Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently moved to the US, and brought our Akta Graco Duologic 2 car seat. We also got a Graco My Ride 65 over here, but the seat is a POS compared to the Duologic seat.

I've currently installed the Duologic in our Ody using the LATCH hooks, and it looks like it's well secured. Do anyone know if there's an official policy from Honda or other manufacturer using Isofix seats in LATCH cars ?

How come child seats in the US are of much lower build quality than Scandinavian seats ? We also have a Scandinavian rearward facing seat which is approved up to 55lbs, something I've yet to see in the US.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
You may use ISOFIX in the 2nd row captain's chairs or the center of the third row, where the lower anchors are provided. The spacing is the same as LATCH in the USA and the two are compatible. Technically, there should be no problem as far as Honda is concerned. Your greater concern would be if you are stopped by a child safety seat savvy police officer, as most states require that child restraint systems be federally certified to pass the federal standards in the USA with the appropriate labels. This isn't very likely, but it is possible.

Sadly, when LATCH was introduced, the child safety seat manufacturers in the USA essentially lobbied for a version with flexible attachments. They claimed they couldn't possibly produce new models with rigid attachments within time and cost constraints. Of course, somehow those with European subsidiaries managed to do so.

Aside from that, federal standards in the USA are quite different than those in Europe. They aren't necessarily better or worse, just different in many ways. Because of that, it is quite expensive to certify Euro seats into the USA, if it is possible at all. For one example, the foot props used in some Swedish seats cannot be used to pass USA standards, and therefore the seats fail. Also, all seats must pass with only a lap belt, common in many older vehicles still on the road in the USA. Many European seats are designed to have the shoulder belt wrap around the back of the seat, so they fail this required test. Obviously, these issues may not affect most vehicles in the USA, but the standards practically require an act of congress to update so they tend to be outdated.

Also, I understand in Sweden it is much more common for placement of a rear-facing seat in the front of the vehicle. This is not possible in the USA due to active airbags that cannot be disabled in most vehicles. In addition, no ISOFIX is provided in the front passenger seat and the force limiting features in the seatbelts for adults may actually be an issue with providing more excurision for a child safety seat, allowing it to strike part of the interior if not installed correctly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
caviller said:
For one example, the foot props used in some Swedish seats cannot be used to pass USA standards, and therefore the seats fail. Also, all seats must pass with only a lap belt, common in many older vehicles still on the road in the USA.
Thank you for a truly awesome reply. This explains all the things I've been wondering about.

The missing "leg" on US car seats is probably the main reason of the total different designs. A lot of scandinavian seats also have straps mounting them to the base of the front seat. Volvos even have mounts on the front seats for click&play.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
hovik said:
Thank you for a truly awesome reply. This explains all the things I've been wondering about.

The missing "leg" on US car seats is probably the main reason of the total different designs. A lot of scandinavian seats also have straps mounting them to the base of the front seat. Volvos even have mounts on the front seats for click&play.
Only a couple manufacturers in the USA (Britax and Sunshine Kids) allow their tether straps to be used rear-facing. Of course, Britax markets seats through subsidiaries in Sweden and Europe in general. While there aren't specific anchors provided in most vehicles here for rear-facing tethering like there are for front facing tethers, these two companies provide an adapter strap to allow you to attach the tether to a seatbelt anchor or to the base of a front vehicle seat or other fixed, structural location.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts