRocky:
If you Ody is stolen do you really want it back? Having recently retired from Police work, having found/processed hundreds of stolen vehicles...I wouldn't want to see my Ody again if it was stolen! Generally vehicles are abused and insurance companies only seem to pay for appearance 'wear'
Do yourself a favor, remove any items from your vehicle that you would miss. Don't leave your garage remote and registration (home address) in the vehicle...nice way to arrive home to a burglary.
</font>
However, if you live in a State like TX that requires insurance info to be with your car at all times, your address will be there. And, if you have programmed the auto garage door thingie, well, I guess they have an easy trip ahead of them.
On a related note, I noticed that many pieces of our ODY already had the VIN etched into them. Are all ODY's like this (side glass, etc.)? Our dealer never mentioned having performed this service and we were not charged for it.
Eric
'02 GG EX-L 1400 Miles
'97 MB Contour SE 74,000 Miles
'01 Trek Dash baby jogger 10 miles

·
Registered
192 Posts
The etching is supposed to help keep thieves from wanting your car, figuring if the thieves had to replace all of the windows on the car in order to get rid of it, that they might look elsewhere. Our Ody doesn't have this. When I bought my Toyota truck about 7 years back it had the windows etched, and they said if it was stolen and not recovered that Toyota would give me $1000. I'm not sure if my current insurance gives any price breaks or not for etching.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My CIVIC (I think the Odyssey, too) has
"something" etched onto the windows, but
it definitely isn't the VIN #.

Is there some other vehicle identification
number that I don't know about?

------------------
Nelson
2001 Odyssey LX - Silver
2001 Civic EX Sedan - Silver