Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Odyssey with 108k miles. It wasn't starting great, and it got a P-0303. The dealer said there was also a problem with the catalytic converter.

So I had the dealer do an oil change and then 1,000 miles later do a consumption check. They said it didn't have an oil consumption problem, but that my spark plugs were fouled. I said "isn't that a symptom of TSB-13-081?" They said the spark plugs weren't fouled with oil.

So I checked out the spark plugs, and (1,3, & 5) looked like they were wet-fouled. See the pics below. Do I have the piston-ring issue or is the dealer right?

· Registered
2016 Touring Elite
3,416 Posts
You should be doing new plugs at 105k miles anyway - so put new ones in, install a VCM disabling device and drive happy. Yes, the rings are fouled up, but running on all 6 all the time will clear it up. (you are due for a timing belt service too, if that hasn't been completed)

-Charlie

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The thing is, they say my Catalytic Converter is messed up and needs replacing. Seems that could be the result of the piston ring issue. I don’t want to pay to replace the part ruined by their manufacturer defect.

· Registered
2016 Touring Elite
3,416 Posts
The misfire and oil through the exhaust can ruin catalytic converters - but you won't know until you fix the problem that (may have) ruined the cat first. If you haven't gotten a P0420 (or P0421) yet, the cat is hopefully still fine.

-Charlie

· Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
2,014 Posts
Are they offering to fix the catalytic converter for free? I think your van is out of the federal emissions warranty, so you won't have any luck there.

I think your cat is probably fine, even if damaged from the oil burning. You'll have a P0420 code if it's bad.

Install a VCM Muzzler, change the spark plugs, and drive on. If there are no performance issues and no check engine lights, your cat is fine.

+1 on Charlie's recommendation on the timing belt, it was due at 105K. I'd be looking at getting that done within the next few months.

· Registered
1,450 Posts
That does not look like oil contamination but more Ike you have really poor gasoline. Are you regularly adding anything to your fuel? The build up looks ashen like poor fuel delivery or a vacuum leak.

Use new plugs and install a VCM Inhibit device.

· Registered
1,468 Posts
Is there oil in the spark plug tubes? Usually oil fouling is a black mess on the business end of the plug - it's not liquid oil on the threads- that usually happens because the spark plug tube gaskets are leaking at the valve cover - was there any oil on the end of the coil packs? From the plugs, it doesn't look like bad rings to me - change them out (at 108k they are due) and see if the code is still there. If it is, swap the coils between cylinders and see if the misfire follows the coil, as it could be a coil going. (Don't buy NGK Ir plugs from eBay or Amazon as you are likely to get counterfeits - Rockauto or a parts store like Autozone, Oreilly, etc. is the way to go)

If you cat has failed, or is in the process of failing, you'll throw a code (p0420/p0430) so it seems unlikely that you are having an issue there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.