Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a 2003 odyssey EXL 72k miles. I am second owner. Bought it 6 months back.

I am having a few issues with my Ody.

• Recently TCS and CEL came on. Took it to dealer and they confirmed that 4 of the 6 cylinders had misfired. They reset the light. Two days later again got TCS and CEL.
I am sure that others have also experienced this issue. Want to know your experience and how it was fixed.

• I notice that when the speed is between 47 to 52 miles/hr, I feel the vehicle shake a bit and I can feel the shake from the gas paddle and thru my leg. But once I press gas and speed up, then the shaking is gone. I have no issues.. but it always shakes between 47 to 52 miles/hr speed. I don’t understand.

• My van has 72K miles. When the engine/transmission is cold, I notice that shifting from 2 to 3 is a bit delayed or I feel little jerk. But once I drive 3 to 4 miles, I don’t feel it. Is this common??

Greatly appreciate your reply..

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
First issue: ignition coil(s)
Second issue: EGR valve
Third issue: faulty engine motor mount(s)

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I would like to know how faulty engine mounts can lead to delayed shifts. My mounts are still original and just had the transmission rebuilt. I would think the shop would have noticed bad engine mounts.

·
Registered
355 Posts
At 72K miles you are almost gauranteed to have bad engine mounts, it pretty common for these cars. I had mine replaced at 65Kwhen the transmission was replaced. You're right the shop should have noticed it but it doesn't mean they did, or even bothered to look.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi New Dad New Van,

How can bad mounts lead to transmission shift delay?? As I said, once I travel 3 to 4 miles then i dont feel it so much.. Appreciate if you can elaborate...

reg bad coil, how to find which coil is bad?? I am taking my van to dealer on monday.. i wonder if they suggest to replace all 6... is there a way to find which coil is bad??? will one bad coil lead to multiple cyclinder misfire??

Appreciate your reply...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just called Honda America and spoke to them about the EGR. They confirmed that EGR was replaced in Sept,2007. I wonder if EGR could be a reason for "
I notice that when the speed is between 47 to 52 miles/hr, I feel the vehicle shake a bit and I can feel the shake from the gas paddle and thru my leg. But once I press gas and speed up, then the shaking is gone. I have no issues.. but it always shakes between 47 to 52 miles/hr speed. I don’t understand. "

what else could be the reason for that shaking?? or maybe the EGR is bad again??

Any help??

·
Registered
8,875 Posts
If the EGR is bad, the engine will smooth out as soon as you press the gas, not even if the van has picked up speed. If the engine smooths out only after the van speeds up, it's something else. Your description isn't clear about if it's pressing the gas or the van speeding up that makes the shake go away.

Another test: Going at the speed where you feel the shake, shift into N and let the engine idle. If the shake goes away, it's engine; if not, it's drivetrain.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If the EGR is bad, the engine will smooth out as soon as you press the gas, not even if the van has picked up speed. If the engine smooths out only after the van speeds up, it's something else. Your description isn't clear about if it's pressing the gas or the van speeding up that makes the shake go away.

Another test: Going at the speed where you feel the shake, shift into N and let the engine idle. If the shake goes away, it's engine; if not, it's drivetrain.
I agree with Dave. Get it to the " shaking speed " and shift to neutral and coast. This will diagnose the source for you.:)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Just make sure you shift only upto neutral and not overshoot the lever :-(
Fortunately it won't hurt anything, it just stays in nuetral if you slip up to reverse. Don't ask how I know.:p

·
Registered
157 Posts
the Shaking you feel between 47 and 52 could be a number of things, clogged pipe or solenoid in the Tranny or Bad pressure switches.

Try to get your hands on a Odyssey Service manual, there are lots of diagnostics you can do thats in the service manual to find out whats causing the issue. but the simplest is to change the ATF first if you havent done so since you bought it.

While you are at it. Also replace the external ATF Filter too. use a synthetic ATF instead of Honda ATF if you can. it will add life to your tranny if its not too late. and to go one step further, Do the Cleaning that herrhaus has documented so well. and Mels Tranny Cooler instructions.

Good Luck!

CK

·
Registered
1 Posts
Was a solution found to this problem? My 2002 is doing the same exact thing. Had the transmission replaced 2 months ago due to shifting issues, but the stutter was happening before and is still. Is there any way to test the EGR valve? I hate to drop $80 on a new one just as a test.

·
Registered
8,875 Posts
A bad EGR valve causes a vibration when cruising on a level road. It usually goes away when you step on the gas or climb a hill (richer fuel mixture). If that's your symptom, it's likely the EGR.

There is an EGR cleaning procedure here on the forum that you could use to save your cash.

I agree with you that throwing parts at a problem can be expensive, and also frustrating when the problem persists.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts