Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last month I decided, before ordering the USASpec or any other iPod adapter for my Ody, I would try the iSimple adapter first, since I could purchase it at my local Best Buy. Here is the model that works with our vans: iSimple - iPod® Direct Connect Kit for Select Vehicles (Basic Install Included) - ISIM73

Retail price of this unit is $179.99, but I got it for around $80 (employee discount :D) I also picked up this dash mount kit, also made by iSimple: iSimple - Dash-Mount Audio Input Kit (Basic Install Included) - PDM35

Since my stereo is XM ready, I figured I would try connecting the adapter to the plug above the drivers side kick panel. The plug fit, but it wouldn't work at all. I was ready to return it, but decided to try plugging it into the back of the stereo. I used other threads on here for installation advice, i.e. taking apart the dash, removing the radio, ect. Once the adapter was plugged into the radio directly, it worked just fine! So then I drilled some holes in the back of the cubby under the HVAC controls, and that is where I store the cables and iPod when not in use.

So far the interface works pretty well. I haven't used it a whole lot, because we keep our iPod in the kitchen on a set of speakers and have only taken short trips so far. What I like about the iSimple it is has two inputs: iPod and 3.5mm Aux. I have a Droid phone, so I really wanted to have the standard auxillary input as well as the iPod.

Anyways, that's my $.02 on the interface, thought I would share. Enjoy!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2006 EX-L and hoping I can install this setup as well. So your text and controls all work? My XM button does nothing right now, will that be a problem?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Basicly there are three modes, Aux 1 and 2, and iPod. Aux 2 is for the standard 3.5mm auxilary cable that I use for my cell phone. Aux 1 is used with your iPod, it lets you listen to your music and charge your iPod, but limited control of your iPod through the radio controls and the text from your iPod does not show up on your radio. Full control is available with your iPod (screen is not locked). Using the iPod mode, you have pretty much full control of your iPod through your radio controls and you get different options of text showing up on your radio, but the iPod is locked, you can't control the music directly from your iPod.

This is the way it works for me, with my iPod Touch 1st gen. YMMV depending on what iPod you have I suppose. Let me know if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Basicly there are three modes, Aux 1 and 2, and iPod. Aux 2 is for the standard 3.5mm auxilary cable that I use for my cell phone. Aux 1 is used with your iPod, it lets you listen to your music and charge your iPod, but limited control of your iPod through the radio controls and the text from your iPod does not show up on your radio. Full control is available with your iPod (screen is not locked). Using the iPod mode, you have pretty much full control of your iPod through your radio controls and you get different options of text showing up on your radio, but the iPod is locked, you can't control the music directly from your iPod.

This is the way it works for me, with my iPod Touch 1st gen. YMMV depending on what iPod you have I suppose. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Do the steering wheel controls work with this unit? Does it advance the track?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have an isimple installed and my steering wheel does not control skiping of tracks, I haven't tried it with an ipod or ipone, I have an android phone and use the isimple for streaming music over BT, I would like to be to skip tracks with the steering wheel controls as well, I have to currently use my phone or the tune knob on the radio.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts