Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my '99 LX since Feb.'99. I noticed tonight my clock wasn't illuminated after dark when the dash lights are on. I'm sorry to have to admit I never noticed before if it was lighted or not. Should it be? Is this a blown fuse? Or is it supposed to be dark. Seems to me it used to be lighted but I don't see any fuse listed for a clock light. Hmmmmm??

·
Registered
122 Posts
At night when you turn on your headlights the clock brightness get dimmer.

All 5 Japanese Cars I've owned did that

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried turning the dash dimmer knob. This clock is absolutely dark. Can't read it unless I turn on the interior lights. Is yours lighted?

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bigjim:
I tried turning the dash dimmer knob. This clock is absolutely dark. Can't read it unless I turn on the interior lights. Is yours lighted?</font>
Hi Bigjim,

The clock should be illuminated in the same way as the factory radio is when the ignition switch is in the run position. As others have stated, it should dim when the lights are turned on but you should be able to control this with the dash dimmer control at the bottom of the instrument panel between the tach and speedometer. If it's totally dark, you've probably just got a burned out bulb. I don't know what's involved in replacing it but I suspect from the other dash work I've done on my LX that it probably won't be that bad.

Good Luck & Drive Safe,
Steve

·
Registered
122 Posts
Do you have a Helm book. The 99 ODY was a different book.

Maybe Chuck can help

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope, no Helms manual here. Not sure how to access the bulb. I'd appreciate any advice. I don't want to pay Honda $50 to do it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Isn't your still under warranty Feb '99 is than 3 years. They should fix it for free

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unfortunately, I passed 36000 miles about 2 months ago. I guess I can just turn the interior lights on if I really need to see that badly. Or, I could just stay home after dark.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Or you could try to convince the service rep that since it blew out before the end of the warranty, they should take care of it anyway. Since it's not a big repair, they just might do it (worth a try!)

------------------
On the waiting list for my '02 EX Nav in RED!

·
Registered
568 Posts
I guess I can just turn the interior lights on if I really need to see that badly. Or, I could just stay home after dark. </font>
Jim:

Do you carry something they call watch on your wrist?

------------------
'01 GG EX
Mud Guard, Wheel Lock, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats
leather steerling wheel cover, Pioneer 1655 speakers, 1086 on its way
Lojack

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sonofagun;never thought of that! Of course, that'll take some practice, but.....

Thanks for the suggestion.<VBSEG>

·
Registered
188 Posts
Re: Honda clock

My clock does have some sort of illumination but during the day, my clock is barely readable due to glare or something. Why didn't Honda make the clock with blue or green numbers?

I do use my wristwatch to tell time but the clock uselessness bothers me.

Does anyone else have a hard time seeing the clock while driving?

------------------
2001 EX, White, Trailer Hitch, Back-up Sensor, Heartland Console, Mudflaps,comp/temp Mirror,Muth signal side mirrors

·
Registered
84 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dmicpa:
Re: Honda clock

My clock does have some sort of illumination but during the day, my clock is barely readable due to glare or something. Why didn't Honda make the clock with blue or green numbers?

I do use my wristwatch to tell time but the clock uselessness bothers me.

Does anyone else have a hard time seeing the clock while driving?

</font>
You guys are starting to scare me! If you can't read that clock while driving, should you be on the road driving??? One of the things we noticed right off, was how easy the clock is to read during the daytime compared to our old honda. In those spots that say "use headlights" during the day, you can't read the clock after you turn on the headlights on our '90 Accord in the daylight... but, in our '01 Ody you can still easily read the clock, even with the headlights on during the day. Zero complaints here with the clock, day or night... and I've been thinking about seeing if I need to get some real glasses to replace my drugstore ones that I use to read with. Guess I can put off the eye doc a bit longer after all!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Nope, I can't read it either. Seems they could have done a better job. But, then I wish they'd offer a comp/temp mirror, too, and they didn't.
Plus a few other things, but I still love my car.

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MerpsMom:
Nope, I can't read it either. Seems they could have done a better job. But, then I wish they'd offer a comp/temp mirror, too, and they didn't.
Plus a few other things, but I still love my car.
</font>
With no disrespect intended towards Merpsmom or Dmicpa, I'm with Skybolt on this one! If you are really having trouble seeing the clock on your '99 - '01 Ody you either (1) really need to get your eyes checked or (2) you've both got a problem with the clock and need to have the dealer look at it. I wear glasses full time but can function (ie: drive) without them if I need to. I could still pass the eye test at the DMV when I renewed my drivers license last year. Mainly I use them for reading but can still see my Ody's clock without my glasses with just a little squinting.

Think about it folks, this is important!

Drive Safe,
Steve

[This message has been edited by Intrepid175 (edited 08-25-2001).]

·
Registered
130 Posts
You're right: if I squint, I can see it. It's just that at my age, I want things REAL clear, REAL easy. Seems I'm squinting a lot lately.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I didn't really mean to get this started. I just asked if my clock had a light in it. I seldom drive after dark and last night I noticed my clock wasn't lighted. I really couldn't remember if it was supposed to be or not. After someone here told me it was supposed to be lighted I went out and turned on the lights and tapped the clock and sure enough the light came on. Guess the bulb must be loose or failing.

I can see the clock perfectly well during the day, but at night with no light in it, it is completely dark and I cant read it. I doubt anyone could under those circumstances.

Thanks for all the input. My problem is solved.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I didn't really mean to get this started. I just asked if my clock had a light in it.

Thanks for all the input. My problem is solved.
</font>
Oh, sure Bigjim, back out now!!

You never know what road these discussions are going to take when you start them. That's part of the fun of the forum as far as I'm concerned. When you think about it though, what's the point of having the clock if you can't see the darn thing, day or night?

To Merpsmom, I understand completely! I can read the clock without squinting but it's not absolutely clear. I can also pass the driver eye test but without my glasses, it's not perfectly clear. Actually, if I never had the glasses, I probably wouldn't know the difference as far as my distance vision is concerned. Reading these days, is pretty much an impossibility without them however unless the lighting if very bright.

Like you, I'm picky. I want it crystal clear all the time. That's why I wear the darn things. Such is life......

Drive Safe,
Steve

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK Steve. Sorry. I guess if I start something I better have the tenacity to see it to the end.

Truth be told, I really want to return to the days of the huge analog clock with the sweep second hand embedded in the dash board on the passenger side. Those babies had bulbs around the circumference and you could read a map in their light. And it was simple....little hand ten, big hand 3....easy 10:15. Look outside, dark? PM. light?,AM. Wanta set the time? Just spin a little dial; no setting there with your hand on some miniature button watching numbers spin past where you intended and then starting all over again. All the while ripping down the freeway at about 75.Life just got too complicated.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts